1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New House...... 6.1 or 7.1 Surround

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Chucky, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Chucky

Chucky Legend

Jul 21, 2002
    Is 7.1 really worth it or will 6.1 give me the same effect?

2. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    When we were doing our remodeling, a good fried who's an electrician gave me some advice I regretfully didn't follow - it's easy to run a some extra conduit just in case you need it. Don't necessarily need to run the wires, but having the conduit in place now buys you some flexibility in the future.

3. ibglowin

ibglowin Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 10, 2002
    If you've got the room and wall space for em, I say go for it!

4. Chucky

Chucky Legend

Jul 21, 2002
    Just a little info....The living room is 24' long by 14' wide with a vaulted ceiling going one way and a open stairs in the back. I'll post some pics later tonite

5. MikeSoltis

MikeSoltis Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 1, 2003
    Buy the 'flagship' Yamaha and go 9.1 :D

6. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 29, 2002
    At 14' wide you will pretty much be okay with 6.1 and the one center rear. I believe having 2 rears in that narrow of a room would be overkill but then there are those that would like it that way.

7. Chucky

Chucky Legend

Jul 21, 2002
    I don't have $4500 handy right now. Just happy being able to build my own house.

On the other hand, I am going to buy either a Yamaha RX-V 750 or RX-V 1400 reciever so the new house will be 7.1!. Also decieded to make a pair of runs to the garage and a pair to the deck. I do belive the reciever has a zone 2 output. FWIW, I'm using 16 guage THX Monster cable rated for in-wall use.

Chris

8. ibglowin

Sep 10, 2002
    The pair out to the deck/patio will be worth it for sure if you spend much time out in the yard in the summer entertaining and sorts. Especially now with the addition of the Sirius music channels.

9. Sonnie Parker

Nov 29, 2002
    Oh yeah... we have a pair of Klipsch SA-3's on the back of our house overlooking our pool and they are nice. Of course we have XM Radio connected for listening there.

I used a similar wire... Pro-Flex along with Monster CL rated wire for our runs. Been using it for a long time and it's been good wire.

I understand those Yamaha receivers are nice.

10. ibglowin

Sep 10, 2002
    I have XM as well and have pretty muched stopped listening to it at the house since Sirius hit. I really like the channel lineup and the 200kbps rate vs the 40kbps rate on my XM receiver sounds superb.

Still love XM in the car and listen to it all the live long day at work though!

11. Sonnie Parker

Nov 29, 2002
    XM sounds really good on our SA-3's with what we have pushing them. I don't think it would matter much to us on the satellite programming whether we had Sirius or Music Choice since we only listen thru the TV.

XM in the car is the real ticket though.... I don't know what I would do without it. I mix between The Fish, Family Talk, 70's, 80's, Hank's Place, and Classic Rock.

I love XM's pricing at $8.33 per month for our main account and $6.99 per month for our second account.

12. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...

I started out my HT Craze with a Yamaha 6.1 unit. I upgraded to an Onkyo 7.1 unit several months back and it's nice. The only time I can really say I can hear a difference is when I play content that is THX EX encoded. Otherwise the results really differ from one DTS or DD source to another. THX EX, DTS EX, and DD EX material is still in it's infancy, just to be warned that True EX(7.1) content is limited.

Jason

13. Sonnie Parker

Nov 29, 2002
    7.1 simply takes the single rear signal and divides it between 2 speakers... unless there is actually some 7.1 material available of which I haven't heard of yet and then I'm not sure it's a different signal for the 2 rears although it should be to be considered true 7.1.

14. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...

THX EX, Dolby DTS EX, and Dolby Digital EX are encoded and are True 7.1 content. There are some EX DVD's out there. If I'm not mistaken I believe Attack of the Clones is THX EX. The 7.1 setup does work in standard DTS and DD, but what I am saying is that the performance is not as good as it is from an EX encoded DVD...It is a noticeable difference. You can read up on it on the web. In fact I think even Crutchfield has a small write up on it.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-H6m1ob...0&cc=01&g=10420&id=detailed_info&i=580TXNR901

Crutchfield for the newer Onkyo unit:
    "THX Surround EX: THX Surround EX soundtracks have an additional surround channel signal matrix encoded into the standard surround channel signals of a Dolby Digital soundtrack. When a THX Surround EX soundtrack is decoded and played back through a 7.1 channel system, you can hear more detailed imaging behind you. Although THX decoding produces the best results with soundtracks that have been recorded with THX Surround processing, this feature can be used, with varying results, with any Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 channel soundtrack. This unit provides amplification for seven channels and allows you to use two back surround speakers, which are normally placed behind the two regular surround loudspeakers."

I think that is very close to verbatim of what my post was earlier.

Jason

15. Sonnie Parker

Nov 29, 2002
    Yeah... if in fact it is an encoded soundtrack you should have descrete signals for each rear which would make sense that it would be more detailed. But if it's just 5.1 or DTS then it takes info from the sides and shifts it to the rear or if it's 6.1 material it takes that rear channel signal and splits it between the 2 rears. Nothing special really. That's why the performance is not as good as true 7.1.

16. Jason Nipp

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...

Never disagreed with the fact that it shifts the output signal via DSP processing for 5.1 or 6.1. Just making the statement of sound quality performance and that there is limited EX content available.

Are you the guy with staggered studding in your HT? How's that working out? How much sound radiates outside of your room? Right now my HT is my great room. The tall vaulted ceiling don't help my sound imaging and my wife hates how loud it gets when I'm watching a movie. I am planning to build a HT in my basement soon and was just wondering how the staggered studding helped.

Jason

17. Sonnie Parker

Nov 29, 2002
    Yep... follow my HT link and there are construction pictures available.

It's hard to say what is causing it to work other than a combination of all that I did but it does work well. I used staggered studding, 1 sheet of 5/8" drywall on the outside wall and 2 sheets on the inside wall and ceiling along with R-26 (2 X R-13) insulation in the walls. Also used double solid core doors for the entrance. I believe the staggered studding played a major role in helping with sound proofing and without it the R-26 would have been less likely to work out unless I compacted it a good bit.

As far as sound outside the room... well I can hear it but it's extremely muffled... but as I go inside the house which puts 2 walls between the theater and us, it's pretty much dead silence. Just ever so occasionally I can hear what sounds like faint thunder way off and that's when it's a heavy bass encoded movie. This is very rare though... usually my wife doesn't notice a thing when I'm watching a movie.

lol... Our HT was in our great room as well and the main purpose for moving it was because my wife complained when I would watch movies. The bass would resonate throughout the entire house... actually being worse in other rooms than in the great room itself.

18. Jason Nipp

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...

Exactly...You can see my dilemma.

How's that acoustic panel insulation they sell? Have you played with sound panels?

Jason

19. Sonnie Parker

Nov 29, 2002
    I haven't done anything with acoustic panels as of yet. My room sounds pretty good without any. I thought it would be too live but with thick padding, carpet, and now we have 6 Lazyboy recliners, it's definitely not too live.