1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Install - TODAY -- Seattle area!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by CougarCruiser, Aug 17, 2010.

1. CougarCruiser

CougarCruiser Cool Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Decided that comcastic is no longer comcastic enough for us -- so directv, here we come.

In the Seattle area... signed up via the costco program (180 in cash card back).

4 room install - 1 DVR, 2 HD, 1 std, Whole house DVR service, and 'wired' DECA.

I requested HR 24's for everything... and got as much detail in as possible for the work order.

We live in a newer home and if anything like my neighbors, the dish will be mounted on the back corner of a roof line. Coincidentally, if the installer jumps in the attic - he has a 20 foot cable run and fish down a wall into my cable closet where I have RG6 distributed throughout the house (and gigabit ethernet ready to plug in).

Will they do that? Or, do you think they'll run a crapload of wires all over the outside of my house to each room? At this point, I don't really care because if I don't like it, I'll complain and then fix it myself.

So... I'm excited - but nervous.

Anyone know the quality of installers in the Maple Valley area of Seattle?

2. TwoPhases

TwoPhases Legend

Jul 20, 2010
    I did a self install because 2 different techs (some in this forum are great but the ones I encountered here around Edmonds were lazy bums) said there's no LOS from any spot around my home. Instead of complaining, I sent them to do fake LOS surveys around town.

Welcome to Directv. Good luck. I hope you get a competent tech to do your install.

3. CougarCruiser

Aug 13, 2010
    LOS shouldn't be an issue for me.

Competent tech on the other hand... we will see.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This reference to 'wired' DECA spooks me a bit. DECA doesn't offer any choices other than whether or not you have a broadband Internet connection.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I see nothing to be scared about, oh basset hound. I presume he simply means DECA wired directly to the router not hooked to a wireless adapter.

6. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Is there already a cable run on the exterior of the house, probably near the utility/ground that runs to your juncture inside the home?

This is the best option. 1 line from the dish to the ground, bonded to utility, inside to the closet. From there a SWM PI and a SWM splitter and deca unit in the closet.

Should be very easy. Good luck on the 24's

7. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    They usually charge extra for in wall fishes. As for using your structured wiring, they probably will use it, unless it simple can't be done with the type of cable ran in the walls.

8. CougarCruiser

Aug 13, 2010
    Well, I spoke too soon.

I had a 12-4 install window. Never heard a peep until 2:30pm... when I get the dreaded call:

"Yeah, this is Directv dispatch, we won't be able to do your install today. There is a nationwide hardware shortage and we have no boxes for you".

You serious???? No hardware? they obviously don't want a customer that bad. I'm a little pissed right now. I took the day off to be here for the install. No word from them -- NOTHING. Then the phone call when it's far too late.

Called customer service and the best they'd do is a $50 statement credit.

The sales guy assured me all the boxes had RF remotes now -- it appears that's a false statement. Question for folks -- what do I need to get RF remotes for a couple of the boxes? Are they all the same?

As to the note about grabbing the inbound RG6 on the outside of the house --- no can do since I am keeping cable internet for now.

If they want to run that much coax to each room - they can go for it. It'll just leave me a crapload of coax to have on hand when I rewire all their crap and complain. The simplest install route is 20 feet in the attic and down 3 feet of a wall to a cable panel.

do they need special RG6 to run to the boxes? Seems pretty standard -- shielded, in-wall rated RG6...

sigh.

I threw a hail mary to comcast and they put me on enough promotions for another 6 months that I am rethinking directv after their mishaps today.

9. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Yep. They aren't lying. There is a national shortage of HD/HD-DVR's. Even more shortage on 24 models.

We got this email yesterday at our office.

10. CougarCruiser

Aug 13, 2010
    If I don't get H24 equipment, what would I get - and is it that much worse?

I get the H24 equipment is faster... but what else?

11. GTS

GTS Member

Mar 4, 2007
    If you want to do a self install I can get you whatever type of receivers you want with a 1 to 3 day delivery. I am an authorized Directv dealer. PM me if interested.

12. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    The H24 is much smaller than the older equivalents; the HR24 is slightly smaller. They both have a matte finish and rounded corners. They also both have built-in DECA for use with whole-home DVR and network features. First-look reviews and discussions are at http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=173316 and http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=172657.

Performance-wise, the HR24 has a few nagging issues which still need to be resolved--occasional video freezes as well as various Media Share issues and some problems with OTA using the AM21 tuner. It uses a different type of system chip and these probably need some further software tweaking. My H24 has been flawless, however.

13. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If you read the whole first post, there was mention of GigE. I'm not scared, just a little concerned that there may be some confusion.

14. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    With regard to remotes, all of the DVRs and receivers are capable of using an RF remote, but only HD equipment is provided with RF remotes. If you get an HD DVR, an HD receiver, and an SD receiver, the SD receiver will not have an RF remote, but will work with the RF remotes provided with the other equipment.

However, if you are interested in whole home DVR usage, you don't want an SD receiver, you want all HD. The SD receiver will not be able to view recordings from the DVR.

Not sure about Maple Valley. The folks that work out of Lynnwood (and serve all of North King and South Snohomish counties) are pretty good overall.

As far as a wall fish goes, that's custom work (even if it is the easiest solution). Given that your installation is delayed due to lack of equipment, run the line yourself (from the attic to where your common connection point is) and leave about 20 feet (or more as applicable) of extra coax in the attic. Use solid copper core RG6 coax. Let the installer put the connectors on. Then the installer can just pull that to wherever he puts the dish.

15. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Unless something has changed, HD non-DVRs do not come with RF remotes but they are RF-capable. The R15 I had (SD DVR) would do RF but it required the remote plus an antenna. The cheapest way to get that would be with the NFL logo remotes (some teams are sold out). I didn't think D11/D12 SD non-DVRs did RF at all.

There are new remotes for the H24 and HR24 (RC65X and RC65RX). These support the two-way programming feature but will work with older receivers in the same way as older remotes (and older remotes can be used with the Hx24s).

My 2006 installation was from an office in Tacoma. He cut a few corners, but did a good job overall.

16. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks bobnielsen, I believe you are correct.
    HD DVR includes RF remote
    HD receiver capable of using RF remote but not included.
    SD DVR capable of using RF remote but not included.
    SD receiver no RF remote capability.

Also, be aware that DirecTV equipment is only capable of doing RF *or* IR (not both at the same time). The R15 and possibly R16 SD DVR can be tricked into doing both, but none of the HD equipment can.

17. mugz

mugz Cool Member

Aug 16, 2010
    Hey Cougar, check out my post RE: Horror story in AZ.

18. CougarCruiser

Aug 13, 2010
    Email confirmation received... automation phone call confirmation received....

Would I have any luck if I call to try and get the installer's info tomorrow (friday). Can they confirm my install for saturday on friday - or am I stuck waiting until saturday?

19. mugz

mugz Cool Member

Aug 16, 2010
    I have found DIRECTV will not give out installers name or phone number. I got the number from the company who called 8/19 to cancel the order. Missing half day of work.

20. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    If it is any consolation, the installers lose half a days work as well by not putting in your install.