1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New house - best options for whole home DVR to 8 TVs?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by tnedator, Mar 19, 2013.

1. tnedator

tnedator AllStar

Apr 29, 2006
    I'll soon start construction on a new home and will have at least 8 TVs (might be a couple more seldom used TVs). I would like the vast majority of them, at least 7, to be able to share the same recordings.

In my current house, I have six DVR's all with external hard drives (most are 1.5 TB) and connected with whole home viewing.

So, even if I could have 8 TVs connected to one HR34/Genie using the small set top box devices (have read conflicting reports about whether you can have four or eight of these), I don't think one HR34 would cut it in terms of tuners.

So, what is my best option for hooking DirecTV up to 8 TVs. It should be noted that rarely will more than five TVs be in use at a time, and I am considering getting an HDbaseT matrix switcher, so one option is to get 5 or 6 DVRs and using the Matrix to allow any TV to watch any DVR.

Anyway, I would appreciate any thoughts on the best way to have 8 TVs able to watch/share recordings, but only needing to have 5 TVs actively watching content at any given time.

2. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I'd keep 5 of your 6 DVR's (10 tuners, 5 TV's), replace the other DVR with a Genie (5 tuners, 1 TV) and then either get 1 HD receiver (1 tuner, 1 TV) and a Genie Client (0 tuners, 1 TV) or two Genie Clients (0 tuners, 2 TV's).

With these setups you will 8 TV's, using either 15 or 16 tuners and all 8 TV's would be able to share recordings using DirecTV's Whole Home DVR service. No special matrix switcher would be necessary.

3. tnedator

tnedator AllStar

Apr 29, 2006
    One thing I was unclear on in the stuff I've read was whether or not the Genie clients would be able to view recordings on the non Genie DVRs. Based on the TV locations, several of the TVs would really benefit from Genie clients (unless I do an HDMI matrix using HDbaseT and have all the receivers in one location).

4. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    You can connect as many clients as you want, but the Genie can only serve up to 3 external boxes at once (+ the Genie location itself), whether the clients are RVU, MRV or a combination of both.

If you don't need to pause LIVE TV and don't think more than 4 recordings would be viewed at once, you could serve 8 locations with a single Genie and 7-H25s. That would give you 8 LIVE TV viewing locations and up to 5 recording tuners, and fit on a single SWM16 (12 tuners total).

If you throw RVU clients into the mix, if you wanted to watch LIVE TV on them, each one would rob the Genie of a recording tuner when they were in use.

5. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    The clients use one of the Genie's tuners for live programming. The clients can view recorded content from any DVR in the network.