1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New HR10-250 Problem

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by holmzee, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. holmzee

holmzee New Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Can someone help me narrow down my problem?
    This has become a 3week installation (3 appointments only once has someone shown up) with local D* Installers... and I'm almost a week away from the next "appointment"

I recently upgraded from SD Tivo to HR10-250-- SD moved to Bedroom, HD in livingroom.

Installer (the one who showed up) installed new 5LNB dish and relocated old box to Bedroom. Local company was overloading him so he left before he should have when his call to D* became bogged down with D* computer issues-- they told him to go on to his next install and let me call back to activate-- I did so, only to discover that there was something wrong... There are several channels that just don't come in and I get that "Searching for Satellite in 1/2" message

Everything seems fine except that on Sat 101 (A) a lot of transponders have moderate signals, but others have no signal at all.

(it seems that while some even transponders have a signal, all of the transponders that don't have signals are even)
    I just discovered that there are a couple of transponders on 119 that don't have a signal either-- but the ones that do are strong.

-- I've taken the Multiswitch out of line (wasn't necessary anyway) and the problem persists-- I've checked the connections all the way down the line from the dish to Both receivers and everthing checks out in so far as there are no loose connections, and the problem exists on both receivers.

Do I have a bad LNB? Or is the dish poorly aligned? There are no obstructions-- Line of sight is perfectly clear...

Since I can't seem to get the local installers to show up, and every appointment is scheduled a week after the last, I'm ready to take matters into my own hands--
    How hard would it be for me to align this dish?

I'd appreciate what ever advice you might have to offer.

2. pappys

pappys Godfather

Jul 26, 2006
    Hmm. If you do not have either the H20 or the new HR20, you should not have the AT-9. If you do a search in this forum, you will find that the installers have only been installing the 3LNB dish if your best receiver is the HR10.

I had this same issue. I wanted the AT9 when I got my HR10, but they would not. The installer said it was incompatible. I said that I know people who had both the HR10 and the H20 (required AT9) had no issues, but he still said it would not work. I now have the H20 and my HR10 works just fine.

If you still have the 3LNB hooked up on your roof, move the lines from transponders down to the 3LNB and use that for now.

I don't think they should have installed the AT9 at this time for you.

Edit: Some in thid forum stated that IF you lived in an MPEG-4 area, you would be installed an AT9 anyway. I live in stated area, and still was not installed with AT9 at the time.

3. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Some of the transponders on 101 are for spot beams and these will read low (or zero) unless you are in the spot. These are all even so several will not be visible to you. I think the same thing applies to 119. Are there any channels which you could previously receive, but do not get now? If not, maybe nothing is wrong.

4. mjones73

mjones73 Icon

Jun 20, 2006
    The HR10-250 (and all older Directv receivers) will work fine with the AT-9, they probably wouldn't give you one cause they were clearing out old stock even though they should be installing AT-9's for all new installs.

I'd say the dish is not aligned properly or something is defective on it. I'd suggest the OP contact Directv and complain and see if they can get a different install company and of course a credit for the downtime.

5. Skunkmutha

Skunkmutha Cool Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Interesting. I'm getting a HR10-250 this afternoon and they are pushing the AT9, although I don't want it right now and will not accept it since I receive HD locals OTA brilliantly.

Check the cable and connectors.

6. holmzee

holmzee New Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Thanks Everybody for the input.

I didn't request the AT-9, My previous dish was a Single LNB- I requested a 3 LNB but they insisted on the 5 LNB (I can't blame them for wanting to avoind coming back in 6 months to re-install)

thanks for the Info on the Spotbeam transponders, I should have known that, now that you mention it I recall having read that somewhere long before I was having these issues...

Yes, Some of the Channels I'm no longer receiving are channels that I used to get-- Some are Most of the HBOs (I get HBOHD though:D ) others are basic channels like MTV (who cares), Nickelodeon, ESPN news, etc.

All of the Connections seem to be quite tight, I found a few that weren't real tight, but I tightened those and nothing changed-- I guess I just have to wait for these people to get with the program. Time to make my voice heard(again), I guess.

Thanks again for your comments, I guess I'm not crazy after all.

7. mjones73

mjones73 Icon

Jun 20, 2006
    Having the AT-9 installed won't impact your ability to receive OTA broadcasts...

8. holmzee

holmzee New Member

Aug 18, 2006
    I thought I'd update...

I had an installer come out on his own time-- 5 minutes realigning the dish.
    Good to go!

Thanks for your help.

9. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It may if the old setup incorporated the OTA signals into the satellite feed setup.

10. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    It would still work with a HR10-250 (but not with a H20 or HR20).

11. mjones73

mjones73 Icon

Jun 20, 2006
    It's been determined that if you aren't running a receiver that requires access to the new sats, you can still diplex OTA into the line because the older receiver will never request the frequencies that step on the OTA signal...

It may cause a headache if you are using an exisiting multiswitch to diplex the OTA signal in though, you'd either need to keep the switch and cascade it behind a WB68 or use diplexors to feed the signal only into the lines that need it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.