1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New HR44 won't unpause recordings

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by pgsassone, Aug 13, 2013.

1. pgsassone

pgsassone New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    I recently got an upgrade to an HR44. Since it was installed a few weeks ago, it occasionally gets in a funk where any recorded show in my playlist won't play for more than 2 seconds before freezing. Hitting pause and play makes it go another 2 seconds before freezing. Switching to other recorded shows doesn't help. But live TV works fine, and if I reboot the receiver, it can play the same recorded shows just fine. But then a few days later it gets into another funk and I have to reboot.

There are several posts of similar HR34/44 freezing issues on the directv.com forums, and the advice usually given is to run the hard drive tests from the boot diagnostic menu. I did that and all the tests pass except the surface test, which gets 0.02% in, and says "Fail (300F)". On another screen it says that error means "SATA speed limited". I guess it could be a hard drive issue, but I'm dubious since rebooting makes the problem go away, at least for a few days.

Any thoughts?

2. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    That's a bummer but sounds like you will have to have it replaced. A failing hard drive can cause all sorts of odd things to happen.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Get it replaced for sure. It's much easier only a few weeks in than later.

4. pgsassone

pgsassone New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    As a followup I called directv and they agreed that the unit should be replaced without cost. My new HR44 is humming nicely. Thanks for the advice everyone.

5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yup, I agree with the others. Every time there is a hard drive error, the unit must be replaced as hard drive do not "heal" over time but tend to get worse. Gald you are up and running

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk