1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New HR-34 installation

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by montyshaw, Mar 24, 2013.

1. montyshaw

montyshaw Mentor

Jul 18, 2007
    Hi,

I got a new HR-34 installed friday and moved my old hr-20 to the basement.
    They hooked up the HR-34 to some thing called a cinema connection kit upstairs (where I have a wired ethernet 100Mbit internet) and set it up to use WiFi, and then downstairs the hr-20 has an internet cable running to something that has the coax cable running though it. So the old receiver can't get to the internet anymore.

Anyway I have a totally messed up situation now: 1) if I turn on that damn wifi thing upstairs, nothing using wi-fi (like phones, ipads, etc) can connect and even the wired internet gets screwed up (that took a couple of hours to diagnose). 2) neither recvr can connect to the internet. and of course MRV doesn't work either.

My TV from the dish works great, and is even better because they re-aimed the dish. But no VOD or MRV.

My question is, what the heck is this cinema wi-fi thing that is on the HR-34 and why does it mess everything up? And why can't I just plug both recvrs into the home network and be done with it? Does MRV not work over the home network? Why are they trying to connect them over the coax? WTF?

They of course are coming back out Monday, but I'd like to understand what they are doing to keep them from hosing up my home network again.

Thanks in Advance for any help.
    ]Monty[

2. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I think you have multiple IP connections to your DVRs and that's taking down the network. Or just an improper hookup.

HR20, which model is it?
    100 or 700.
    Press and hold Info on the remote and that will tell you.

Next question.
    Is there anything plugged into the RJ45 jack on the HR34?
    Or can you have a direct Ethernet cable back to the router at the HR34?

3. montyshaw

montyshaw Mentor

Jul 18, 2007
    That multiple connections thing may be right because I got the duplicate IP conflict message on a couple of devices before I unplugged the 'cinema connection wifi' thing.

The HR-20 is a 100.

The HR-34 has an ethernet cable to the 'cinema connection wifi' thing.

I have a wired ethernet connection available, but they did not hook it up.

Thanks for your help.
    ]Monty[

4. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida

If you have an RJ45 cable at the HR34 that goes back to your router you don't need the CCK. Get it out of the connections. The HR34 will do the network bridging for the HR20 too.

So all you want is a RJ45 line to the HR34 to your router. Unplug the CCK. Don't need the RJ45 into the CCK.

Reboot the HR34 and it should start working.

Now the HR20-100 is a unique connection. Both SAT lines must be connected.
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=200573
    Go to post 6 in this thread and you will see the unique wiring that has to be at the rear of it. If it doesn't match, the tech has to fix it.

Note: You can't just unplug the CCK. If the coax runs through it. I think.
    If it has only one coax, then OK to unplug. If coax runs through it, it needs to by bypassed.

5. montyshaw

montyshaw Mentor

Jul 18, 2007
    Well that wi fi thing aint getting turned untill someone shows me the dhcp and other settings for it. I know my network. I have never seen that setup screen. I think it using a static ip in the dhcp range. But since tv works with it off and the coax runs thru it, i am willing to give a direct coax connect a try.

Now to go read about the hr20

Monty

6. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida

Monty, its pretty simple.
    You don't need the CCK with the HR34. Techs are confused by this.
    The HR34 acts as a bridge.

Just plug in the RJ45 into the HR34.
    Reboot it.
    It will work fine with a DHCP address, I've been doing it for over a year.*
    You can go into the Menu Settings and Follow the Network connections if you so desire but it shouldn't be necessary.

The HR34 will then bridge the network via the coax to the DECA box going into the HR20, assuming it was connected properly.

*some will recommending reserving an address. I wouldn't do that unless you have problems later.

7. montyshaw

montyshaw Mentor

Jul 18, 2007
    Yep. Hr34 working fine. Got vod. Got internet. The Hr20-100 downstairs doesnt have the spliter setup like that post you pointed me to. So its not showing up on the whole home thing. Will have the tech hook it up that way tomorrow. Thanks again for all your help.

Monty

8. jmbrooks

jmbrooks Legend

Jan 11, 2004
    I also have a few ?? on this. I am getting a genie install today. I have ethernet at that point (living room) but not in the den where my HR23 will go.

How will the HR23 need to be hooked up for whole home DVR/internet? (MRV??)
    What is a DECA box?

9. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    The installer should install a DECA (DirecTV to Ethernet Coax Adapter) on the HR23 to allow it to connect with the HR34. They'll also install a DECA where the HR34 is going in the living room that will bridge the coax network to your ethernet network for internet access.

10. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    That is correct that it has a built in DECA but the installers have been told to install an external DECA anyways, at least that's the last that I heard on that subject.

11. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    While this is true, it's still "policy" to use a CCK.

12. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    Just got a new install last week with an HR34, HR24 and three clients. No DECA installed, just the HR34 connected to my ethernet switch. It's worked flawlessly so far (knock wood).

13. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    That's a different story...the CCK bridges the coax to the ethernet. It may be installed on the same coax as feeds the HR34, or on any other coax line. In any event, I don't consider the CCK a "DECA adapter". When I hear DECA adapter, I think of the small box (old ones white, new ones black) with coax in and out and an ethernet jumper.

14. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Might be time "to adjust":
    http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...ma-connection-kit-w/-power-supply-(decabb1r0)

15. jmbrooks

jmbrooks Legend

Jan 11, 2004
    So.....no need for DECA or CCK since I have an ethernet switch right at the reciever in the living room? The den reciever (HR23) only needs the RG6 from the splitter?

16. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    That's how mine is, although with an HR24. Don't think that matters.

17. Diana C

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
  18. Diana C

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    Correct...the HR34 can bridge the DECA (coax) and ethernet segments itself.

19. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Yes, along with a DECA to connect it to the network.

Yes it can, we all agree on that, just don't be surprised if the tech insists on installing a broadband DECA (just a regular DECA with a power supply) anyway.

20. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    I'd specifically asked my installer about it - because that's how it was wired when I previously had D* - and he said, "We don't do it that way anymore." One less point of failure as far as I'm concerned, so happy to have it installed without.