1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new HR24 not recognizing external hard drive from old HR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Bill Broderick, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    On Friday, I had a Genie installed and my other DVR's (HR20 & HR21) were upgraded to HR24's. Today, I tried connecting the 1TB hard drive, that I've been using with an old HR21 for years, to one of the HR24's (in in an Antec MX-1 enclosure) and rebooted the HR24. It wouldn't recognize the hard drive. After rebooting a few times, I plugged the hard drive into my pc, using the same esata cable and it was recognized. I removed the 3 partitions in the hard drive and replaced it with one new partition and tried again, once again with no success.

Thinking that I might have a bad esata port on that HR24, I tried connecting it to the other HR24, also with no success.

Any suggestions?

1 person likes this.
  2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    You did fire up the external for a minute or two before firing up the completely unplugged receiver?

3. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I did have the hard drive on for a little while. But I hadn't pulled the plug on the receiver. I was doing menu restarts. I just tried connecting it to an unplugged receiver and then plugging in the receiver. I had the same bad results.

4. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Sorry, Bill. Other than testing cables, or another external, I'm outta ideas.

5. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Bill, How are you surmising that the external hard drive is not recognized? is there something recorded on the local HDD?

6. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    A couple of different ways. First, with my HR21, if I went into the "More System Info" screen, in the Internal Temp line it would show something like "N/A - external hard drive attached". I'm not seeing that with the 24.

Then, in case something has changed between the 21 & 24, I tried recording something when the hard drive was not attached and then tried attaching and rebooting the hard drive. The recorded program was still viewable. I then recoded something with the hard drive (physically) attached and then disconnected it. I was able to play the new program with the hard drive disconnected.

So, it appears that everything is recording on the local HDD regardless of whether the external, HDD is physically connected or not. I tried this same test with both HR24's.

It's only an extra 500GB. So it's not really a big deal. But, I figure that, if I'm going to get it connected, I may as well do so before I start recording a lot of programming on it (which is what will start happening tonight).

7. LiQiCE

LiQiCE Mentor

Feb 13, 2006
    Northern...
    Have you tried deleting all the partitions on the hard drive using your PC and then hooking it up? I saw you said you hooked it up to your PC, deleted the three partitions but then created 1 big one - instead I'd recommend deleting the partitions so there are none.

A brand new drive would have no partitions on it.

If the drive is recognized, the HR24 should format the drive regardless of whatever partitions are on there - but it might be worth a shot.

8. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I didn't because, when I searched previous threads for similar problems, I saw that someone else had something similar with a new drive that he initially couldn't connect to a Genie, but had successfully connected to an HR24, which had set it up as a 2TB drive, instead of a 3TB drive. The suggestion was to get rid of the partitions and create one big one. That seemed to work for that person. So, that's what I tried.

That DVR is about to start recording 4 shows in the next 2 hours. So, I'm not going to play with it anymore tonight. But I'll try this as soon as I have a chance.

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    This might sound simplistic, but I've gotta ask:

Did you: Unplug both power cords from the HR and the MX1? Did you then plug in the eSATA to eSATA jumper cord to the HR and the MX1? Did you then power up the MX1 for about a minute, then plug in the HR24? If you missed any steps, that might be what the problem you're seeing is.

Rich

10. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    I recently received a HR44 Genie and recorded a single show on it. I then shut it down, connected the ESATA cable from my Antec MX1 and plugged it and the MX1 with a 2TB WD drive into a common power strip. When I turned the power strip on, the HR44 came up with no recordings in the list. The MX1 comes up much faster than the HR44 so I doubt starting the MX1 first will have any effect. I know the MX1 is being used because the blue light is constantly flashing. The 2TB disk was new and had never been used for anything. Just wanted to let you know that the MX1 works with the Genie, at least the HR44 Genie.

11. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I know that initially, while setting the new DVR up, I connected the esata cable to the DVR while they were both unplugged. However, I forgot to power up the MX-1. When I realized what I had done, I powered up the MX-1 for a few minutes and did a menu level "restart receiver", which didn't work. Subsequently, I tried all combinations of connection and power sequences, all with no success. I'm 99% sure that I tried the exact sequence that you asked about. But, to remove that 1% of doubt, I'll try it again tonight (if I get home before anything starts recording on it).

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    If that doesn't work, I'd be looking at the external device. They only take so much and then their chip sets go. That protocol I posted above should work everytime, if all devices are working properly.

Rich

13. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I initially thought that might be the case. That drive hasn't been turned off since hurricane Sandy last Oct-Nov. So, I thought that being turned off and cooling down might have killed it. But then the drive connected to my PC immediately via esata. So, I figured that wasn't the case.

Realistically, I don't need to connect the external drive. With my recent upgrade, I went from 1.64TB (one 1TB external and two 320GB internal HD's) to 2TB (1TB in the Genie and 500GB in each of the HR24's). But, there's no reason to "waste" an additional 500GB if I already have it available.

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    It's rarely the drive. The weakest link in the chain is the external device. You're right, the more capacity you have the better.

Rich

15. otaliema

otaliema AllStar

Aug 9, 2012
    Mid-west USA
    There is a possibility that one of the connectors is not connecting with the cable on the HR24 have you tried replacing the eSata cable yet?
    I know it proly wont work but it's worth a shot at this point you've done pretty much everything else in the book that I can recall to get the external to work on the unit.
    Also is this a true external drive or a internal drive in a case? if it's the latter you might try removing the drive and cleaning it.

16. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    So, you can never be too thin, too rich, nor have too many Terrabytes?? :)

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I don't find anorexic women attractive and when I got out of highschool I was 6'4" and weighed 115 pounds which was just not right, so I think that deals with your first assumption. From my financial point of view, your second assumption is correct as long as you can hold onto your money.

I have 24 TBs of capacity, which is absolute overkill, but my owned HRs (10), all with 2TB drives installed internally, seem to work better when half full. I'd think that would be true of any sized HDD in most devices. That is the main reason I went with 2TB drives rather than 1TB drives.

Your spellchecker failed you again, terabytes is the correct spelling according to my spellchecker.

Aside from all that, how you doin'? :grin:

Rich

18. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    All's good. I was just making a wee joke based on an old saw. And my spil chukker caught terrabytes, but I was too lazy to change it...

19. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Late last night, I tried the full shut down, unplug, connect everything, power up the hard drive for 2 minutes, plug in the DVR process, with no success.

I'm going to try to connect the drive to my pc again to ensure that it is still recognized there. If it's recognized on the PC, I'd think that would indicate that the drive, MX-1 enclosure and esata cables are all still working properly. If that's the case, I may just give up.

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Gotta admit I was surprised by the proper spelling. I'm getting more and more dependant on spell and grammar checkers. I've always used TB, don't believe I ever spelled it out fully.

Rich