1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New Install - have a rain fade question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by greeby, Oct 20, 2013.

1. greeby

greeby New Member

Oct 14, 2007
    PA Dutch...
    Hi All,

Had my install yesterday morning.

We had a small rainstorm come through yesterday afternoon and most of my channels were wiped out for a few minutes.

I know during heavy rain this can and does happen.

I jumped over to the satellite signal strength screen and 101 was still in the high 90's for signal strength, but 99 and 103 were in the 50's.

Is that normal or should 99 and 103 have been higher? Is it possible that the dish wasn't installed properly?

Just curious.

Thanks!

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Rain/Snow fade will occur without precipitation when storm clouds are directly in your dish's line of sight. Wait till the storm passes and check your signal strength again. If they are still weak give DirecTV a call.

1 person likes this.
  3. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    Rain fade affects the HD signals from 99 and 103 much more than the ones from 101. This is because the frequency bands are different, the raindrops cause greater attenuation at the Ka band frequencies than at Ku band. It's quite normal for the SD signals to be OK and the HD signals to be severely affected, in fact many of us can revert to an SD channel when the HD channel is giving 771 searching for satellite messages.

1 person likes this.
  4. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    This is the reason why I keep my SD channels to "Show SDs" in the guide. Then I just make a favorites list of all my regular channels (minus the SDs) and when the rain fade comes, quickly switch to "All Channels" and more often than not, the SD channel is still there, rain fade and all. But yes, the signals on 99 and 103 are a lot fussier in poor weather.

1 person likes this.
  5. greeby

greeby New Member

Oct 14, 2007
    PA Dutch...
    Makes perfect sense.

Thanks all!

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Exactly what you need to do. Your dish may not be properly aligned, but the only way to know is by checking when there are no weather issues. Your 99 and 103 signals should be in the high 80's or 90's (except on the "s" satellites, where you should have one or two high readings, but others can be low or zero).

If any of the non "s" satellites (99a / 103ca/cb) are lower than high 80's, your dish needs adjusting.

7. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    A poor dish alignment will increase rain fade chances. BTW, it's the rain drops that defect the signal.

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Rain fade happens more because of dispersion in the clouds than it does due to the local drops.

9. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    It's actually just moisture period. I've had rain fade when a big tall cloud comes over the house and it never actually start raining at my house.

10. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    It's the water droplets held inside the cloud.

11. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    And a cloud over your house is likely to not be in the path of the sat. beam.....

12. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Since the tech had to pass IV and the install is so recent, we can assume that it is.

13. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Is it possible that since he had the install in the morning and rain in the afternoon, that the weather was already a bit iffy in the morning and the tech got an IV waiver?

14. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    It very well could be. or IV was down (turned off) because of weather. This is the reason why customers should reschedule an install when on adverse weather.

15. greeby

greeby New Member

Oct 14, 2007
    PA Dutch...
    Actually the sky was clear blue when the install happened in the AM.

Rain rolled in in the early evening.

All the satellites are in the high 90's when the sky is clear...

16. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    IV is by market. some markets are very big. so it does not necessarily needs to be raining on or around your house in order for IV to be turn off

17. greeby

greeby New Member

Oct 14, 2007
    PA Dutch...
    So, stupid question....

What is IV?

18. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    It's a test they do to make sure the signals are high before an installer leaves.

19. samrs

samrs MANC DBSTalk Club

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    IV is installation verification. Every DirecTv receiver we install has to pass IV in order to work. Sometimes IV is turned off on rainy days, some installers might take advantage.

There are two ways to test your dish alignment a system test(,settings,info and test) will check your satellite signal using IV standards and give you an error code if there is a problem.

You can also rerun satellite setup and if there is a problem you will get red x's.

20. greeby

greeby New Member

Oct 14, 2007
    PA Dutch...
    Update....

So we've had several torrential rain events and I have had no other rain fade.

Odd that it happened on installation day and never again.

Thanks All