1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New house, questions about multi rooms

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by thedonn, Jun 11, 2013.

Tags:
  1. thedonn

thedonn AllStar

Jan 10, 2006
    Hey guys. I been a directv sub for way over 10 years now. Currently in a new house, coming up on 2 years. I only have a dual line HD DVR in my man cave and a standard HD box one of the 3 other bedrooms. So I have 2 bedrooms and a living room with no Satellite hookup. I wanted to see if I can add 2 lines running to 1 bed room and the living room but only get 1 extra HD box that I could move around when needed. Is this feesible? I actually called them and I got a sort of run around answer.

2. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    You can do that. You can have the two locations wired then move the receiver from one room to the other when you want to. Or you could just use an HDMI splitter and constantly have both rooms connected. In that case, I would get an RF remote for the second location so you could still change the channel from there.

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Well, it's feasible if you do it yourself! And possible the installer will do it, for a fee, or for free. I doubt DIRECTV will tell you it can be done that way as a standard practice; pretty much seems to be between you and the installer. This is my guess; I am not an installer myself.

4. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Hdmi splitter likely wnt work right, they often cause lots of hdcp issues. Same with using a hdmi and component out at the same time.

With that said, it can be done.maybe even have them hook up an extra box and then after the install by a week, deactivate one box and return it...m that will get it installed for ya, and you'd just need to learn how to move the box and make sure you terminate the unused location.

5. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    He could just have the first receiver setup as a relocate so that the technician is expected to wire it in a new location, then move it back when the technician is done. Just be clear with the technician that he is to leave the first location connected to the switch/splitter.

6. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Much nicer solution.

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    while this is possible as posted, I find this to be very inconvenient. I like my TV to be ready when I am ready

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

8. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    To what do you refer? What is inconvenient? No antecedents make it difficult to understand your post.

9. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    To what do you refer? What is inconvenient? No antecedents make it difficult to understand your post.

I find swapping receivers around to be inconvenient. disconnect receiver, haul to other room, connect receiver, wait for it to boot up,,,,I like pressing ON and be done

10. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Ah, I see. I was referring only to the installation. And I believe the OP intends to move the receiver infrequently.

Another way to go is an owned receiver which could be deactivated as needed.

11. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    He could just have the first receiver setup as a relocate so that the technician is expected to wire it in a new location, then move it back when the technician is done. Just be clear with the technician that he is to leave the first location connected to the switch/splitter.

Or yeah, do that..:)

12. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Ah, I see. I was referring only to the installation. And I believe the OP intends to move the receiver infrequently.

Another way to go is an owned receiver which could be deactivated as needed.

Exactly, that would be a more "elegant" solution