1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Instal Tommrrow

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Datagg, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Dec 9, 2010 #1 of 27
    Datagg

Datagg Legend

May 17, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    Hello all.... Ive had enough of Dish and tomorrow getting Direct hooked up. Question, will this be the newest unit HR24?

Back in the day they had to run an extra cable line in my house so i could record 2 shows and watch 1 live... is this still necessary to do, or can it be done like Dish did it with one line. My wall only has one cable line, so if they need to run an extra one like in the past, ill have to do some moving of stuff around here tomorrow morning before installer arrives.

Another question is, when Dish has crapped out on me (3 boxes this month alone) and the timers set.. I lose them all.. Does Direct have a way to save those timers if the unit breaks down?

One last thing... The lady mentioned something about wireless... i have a 360 for my media stuff like streaming etc and a PS3. Will this unit also hook up wireless and if so what benefits if any will that provide.

Anyways, thanks for your time guys..I'm glad to be back with Direct and looked forward to meeting you in the forums here along the way.

2. Dec 9, 2010 #2 of 27
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    1: You will get whats on the installers truck. Might be a HR24, might not.
    2: Current installs require ONE cable from dish to splitter, one cable to each box
    3: DVR breaks, you lose your recordings and series links (think thats what a timer is)
    4: Wireless can be used for DirecTv on Demand, but not recommended for Whole Home viewing. If you ordered whole home, the internet and video will go over the coax.

3. Dec 9, 2010 #3 of 27
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You won't know what model you get until they bring it in your house. As late as ten days ago, a new install got HR21-700 boxes.
    It can now be done with a single cable.
    No. To my knowledge, only the high-end DISH HD DVRs have two-way remotes.
    Wireless networking could give you access to Apps, YouTube and downloaded video on demand. No streaming to gaming consoles of any kind at this time.

4. Dec 9, 2010 #4 of 27
    NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    If the installer calls you when they are on the way, ask if its an HR24? If not, politely ask if he/she can get one today and if not, tell him/her you would like to reschedule until they have one available. This is usually successful from postings in the threads.

5. johns70

johns70 Legend

May 2, 2010
    You can't record 2 things and watch one live show with a DVR. If you're recording 2 things, that's it, 2 tuners, 2 choices of what to watch live. You can watch a show you have recorded on the DVR while the DVR is recording 2 different shows at the same time.

6. Datagg

Datagg Legend

May 17, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    Thank you guys for the info.... I did call Direct again and they told me to call them 2 hours before the install schedule tomorrow to ask for the HR24. The guy said it would be no problem as long as i asked for it prior to install.

Ill let ya know how it goes. Thanks again for all your input.

Dan

7. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    Call who? Ask them for the installer's number, if you don't have it already.

8. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Jobs are assigned the day of, and equipment often is too, especially when there are shortages (read: always). Also, calling the number they give you, which will be the local dispatch office, will result in an "FSR" for the tech (a black mark on his record), as will rescheduling the job once it's been assigned to him.

In other words, you will often be totally screwing over the installer, who has zero control over his inventory, to get what you want, which might not happen anyway, when we've said over and over and over and over and over and over again, that if you want specific hardware, you need to order from a local retailer and not directly with DirecTV...

9. Datagg

Datagg Legend

May 17, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    I had discounts and deals with Direct TV to come back.. Like paying for my Dish cancellation fees etc. I got a letter from them stating they wanted me back and offered great deals for my return. Based on that i thought i had no other choice but to order directly from Direct tv themselves.

The installer is supposed to call me shortly. Hope he does and has the HR24 on hand, or im going to have to respectfully reschedule. I wont get locked into a 2 year contract with older tech.

10. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Not wanting older equipment when locking in a 2 year contract is reasonable. Getting it (and there is no certainty of that, either) at the expense of the installer isn't very fair. What you are doing is punishing the installer for the practices of D*. You're punishing the wrong party.

