1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New HR44-700 and C41-700 Install - Problems with Network?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Hokie4Life, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Hokie4Life

Hokie4Life New Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Blacksburg, VA
    Hi all. I did a self install a couple of days ago. I swappled out my existing HD-DVR recevier for the Genie (HR44) and HD receiver for the Genie Minie (C41). I had no problems with the original HD-DVR receiver connecting to the internet, accessing apps, VOD, etc plus my DTV account online reported that the receiver was connected to the internet.

The strange thing with the HR44 is that I was able to connect it wireless to my network (even though I'd rather use ethernet since I have an ethernet drop in the vicinity), I initially got a success message that I was connected to the network. I find that I'm able to successfully schedule programs remotely via the D*TV website, Pandora works, and YouTube works but when I try to access apps, I get a message stating that I'm not connected to the internet. Just to check, I immediately, tried to schedule a show to record from the website (again) and lo and behold, it appeared on my ToDo list after a few seconds.

It just seems strange how I'm able to access functions that clearly require internet access, yet I'm unable to access apps and system testing shows that I'm not connected to the internet. Oh, and the Genie client works well too (I'm able to

I have a service call scheduled for Wednesday. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas in the meantime?

Thanks in advance!

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Apps are way too sporadic to be used. Does VOD work? Everything is likely fine, but Apps are a pain.

1 person likes this.
  3. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    When you schedule a program via the DirecTV website (or by using one of the DirecTV apps), DirecTV does NOT pass this information to your DVR via the Internet connection. It does it via satellite. You can schedule recordings remotely even if you don't have Internet access in your home at all.

The DirecTV website doesn't report whether the DVR is currently connected to the Internet or not. I believe that's based on when it last received communication from the DVR. When I got my HR44, it took at least a few days before the website showed it as being connected to the Internet, despite the fact that the HR44 was how the other DVR's in my house are connected to the Internet.

I agree with sigma1914, if you're not getting Apps, it's likely an Apps problem, not an HR44 problem. However, one thing that you can try is to do a menu restart of the HR44 to see if the Apps become available.

1 person likes this.
  4. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    Which model HR44 is this?

5. dvrblogger

dvrblogger Icon

Jan 11, 2005
    have you used network setup to connect to the internet ? Does it report sucess ?

6. Hokie4Life

Hokie4Life New Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Blacksburg, VA
    It's the 700 model. Also, after aa couple of days, it finally connected to the internet and apps work as expected. The only thing is that I'd rather used my Ethernet connection as opposed to my wireless network. I have a service call scheduled to pick up my old equipment later this week. I'm planning on asking about using wired as opposed to wireless.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using DBSTalk mobile app

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Installers do not pick up any receivers that they did not replace. conversely you do not want to give those receivers to a installers as you may not get credit for them