1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New Install of HR44 went well

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by SteelersFan, Jun 19, 2014.

1. SteelersFan

SteelersFan AllStar

Nov 4, 2006
    Just had my old HR21 replaced with a Genie and everything with the install went well. I now have two HR22's, an HR24 and the HR44-700. The installer replaced my SWM 8 with a SWM 16. He also replaced a couple older cables with thicker RG6 and capped off some old cables when once upon a time two were needed for each receiver location.

The Genie is incredibly responsive albeit the remote takes a little getting used to. The swap-out took about an hour, but a lot of that was him checking the other receivers to make sure they still received signals, etc. I was very pleased with how it went and am happy that I can record 11 shows now at one time. LOL. Just thought I'd share a successful upgrade story.

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Awesome. Thanks for the update.

Is nice to hear success stories every now and then.

3. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Is the SWiM-16 probably tagged?

4. SteelersFan

SteelersFan AllStar

Nov 4, 2006
    Tagged?

5. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    He's probably talking about in the system so they know you have a swim16. Don't worry about that, its meaningless at this point. Glad it went well for ya!

6. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Are the lines tagged at the SWiM-16? As each side can only have 8-tuners.

7. SteelersFan

SteelersFan AllStar

Nov 4, 2006
    I don't know about tagged but he basically just plugged each receiver cable into the SWM. One line to each receiver for a total of 4 and then one extra line to my DECA near one of the receivers.

8. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    You mean labeled? I don't know if the installers typically do that, but it is pretty easy for the end user to do themselves if they think it is important. Just disconnect one SWM16 output and see what loses signal :)

9. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    You went from 8-tuners to 11-tuners.

Better to have the cables probably tagged/labeled now, when everything is working, then when you have a problem and you are aggravated.

10. SteelersFan

SteelersFan AllStar

Nov 4, 2006
    I don't think it's that complicated. The SWM is in my attic and basically I can visually see where each cable goes. The two he didn't use he just disconnected at the SWM. He used a coaxial shorter to test which were the active ones. Probably slightly more scientific than unscrewing and seeing if I have a signal :grin:

11. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    First, he didn't "just plug each receiver cable into the SWM". The SWM16 has two outputs. With your setup he probably connected one output directly to your Genie and the second output to a 4 way splitter, which he ran to the three HR2x's and the DECA.

There are a lot of posts here from people who also "don't think it's that complicated" until they do something and then have a problem. For example, if you wanted to swap the locations of your Genie and one of your other DVR's, something would stop working properly because you'd have too many tuners on the side of the SWM16 where the splitter is connected. In order to correct this, you would need to know which coax is going to the new location of the Genie and plug that cable directly into the SWM, while moving the cable that's already in the SWM to the now-vacant port on the splitter.

12. SteelersFan

SteelersFan AllStar

Nov 4, 2006
    Yea, you're right. I forgot about the splitters. I could see where labels would help, but I really don't believe it to be that complicated. The Genie is the only real concern here and if I decided (which I won't in the foreseeable future) to move its location, all I would need to do is take the cable run from the existing DVR where it's to be moved and swap it with the cable run of the Genie in the splitter. I just need to remember that the Genie run is taking up five of the eight tuners in the run.

13. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    That's the key to it not being complicated. I believe that the point of the original suggestion was that labeling the cables is a good reminder 3 or 4 years from now, when a change is made and you can't remember what it was that you needed to remember.

14. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    labeling cables makes too much sense and as such is one of the things no one does. sad....

15. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I've purchased audio/video gear from Crutchfield since the nineties. With every purchase they send their cable labels. Great way to keep things organized.

16. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Great idea, but I may have gotten a bad batch. Six months later, they were all on the floor or bottom of the cabinet.

I do suggest labeling the cables and even a block diagram and a couple of smartphone pictures.

17. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Typical labels can't take much heat. I used a label maker to make my labels and they would come off, so I added some scotch tape and they have stayed in place since.