1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New HR44 very slow downloading menu banners

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Kev4Bama, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    I took the plunge and upgraded to Genie this past Saturday. I got lucky and the tech brought out an HR44. On a side note he couldn't believe my knowledge of the system or how nice my whole home setup was (which I did on my own thanks to everyone here) and they didn't know about.

Anyways the new HR44 has been working great except for one thing. The artwork for Programs and the What's On banners doesn't want to seem to load at least not in any hurry. Wanted to see if y'all have had the same experiences.

As soon as installer hooked up the 44 he forced a software download to the newest software. After being up and running about 26 hours I checked it out and there was some non blank banners here and there but very incomplete. I did a red button reset at that time and after a few minutes decides a full power cycle might be best. This of course erased everything as far as artwork again only leaving the rectangles with text in them. I checked again this morning almost another 24 hrs later and it is still missing 90% of artwork on banners. Are these just super slow to initially load everything ? Seems like my HR-23 would always load everything within 24 hrs after a reset or power loss. I checked and HR44 is connected the the Internet. I can load TV apps fine and can even send commands to the 44 through the voice feature on the newest iPhone app. I know this issue doesn't affect performance, just annoying to a perfectionist. ;)

2. Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    Also a bit of info I forgot, the Internet is getting to the HR44 through coax not the built in wireless. I had an existing hardwired cinema connection kit on the entire system already so the installer said it would be best to use that rather than the built in wireless.

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I have a HR34-700. Like your HR44 it too seems to take a little longer to load things like artwork and banners than my previous HD DVRs.

4. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    You should only do a red button reset when the unit is completely non-responsive. The preferred way is to reboot the unit via the menu options.

The double reboot within 30 mins (RBR then "full power cycle") is what zapped your guide data and it needs time to rebuild. A fresh rebuild can take up to 48 hours for everything to appear. Be patient and it will all show up eventually.

1 person likes this.
  5. Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    What is the process to reboot through the menu system? I had also unplugged my HR23 when I took it downstairs as the Genie took its place and it had reloaded all of its data within just a few hours

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    menu--settings and help-settings-reset-restart receiver....does a nice graceful reboot....there are 2 other options on that page, you usually dont want to use the other 2....

7. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    What is the process to reboot through the menu system? I had also unplugged my HR23 when I took it downstairs as the Genie took its place and it had reloaded all of its data within just a few hours

Unless you rebooted your HR23 twice in 30 minutes It didn't actually need to re download everything like the genie did after you flushed all its data before it had finished downloading it all. Just let it be and see if its all there in three or four days.

And a menu reboot is settings, reset, restart. However, I have learned recently that evidently with genies, it doesn't matter anymore, clients or server, so rbr or menu restart work about the same evidently on that platform. I did not hear about it changing with the older hr2xs though.

8. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    The Menu restart is the more cautious route to take when rebooting. There's little or no evidence that a RBR does harm, but in theory it could. I find I don't have to move my derriere off the couch, another benefit.... :grin:

9. Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    Thanks for help everyone. After a few days now it has appeared to update everything. I will try to use the menu to reboot when I need to in the future.