Call D* back and see if you can negotiate a deal where you go out and get a new 24 series box from a 3rd party provider (like solidsignal), and they credit your account. This makes the new box a certainty and doesn't punish the installer.

11. Datagg

Datagg Legend

May 17, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    Just got a call from the installer.... He is bringing out a HR24 unit.

Looking good thus far....

12. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    That's all I was trying to clarify - who "them" was - and that he get the local number for the install company/dispatch from DirecTV. They don't always provide that info in my past experience, they just tell you the installer is coming at a certain time and he will call you when on his way.

That said, I cannot at all understand how calling the installation company contact in advance could/should/would result in a black mark for the tech. I'm sorry, but that is just stupid if that is the case. Imagine the plumber being punished for you calling the morning of your appointment and saying make sure to bring copper fittings, or bring a 3/4 to half inch adapter, or what not. Geez.

Cool!

13. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    The person who indicated that it would be a black mark is an installer (and a very active one, at that). The fact that you think it is stupid and can't understand it, doesn't help the installer at all. (btw, I agree with you, it is both stupid and unfair).

We have to deal with reality here, not our wishes. If I knew that playing cancellation games with the installer would hurt the installer (through no fault of their own), I'd find another alternative like the 3rd party/credit approach. It sounds like things are working out anyway, so more's the better.:)

14. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    I understand. I am not trying to shoot the messenger, or in this case, the victim (the installers). The policy just makes no sense to me. That's all. Perhaps stupid was too inflammatory of a word.

Now, that said, b****ing about it here probably accomplishes nothing much either.

Instead of playing the call-the-installer game, I did what has been suggested and secured a credit in advance and got my 2 shiny new HR24s "retail" from a local authorized installer/dealer. That way, i got what I wanted and when they installer came out to do the whole home upgrade, I had already activated them a few days before, so I knew they were functional.

15. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Good job by you! (and the policy makes no sense to me either):)

16. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Great news!

17. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Can new subs or returning subs with deals deal directly with a local installer? That would be the way to go if DirecTV allows it. Skip the CSRs entirely and know who you’re dealing with and what equipment will be used before you even place the order. Is this even possible?

I tried to deal with a local installer to get MRV. I talked to two different companies the first had no clue at all… The other new all about the technical aspects of MRV and how it worked with DECA and Ethernet. When I talked to the not-so-great installer I left thinking I wouldn’t want them in my neighborhood let along screwing with my stuff. The 2nd guy had me sold in about 10 minutes. Then came the shock…. I told him I wanted MRV and wanted to know when he could install it. He said he couldn’t – that I had to call DirecTV. When I asked how could make sure they called him he said I couldn’t…. How stupid is that?

18. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    It's not that way here. I was given the ID # of the installer I liked and I could specify to D* that I wanted that installer and no one else. They had no problem complying.

19. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    DirecTV's systems are frequently out of synch. Retailers *can* install MRV for new customers (but not existing ones), but there was a time when MRV was available only from DirecTV and retailers couldn't do it. Likely it was more of an equipment availability issue.

As for the rationale behind not calling for the tech... DirecTV assumes that if you call in the day of your install, the *only* reason is because your tech is late and/or hasn't contacted you, and thus, it's the tech's fault, and he gets a black mark (FSR - Field Service Request). It doesn't matter if you are calling to give directions, update a contact phone number, or whatever, the installer gets dinged.

We've been dinged for customers calling before we've even received our route for the day...

20. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Are you kidding? How can DirecTV be so screwed up?

So when I ordered MRV I called like 30 times (ok not quite!) ahead of time because they kept screwing up the order. I called on the day of because I was told to by the last CSR I talked to... So I could verify they would have the right switch to do my install.

The installer did bring the correct switch (he didn't call ahead like the 'notes' said) and he did a great, quick job of MRV. I guess he was dinged by me calling the morning of? What a crock - I gave him the highest rating on the survey call afterward.

Why would anyone want to work for DirecTV? Geez....