1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New HR34 HDMI Issues

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by chkinela, Jul 10, 2012.

1. chkinela

chkinela New Member

Jul 10, 2012
    I had a new HR34 installed last Friday and started out great hooked up with HDMI. Then I screwed up and forced a software update. Ever since then I cannot keep a solid video signal over HDMI. It also seems that I am missing the latest updates for the HR34. It does not have Pandora or youtube yet and the status bar when pausing is still the full bottom of the screen instead fo the smaller bar on the HR21 I had. Should I just hold tight until it auto downloads software or any suggestions on how to fix the HDMI issue.

2. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Welcome to dbstalk. Regarding the status bar, Pandora etc, those features are not yet available on the HR34. What you have is the way the HR2x series started. I'm sure the HR34 will have them sometime in the not too distant future.

Regarding your HDMI issue. Is it connected to a receiver before connecting to the TV? If so, bypass it. Many HR's have issues reported here with Denon and Onkyo pass through HDMI.

And if that's not it, just reboot the HR34 to see if that clears up your problem.

3. chkinela

chkinela New Member

Jul 10, 2012
    Thank you for the quick reply. I have it connected directly to a Samsung tv and must have reboot 5 times. I finally connected it via component just to get a picture. Hopefully it's a handshake issue, I'll try it again tomorrow.

4. Earlyadopt

Earlyadopt Mentor

Jan 20, 2007
    Hey guys,

This same problem has cropped up on my HR22-700. Yes it is going thru a Yammy receiver. I've had the HR22 for a couple years (ish) and it's connection thru the receiver has been fine up until the latest software release. Then it looses video (audio is carried out via digital).

I find this behavior unacceptable and that DTV needs to step up and put some engineering around the problem.

sorry to be blunt, but going direct to the TV is no an acceptable solution. For me personally, it's not possible as I have several other devices (flawlessly) connecting thru the receiver not to mention the audio challenges, remote control programming etc.

In order to 'fix' my situation, today I arranged for an HR34 to be installed tomorrow (excellent customer service from DTV there). I'm then going to soft-retire the HR22 until it's clear of it's playlist. Then I'll give them back the HR22.

While I appreciate the suggestion of bypassing the receiver, it's not an option and something that needs to be rectified ASAP by DTV.

PS: I think DTV is the single best home entertainment provider at the moment.

5. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Out of curiosity, what firmware version is on your HR22 right now? Most of the HDMI issues on the HR2x DVRs were fixed in the latest firmware as far as I knew. Could be you still have the older version and will get the update soon.