1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Install report

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by faspina, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 5, 2007 #1 of 14
    faspina

faspina Legend

Sep 14, 2006
    Hi, I am new to DirectTv. Just got my 5ln dish and hr20 installed today. Everything went well. The installers did a good job of telling me what was going on, deciding where to put the dish, cables runs and all that other stuff. I also get a d11 reciever that hooks to my series2 tivo. I got it all setup downstairs record kid stuff for my kids, no problem. The series2 uses a IR cable to change the channel on the d11.

THe Hr20 test is going well well, I recording a bunch of sd and hd stuff today and tonight. Watching Heroes and Studio 60, had a few format problem in the middle of each episode. Both of them migh have been been nbc fault. Other than that nothing to speak of.

I have it set to native mode. I even though there is a delay between channels, it beats having to change the format as I flip through channels. The picture on both the HD and SD look great.

2. Feb 6, 2007 #2 of 14
    mocciat

mocciat Icon

Oct 17, 2006
    Native on is the source of some bugs in the HR20. I would turn it off if I were you. You should not have to change the format every time you change the channel. Leave the HR20 on the 1080i stretch resolution and it should adjust the channels automatically.

3. Feb 6, 2007 #3 of 14
    faspina

faspina Legend

Sep 14, 2006
    I failed to mention I have a 4:3 Samsung TV. Will it format the channel as I go from SD to HD.

4. Feb 6, 2007 #4 of 14
    hdfan01

hdfan01 Legend

Feb 1, 2006
    I'm confussed..... If your TV is 4:3, you don't have a HD TV. Need more info on your equipment. You should probably leave the res on one setting as mentioned, if you have HD. Glad your install went well, enjoy.....

5. Feb 6, 2007 #5 of 14
    faspina

faspina Legend

Sep 14, 2006
    I figured you would say that. It is a SAMSUNG (TX-R2779H) DynatFlat HDTV with HDMI and 2 x Component inputs for HD inputs. (MY HT is hooked up to on of the components) I bought it because it fit in my entertainment center and it made the wife happy not to trash the entertainment center. You would be surprised at how much the WAF (Wife acceptance factor) weighs in to the decision. The TV it has a HDTV tuner built in. I get the x-1 and x-2 channels when I hook my antenna directly to the TV, but the HR20 tuners have problems picking up the same channels with the same exact antenna in the same exact location. I have not really had a whole lot of time to play with it so, I am sure I can figure something out.

All the HD channels come in as a letter box on the 4:3 screen.

6. Feb 6, 2007 #6 of 14
    hdfan01

hdfan01 Legend

Feb 1, 2006
    OK, its a rare TV. Sorry, but If I were you I would set the res at 720P and turn native off. Progressive is usually a bit finer pq, but its preference. I find it hard to see the diff. between 1080i and 720p. Most sets have only 768p max res. So, make life easier and quicker, set it which ever you like best and leave it. Channel changes will be much quicker too.

7. Feb 6, 2007 #7 of 14
    faspina

faspina Legend

Sep 14, 2006

Heh no problem. Thanks for your advise.

I really haven't had time to play with, so this is good, I can try this stuff ou twhen I have some time.

My biggest concern at the moment is why the OTA channels won't come in on the HR20. I just had the dish put in yesterday so I am still figuring out the best case for everything.

8. Feb 6, 2007 #8 of 14
    hdfan01

hdfan01 Legend

Feb 1, 2006
    I'm trying to recall..... Have your gone through the OTA setup in the HR20? And also, do you have dual markets availalbe to you? You may need to set up 2 MDAs during OTA setup. And lastly, you need to check you signal strength on the antenna. HD signals are very directional and good aiming of the antenna is critical. Digital siginals are either go or no-go from strengths of 60 to 100. So if you get a picture at 70, its as good as 100. Below about 60, you probably won't get the signal anyway. In short, try OTA setup again. Good luck

9. Feb 6, 2007 #9 of 14
    faspina

faspina Legend

Sep 14, 2006
    It is small Birmingham, AL market, I see all the XX-X channels in the guide but there is no signal when go to those channels on all but about 2 of them. Looking at the signal strength confirms that it is low. I do get 1 or two channels with out a problem, so I know that it is setup correctly.

What I will probably do is get a big coax cable and run it out side just to do a trail and error. If that works I may mount something on the side of the house in the back or in the attic. I just want to make I can get a signal with a outside of attic antenna before run the coax.

10. hdfan01

hdfan01 Legend

Feb 1, 2006
    You may have stations in different directions from you. Look at this site http://www.antennaweb.org/ It will help you determin what antenna you need and it will tell you what direction from your house the transmitters are. If your local HD tv stations are in UHF, they are very directional. How far from the towers are is also a factor. You may need 2 directional antennas if the towers are in a 15 degree or more angle apart from you. The antenna site will whow you a map from your address to the available towers. Its a great help. It sounds to me like your problem is a OTA reception problem. You probably know this, but UHF antennas are very different from VHF. Also, say one of you locals is...channel 6. The HD version may show as 6-1. But in actuallity, the channel is UHF 56. (example only) The antenna site will show both.

11. faspina

faspina Legend

Sep 14, 2006
    I have been there, all but one station are UHF, I won't be able to get the VHF channel unless the tower moves closer. Most of the UHF stations transmit from about the same place, or within a mile of each other. I am just wondering if any one else is experiencing different reception with respect to the HR20 ability to tune into OTA hd as opposed to other HD tuners. I mean the antenna was not moved, I get it on the TV tuner but not on the HR20 tuner.

Here is the break down. I don't get and never have gotten the ABC (VHF) station, the some other have come in on the indoor antenna connected directly to the TV but not when connected to the HR20. 68.1 I can get on the HR20. There are also some x.2 station that I pick up that are not listed here. As you can see all but the ABC station are within 5° of each other.

* blue - uhf WABM-DT 68.1 MNT BIRMINGHAM AL 312° 9.8 36
    * blue - vhf WJSU-DT 40.1 ABC ANNISTON AL 47° 21.0 9
    * blue - uhf WTTO-DT 21.1 CW HOMEWOOD AL 312° 9.8 28
    * violet - uhf WIAT-DT 42.1 CBS BIRMINGHAM AL 312° 9.8 30
    * violet - uhf WVTM-DT 13.1 NBC BIRMINGHAM AL 316° 9.6 52
    * violet - uhf WBRC-DT 6.1 FOX BIRMINGHAM AL 315° 9.6 50

12. hdfan01

hdfan01 Legend

Feb 1, 2006
    I still think it is reception problem. Try finding a local OTA installer or other D* subs in your area and ask them. If your are getting hd on the tv, and not on the hr20, check your cables and connectors. Elininate any spliters if possible. run direct from the antenna to the hr20. Good luck

13. hdfan01

hdfan01 Legend

Feb 1, 2006
    Well the good news is that most of your uhf stations are nearly in the same direction. A good single uhf antenna, aimed correctly should work. The 2 Birmingham stations that are 50 miles away still should be viewable. Are there any obstructions nearby? Is your cable in good shape. the higher the better. Also, and MOST important is the aiming. If you havent tried re-pointing it with help from a buddy inside, you may want to try again. I have been down this road myself. I know its frustrating. UHF HD signals are just more difficult to get right. I'm 8 miles from one tower and 23 miles from the rest. I get a 100 signal from the ones at 23 miles and only 78 from the one 8 miles away. go figure!

14. DTV installer

DTV installer Cool Member

Jan 18, 2007
    i am a installer the hr20 sucks i have 2 i miss my old hr10

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.