1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New install question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Stryker412, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Stryker412

Stryker412 Legend

Jan 21, 2009
    I'm helping my sister-in-law with her new D* install. We requested an HR-24 box for her but unfortunately the installer did not have any available. They didn't tell her that until the morning of the install. When he did arrive, it was an HR-20! I am going to call Solid Signal for her to see if we can order her an HR-24 and once that comes DirecTV said we can send the HR-20 back.

Just curious though, has anyone ordered through Solid Signal to get the box they wanted for a first time install? How was the process with DirecTV once the new box came? At first the installer wasn't even allowed to finish the install if we didn't accept the dish. However, after talking with DirecTV she said to finish the install then swap boxes once it arrives.

I just want to make sure she doesn't end up paying for the HR-24 since the HD DVR is free with this first time install.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I don't think DirecTV will let you simply return the HR20 because you bought an HR24 instead. Better check with them first. And try to get it in writing.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    We've been posting here that there are major shortages of HD, SWM, and MRV/DECA equipment due to high demand.

Jobs aren't assigned to anyone until the day of the install.

You get whatever the tech has available. That's how it's been for the last 5 years, since the lease program began.

You can do that, but you'll have to pay Solid Signal about $200 for the lease, and you won't get any refund for the HR20.

4. Stryker412

Stryker412 Legend

Jan 21, 2009
    Well after a 5 hour install the tech could not activate the receiver they gave her. I told him it was probably the receiver, and he assured me that all their refurbs are tested. I got fed up and finally left. They decided later that it was indeed the receiver. They had a tech supervisor come down to finish her install with a brand new HR-24. After that everything went smoothly.

5. john18

john18 Active Member

Nov 21, 2006
    That ended up working out then. I'm glad that your SIL got a HR24.

6. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Trust me. I would much rather use an H24/HR24 than a refurbed H20/HR20 any day. But recently that isn't really an option since I warehouse has not received anything but 20 models.

7. Stryker412

Stryker412 Legend

Jan 21, 2009
    Well my brother in law has his install tomorrow, wonder what he'll get.

8. manofsteele

manofsteele Cool Member

Sep 2, 2006
    I just ordered whole home and another HDDVR and the closest day they could schedule me was August 11th. So yes, they are busy with the new installs in my area. I work for the PO and I see stacks of FEDEX return services for directv receivers.

Wish there was a sooner date but, at least it will be coming.

J

9. ibmman69

ibmman69 Cool Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Not to thread hijack, but:

I'm very upset with DirecTV. On my order I requested an HR24 and H24 for my install. The installer, who is super nice, called and said he didn't have an HR24 and that he could install an HR22, but agreed with me that I'd be stuck with the HR22 unless I paid full price for an HR24 later. I asked if he could come out and install the H24 he had, and bring me an HR24 next week. He said he could not, and that when I went to order and HR24 they would charge me because I would not be a new customer.

I called DTV customer service to try and work this out. They basically told me there's nothing they can do. They can't send me an HR24 directly, and they can't notate on my account for the installer to install the HR22 and bring an HR24 when he gets one in. I really don't think it's an unreasonable request to install the newest equipment available when I'm committed to a two year contract. I spoke to 2 different CSR's and got the same story out of both of them.

I called the installer back, who, again, is super nice, and he said I need to call to reschedule the installation. He said he'd call me at the beginning of next week to let me know if he gets an HR24. I called again to reschedule the installation for next weekend, but now I'm stuck with no TV. I am not happy. This is not what I expected from a company that touts customer service.

I also sent a request for help through the DirecTV website and Planet Feedback.

The installer is the most helpful person I've dealt with so far, and he probably doesn't actually work for DirecTV.

Any suggestions?

10. Winston_Smith

Winston_Smith Cool Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Installers don't actually work for DirecTV, it's all handled by other company's who install for DirecTV.

11. ibmman69

ibmman69 Cool Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Indeed, that was my point. He's the most helpful and doesn't even work for the company. I don't think my request or proposed solutions are unreasonable. This is just bad customer service.

12. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    And there's the problem. DirecTV *does* think it's reasonable, and that is company policy, so no one you speak to is going to be able to promise you anything different (if they follow the business rules).

You aren't buying the receiver; you are buying the TV programming. DirecTV continues to own the receiver; you are just leasing it. They promise to provide a receiver that works, not to provide the latest model. And this has been the policy for the last 5 years (and is exactly the same policy that Dish and the cable companies have, BTW).

13. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    As explained elsewhere, there is a shortage of HR24s right now. The situation was OK a month ago and will most likely be OK again in a few months, if not sooner. You just happened to be unlucky and hit the low point of availability. That has nothing to do with customer service. Product shortages hit every industry, from automobiles to food.

I sold Alpine car stereos for years. Alpine would periodically go through these situations, where a hot model wouldn't be available for a couple of months. Customers would yell at me for not having what they wanted. What was I supposed to do? Did they think I made these things in our back room?

My suggestion is hang in there with your good installer. It sounds like he is taking care of your interests.

14. ibmman69

ibmman69 Cool Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Understood. I guess there is an advantage to walking in to a local reseller who does their own installs, and buy from them. You can ask them upfront what equipment they have, and they have a vested interest in making you happy. People on the phone don't care because they aren't invested.

15. prospect60

prospect60 Legend

Aug 26, 2006
    I disagree that the people on the phone don't care. The people on the phone have absolutely no ability to control the situation -- they aren't the one's making/shipping/installing the equipment or even making the rules that controls what the company can offer. They can label your account or put a note on the order, but it isn't likely going to change much.

Might as well get upset at the Checkout clerk at Walmart because the store ran out of PS3's at Christmas or that the store didn't get the the new release Blu-ray. You can argue with them all you want, but nothing they can do is going to help you.