1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New House – New Service

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Xiteer, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xiteer

Xiteer Cool Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Hey guys,

I have been lurking around these forums for the last few weeks as I have been contemplating going to DirecTV and I think I have finally decided to take the leap. I am buying a house that is in Time Warner cable’s territory and I don’t think I want to deal with them. I am really looking for the HD that DirecTV has to offer.

I was just wondering how long it usually takes to schedule an install. I don’t want to have to go too long without TV service… do you think that it would be a bad idea to schedule an install for a house that I don’t technically own yet?

Thanks!

2. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    It will really depend on the current workload of your local office.

What you can do is setup up the install on or shortly after your closing date. This will lock you into any current promotions. Then as you get closer to your closing date, you can try to move the date up if needed or push back if there is a delay.

3. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Xiteer,

Do everyone a favor........wait until you own the place and have moved in. Two of the worst installation setting are: (1) empty house without TVs..the tech (me) has to provide a TV to verify that the existing cable works and then during activation...move the TV from room to room to verify that the activation signal has reached all receivers.
    (2) Moving day.......the movers are hauling stuff all over the house and the owner discovers the furniture won't fit etc. During all that the installer has to get the attention of the customer to go over the details of the installation.
    Close on the house....put the TVs in where you want them......schedule the installation...........move in. You can use the music channels (Disco Disco) as a work chanty for the movers AND the kids will dumb down in front of a working set.

Joe

4. putty469

putty469 Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    I agree with Joe Diamond, but what I did was schedule my install for two days after move-in. Knowing they are busy in my area, I did call a month ahead to get that date. My daughter benefited by getting some new DVD's to watch in the meantime.

One other thing - I closed three weeks prior to moving so we could massively renovate floors and paint. In that time, I inspected the existing cabling and decided to do home runs from a basement storage room with a power outlet nearby. You may be inheriting a bunch of splitters and old wiring in that new house. It was nice having an empty home when I was doing the cabling.

5. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Putty 469,
    You da man!

My favorite installation bump was..."the truck with the TVs is still at our own home...in Idaho." The other one was........"no I am not the owner, I am his neighbor...(in Baltimore, MD about two hours away).......just do your thing and I will sign any papers."

Call Center People CSRs.......should know better.

You da man!

Joe

6. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    I'm surprised the installers are expected to provide a TV to do the installations.

The installer should be able to say - Call me back when you have the TVs in the house, I don't have time to drag a TV from room to room testing everything.

Isn't it a pain getting a call back from the customer when they get the TVs and wants you to hook up all the receivers to the TVs ?

7. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Glennb.
    Actually installers are not required to bring a TV. I do because for several years I did fulfillment work. You invest in a ride to an address and the only way to verify the lines is..a junk TV or connect a receiver to a meter. Or, you can guess or just leave. Installers are suppose to install.

The rest of what you said is true. I don't mind providing one to get things done but five in an empty house...just silly!

Joe

8. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The other problem is that, even if you verify that all receivers are working with your own TV, half the time you're still going to create a service call because the customers aren't able to figure out how to get their TVs hooked up to it properly when they finally arrive. Of course, CH 3 and 4 aren't programmed into the TV and they lost or broke the factory TV remote years ago (many times needed to reprogram the TV's tuner), but it's YOUR fault that it doesn't work!

I have a little 5" portable B&W for my own use, but I got burned too many times with BS chargebacks so I no longer advise anyone to do installs unless there is a TV at each location. Sad but true.

9. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    IIP,
    Yup, I once had to advise a junkie chick what "co located" means. There was a pile of components in the kids room and no TV. What was wanted was enough extra cable to build the mess into an entertainment center. There was a list of jumper lengths.

Sometimes you just can't respond.
    I ran the A/O through the second floor wall, activated the box and signed the w/o myself. She was chain smoking while on hold with DTV.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.