1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New HR34 freezes at 1% "found software"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by BJB, Apr 14, 2012.

1. BJB

BJB Mentor

Oct 8, 2007
    I finally got my HR34 after following a lot of the information on it here. I have not been able to find this particular issue in my searches.

I just got it installed today. Old GUI out of box of course but it immediately "found new software" and froze at 1% for the installer. He really had not installed too many HR34's.....He rebooted again and it setup fine.

Later in the day my Doubleplay stopped working although it said all 5 tuners were active and good to go. So I rebooted.

Got the "found new software" screen again and again it froze at 1%. I rebooted again and it was back live, double play and PIP working working again.

My question is will this eventually resolve itself when it downloads the new HD GUI or is there something else I should do or check?

Thanks,
    BJB

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    push RBR while it will get latest NR FW, then we will continue ...

3. wahooq

wahooq New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    it will only get thwe new software when it is available....usually late at night....when it asks to update, just choose update later....let it do it on its own

4. BJB

BJB Mentor

Oct 8, 2007
    Thanks. An RBR got me out of the "stuck at 1%" situation. That was the "at bootup" blue screen with no options on it. I was just trying to get the HR34 useable, not try to force an update with the RBR.

Anyway, I guess I will just wait as long as doubleplay keeps working now!

Now, this is kind of strange....although both tuners on doubleplay are showing a picture, I am getting the "searching for signal" message. I am all too familiar with it but haven't seen it on any of my other DVR's when both tuners have signal? And I was not recording anything on any other tuner?
    Any ideas on that?

BJB

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Idea: call and swap the box.

6. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    Did you get the whole home system? What kind of SWiM / DECA, LNB or multi-switch?

How many HD DVRs do you have?

Are your dish signals high?

If all else fails,

Best wishes?

7. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    direct is having issues with downloads last few days

8. BJB

BJB Mentor

Oct 8, 2007
    Allenn and Jodean,
    Thanks.

I already had a Whole House system with a SWiM16 switch and CCK which has worked flawlessly with a mix of HR24's, H24 and H25. Just swapped one out for the HR34 which now maxes out the SWiM16. I balanced the tuners between the legs.

Signal strength is fine on all units and no other units gave me a searching signal. All other tuners work and the HR34 says all 5 tuners are up and running.

All that being said, I also have an OTA AM21 hooked up to it and I reset it up.
    Perhaps that was causing the searching message because I have not seen it since.

Edit-additional info. The lowest transponder is 4 on 101 which is in the low 80's. Rest are 90's and above. When I did get the searching on other sat input, it was also strange as there was no glitch in the double play. Normally if the other tuner was searching I would have expected a blank section.

I'll let it settle down a few days before I fire it back especially if DTV is having update issues. I've been down that road before. I can wait!

As a side note I was surprised to find they killed the optical audio out. I like coaxial better anyway but did have to rewire for that. As everyone has duly noted, that PIP interface is absurd.

Thanks,
    BJB

9. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    What model PI do you have? When I had a SWM16 multi-switch, I was advised that you need a PI 29, because the PI 21 does not have enough power for 16 tuners. Also, signals must be above 95 percent.

Must be a virus in the D* SWM components, because Saturday, D* replaced my PI 29 and SWM16 multi-switch with a SWM LNB, a PI 21, and 2-way splitter. I was having 771, no signal on satellite, messages on my two HR24s.

It seems that some function or port is removed with each new model. I have purchased two AM21s, an RF modulator, a network switch, and a D* wireless CCK to maintain status quo over the past 18 years. It has been a challenge.

I am no expert, but there are plenty in this forum. Hopefully, you will get some feedback from Very Old School or one of the others that comment.

Best wishes.

10. BJB

BJB Mentor

Oct 8, 2007
    LOL, yeah, I've been around DTV since their first or second year of service.

Good luck with your issue also.

It's a PI29 and all other receivers still okay. I'm going to have them align the dish and bring a replacement HR34 in case that doesn't fix it.

Thanks,
    BJB

11. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    I think you got a plan. Best wishes!

12. BJB

BJB Mentor

Oct 8, 2007
    DVR was bad and replaced. Works fine now. Still need to get Dish re-aligned, but not bad enough to cause the problems the first box had. Have not had one "searching for signal" with this one.

Thanks,
    BJB

13. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    I love happy endings! It is weird the HR34 would be bad. Best wishes!

14. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Build enough of any consumer device and a certain number (typically 3% - 5%) will be defective. It's just part of the cost of doing business to have to deal with the return/replace process.

Anyway, glad the OP got his problem straightened out. :)

15. Chazb

Chazb AllStar

Jan 28, 2007
    Just go my hr 34 and the tech was going to install the hr20 700 in a bedroom and he could not get it to work correctly and he said it was bad and he swapped it out for a hr24.
    What a great combo these units are I feel like I won the lottery getting the 24 and 34 and the install worked without a hitch.

16. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Sounds like you most likely got lucky. He was probably trying to set up the HR20-700 like an HR20-100 that needs the special DECA setup.

17. BJB

BJB Mentor

Oct 8, 2007
    The only strange thing I have noticed on the HR34 vs. my HR24 is that I use native format and if I switch (horrors) to an SD channel, the guide itself change format and appears to be SD. Switch back to an HD channel and the guide is again the correct aspect and HD resolution. Very strange. Don't think I have seen that on a 24?
    BJB

18. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    That's the way the new HDGUI works. It changes to match the resolution you are ouputting to the TV. So if you have the receiver set to native the guide will be 480i SD when watching SD channels, 720p when watchign a 720p channel, etc. This is another reason I tend to avoid native mode unless I can see a big difference in scaling abilities between letting the receiver do the scaling or the TV. For most non-videophiles native off is going to be the best solution as you don't have to deal with longer channel changes, the guide changing, etc.

19. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    You did Hit the Lottery because you got the 2 Best DVRs that Directv has to offer and are hard to get.

20. BJB

BJB Mentor

Oct 8, 2007
    Yup, totally makes sense. I've been using the new GUI since it came out on my HR24's set to Native because I definitely think my TV does a better job at broadcast HD 1080i and 720P then just setting my box to one resolution.
    Which as you said, makes SD come out of the box at 480i.

But for whatever reason, I swear the guide overlayed on an SD station still looks much better on my HR24 than the 34. For the little SD being watched not a big deal. But with my HR24, I never even noticed it. With the 34, noticed it right of the box.

BJB