1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New HR24 HD DVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by puck28, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Jan 5, 2011 #1 of 12
    puck28

puck28 New Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Hi

I been a D* customer for 3 yrs now. I have a HR23 HD DVR and a standard DVR. I also just bought a brand new Sony 52" tv, which I can make do 3d with the added products (don't have them yet), so I was looking at getting an HR24 for the new Sony and moving the HR23 to my older HDtv. I would also get rid/send back the standard DVR, replacing the HR24 with it.

How much would I be expected to pay for it. I would like to get it for free, as new customers are getting it, but I would be willing to pay for it. I also was hoping not to have a contract (2 yr agreement) in getting this. Is there any way to do this?

One reason I would not like to have a contract, is that I am waiting for Verizon to add Fios to my area. As you probably know Verizon has no time table as to when this will happen, except to say soon. Of course they said soon last January too. The only other choice I have is Time Warner, but that is something I really don't want to do except the fact they have no contract.

If anybody has a way of getting the HR24 with no contract, even if I have to pay full price it be very helpful.

One thing I was wondering is if I buy it from one of the retailers at Amazon, would I still have a contract when I pay the leasing fee with Directv?

Jeff

2. Jan 5, 2011 #2 of 12
    YtseJammer1977

YtseJammer1977 Mentor

Oct 29, 2010
    The reason for the commitment is to that D* can provide you a 700 hundred dollar piece of equipment for nowhere near that cost. Expect $199 up front, plus $49 installation if you don't have a SWM. If you don't want a contract, expect to pay $600 or more. But at least you'll own the equipment.

3. Jan 5, 2011 #3 of 12
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Between $100 - $100

No, you can't get out of the added commitment.

The only place to get an HR24 without a contract is from D* and it would be pretty pricey. Also, there's no guarantee you'll even get an HR24.

Yes, it will still be a lease, but it's also the only way to be assured of getting an HR24.

4. Jan 5, 2011 #4 of 12
    Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Forget the HR24 and go for the Whole Home DVR with the Cinema (Internet) Connection Kit. DirecTV will upgrade your SD DVR to a HR, and should get all this without a commitment. Just stand your ground when you do the CSR Tango.

And I'm in the same boat with FiOS, It was supposed to be here in September. That's September of '08. So don't hold your breath.

5. Jan 6, 2011 #5 of 12
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I'm not sure that's true.

6. Jan 6, 2011 #6 of 12
    Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    But WHDVR wont work with most old SD DVR. So how can they install WHDVR

7. Jan 6, 2011 #7 of 12
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    You can stay out of commitment by adding an owned receiver to your account. They can be found right here on this forum in the buy/sell/trade section (see sig for link), along with ebay.

Owned equipment would be right up your alley if you are thinking about jumping ship down the road. If you lease a DVR, you have to pay to get it, then you are stuck with a 2 year commitment. If you cancel your service, you have to send that DVR back, and you have lost your lease fee, which most of the time is $199. Then, on top of that, if your two years isn't completed, you get to pay $20 for every month of service you have left in your commitment. If you spend a little extra and get an owned HD DVR, sure, it costs a little more up front, but a year from now when you change services, you can stick that owned HD DVR back up for sale, and recoup most if not all of your money back.

Just make sure to verify the receiver ID with the access card distribution team at D* to make sure it is owned before you send out any money for anything.

8. Jan 6, 2011 #8 of 12
    HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    I'd like to know the answer to this as well. My brother has one HDDVR & one HD Receiver & 3 SD DVR's. He wants to get the Whole Home service but wants it for everything. I didn't think they would upgrade the SD DVR's without charging the normal $199 per DVR.

9. Jan 6, 2011 #9 of 12
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Last I read the SD DVRs were replaced with R16 units unless they were already that model. Unless you are lucky enough to have R22s for your SD DVRs, you would have to pay extra to upgrade to get the SD DVRs turned into HD DVRs, making them whole home friendly.

10. HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    That's what I thought. We're going to upgrade his SD DVR's one at a time over the year & then for Christmas, I'll help him get the Whole Home upgrade.

11. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Just as a side note since I have mentioned owned equipment:

When you do the whole home upgrade, any owned receiver that is replaced to become compatible will become leased. Owned equipment that doesn't get replaced remains owned. For example, an owned D10 would get replaced with a leased D12. An owned R15 would be replaced with a leased R16/R22. An owned SWM compatible receiver would not get replaced, and would remain owned.

Just something to keep in mind if you have owned equipment you want to keep.

12. puck28

puck28 New Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Well as it turns out we ended up cancelling Direct TV proper and signed up for it through Verizon Bundle, as a new customer. So I am getting a brand new HD DVR and HD Receiver both free. I did have to sign up for the 2 yr agreement though, but who cares. All in all we are getting phone, internet and Direct TV Choice (either extra or ultimate I am not sure) for $81 plus taxes and such.

I was paying that price just for directv alone. SO this is a great deal. As for FIOS I will just have to wait, who knows when it is going to be put in anyway. I may be moving in the 2 years time anyway and not in a Verizon area, so Fios may not be a possibility anyway.

So I am very happy.....Except I will have to wait for faster Internet. Oh well....

Jeff