1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by TimG517, Aug 4, 2010.

1. TimG517

TimG517 AllStar

Jan 2, 2007
    A buddy of mine is thinking of getting DirecTV. He said he needs 5 rooms installed.
    Would he have to pay extra (on top of the 4 rooms free) for that 5th room?

And I'm sorry, I have been away from DirecTV for a year or so (but coming back on Friday!) - he would need a receiver in each room, correct?

MRV is only for watching DVR's in other rooms, not live TV - right?

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    MRV allows viewing on any compatible HR or H unit in any room...you can watch live tv, too, on them.

3. TimG517

TimG517 AllStar

Jan 2, 2007
    But, MRV requires a receiver in each room?

4. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Yes, it does.

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Yes, you need an HD DVR to act as a server and then receivers to act as clients for each TV you want to share with. These receivers will show live TV and recorded from the DVR. Each DVR can only share one recording at a time, so if you plan to have more viewing locations watching recordings, you'll need to add more DVRs.
    DVRs will play recordings locally and share one to a remote receiver.

6. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    It sounds to me like money is the issue for the 5th room. If your friend wants to save a few bucks, he can share one receiver among many tv's so long as he doesn't mind watching the same thing on all of them. He'll have to set that up himself though. The tech won't do it. Alternately he could save money by getting receivers in some rooms instead of DVRs. In any case, it doesn't work like dish, where you can watch 2 different live programs in 2 rooms using only one box.

7. TimG517

TimG517 AllStar

Jan 2, 2007
    Thanks guys.

I do remember controlling 2 tv's with one receiver. I ran a/v (red white and yellow - cant' think of the name of those cables) from my R15-300 to my "den"
    In the newer receivers, what options would he have for the 2nd TV off of that one TV? HDMI? Component Video?

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The newer receivers still have component, composite, S-Video and HDMI.

9. TimG517

TimG517 AllStar

Jan 2, 2007
    Thanks Stewart! I love being back as a part of the DirecTV team!

I installed Dish Network for 7 months, subscribed to it for about a year, and am anxiously awaiting Friday when DirecTV is back, and Dish is gone for good!