1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Installation - what am I getting?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by MTGriz, Apr 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTGriz

MTGriz Cool Member

Apr 29, 2006
    This is a great place to find answers, and I just spent a few hours getting educated, but found yet more questions to be answered :)

I am looking to order new service from either D* or E*. Would like to find out what I am getting if I order the following from E*:

- America's Top 120 + local channels (Denver)
    - hookup to 2 TVs (2 rooms)
    - 2 x SD DVR (really need just one but no such option with 2 TV's?)

My setup at the house:
    - Two rooms wired with one line each, SD TV's for at least the next couple of years.

I'd like to avoid adding any lines, but I'd certainly prefer to have dual-tuner capability on the DVR. From what I understand this is possible with new E* hardware via signal sequencing. I am also not ordering any international channels initially, but would like to have that option later without a need for upgrading hardware if possible.

Questions:
    1) Will the standard hardware include the capability to send the signal over just one wire per DVR/receiver (stacked)? Or do I have to expect any extra charges for this (hardware and labor)? Any estimate?
    2) What are the model numbers of the receiver, DVR, and dish included in the standard package? Can't find this basic info anywhere on the E* site.
    3) Will I be able to add international programming later without a hardware upgrade? Will this possibly require a new dish, and if so, would you recommend that be installed now with the initial install? What's the estimated expense?
    4) Concerning the lease, if I want to cancel service after say, 3 years, will I be expected to take down the dish and send all equipment received back to E*? What if it is no longer in working order, will they hold me liable for any repairs? Just trying to figure out what I am getting myself into

I am still not set on either provider, but the answer to these questions will make my decision easier. One thing in favor of D* right now is the Setanta channel not available on E*. I am looking to have service by the start of the World Cup, and the German commentary would sure be nice. On the other hand, E* is cheaper with the current $100 discount program. I'll also post this at the D* section to get feedback from that side.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Dish Pro Plus is a stacked system so it can use your existing single line. A 625 dual tuner DVR can be used with DPP and a separator and will feed both of your TVs. The way DISH is moving channels around the answer on internationals today maybe inaccurate tomorrow so I pass. Ask DISH your question on liability and returns then take it with a large grain of salt.:lol: :lol: :lol:

3. markyd21

markyd21 Legend

Mar 28, 2006
    1. If there is a single RG6 cable ran to each room, then you have no problems. Yes the bandstacking equipment runs both tuners on a dual tuner receiver with one line and a Dish Pro Plus Seperator.
    2.The DVR is 625, no individual DVR model, it is built in to the 625.
    3.International stuff just depends on what you want. For instance all the Latino stuff is on the 1 Dish (DISH500), if it's Arabic, well time for a new dish/switch. I would really do this at the time of setup. Usually the initial setup is where you will avoid all the extra equipment/labor charges.
    4. On the agreements they do state that the LNBFs, Switches, receivers, and remotes remain DISH's property. I would assume they want them back, and consider yourself lucky to not have to take the LNB's down if they do not.

4. MTGriz

MTGriz Cool Member

Apr 29, 2006
    All right, first off, thanks for the answers!

So if I understand all this correctly, you get just the one 625 DVR with a 2-TV, 2-room SD setup. Would the required wiring then look like this assuming one RG6 cable to each room? Is there any signal degradation for TV2 in this configuration? And, last but not least, how much will it cost me? I assume the standard new install does not cover all these components, or does it?

Code:
                             | |
                       ______|_|_____
                       | DPP44 switch |
                       ---------------
                              |
                              |
                         _____|_____
            _____________| diplexer |
     ______|_________    |rated 5MHz|
    | power inserter |   -----------
     ----------------             |
               |                  |
               |               ___|____
         ______|_________       TV2 in
        |   diplexer     |
        |   rated 5MHz   |
        -----------------
    ______|________      |
    | DPP Seperator|     |                  
    ---------------      |           ___________
      |       |          |           |         |
    __|___ ___|___    ___|____  _____|___    __|____
    Tuner1  Tuner2     TV2 out   TV1 out      TV1 in
    [COLOR="Red"]\___________________________________/
                 DVR625[/COLOR]

5. BoisePaul

BoisePaul Godfather

Apr 26, 2005
    Actually, if you drop the DPP44 and the power inserter, you've got it. With the DPP Twin on a D500 or D1000, you'll not need another switch unless you add another dish for another orbital location, or need to add more than 1 additional receiver at a later time. You'll see some signal degradation using diplexers, but probably not enough to concern you. I would think that this is a fairly typical fulfillment install, so I doubt that this would cost you extra.

6. markyd21

markyd21 Legend

Mar 28, 2006

Yes, unless you are looking for more than 3 satellites, then you can drop the DPP44. See this diagram.

Attached Files:

7. MTGriz

MTGriz Cool Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Thank you for the confirmation and for the wonderful diagram! I knew something like that had to exist out there already :)

So then based on your statements if I order just the Top 180 package (+ Denver locals) I can use this setup (single wire, Dish 500 - points at two satellite locations). Now, if I want Deutsche Welle (DW-TV), this will require SuperDISH, which points at 3 satellite locations in which case I can still operate using just one wire per room. Correct?

I am actually amazed that nothing comparable exists for D*. You are forced to use at least two wires for each dual-tuner receiver/DVR, at least as far as I understand. That could well be the show stopper for me (and I imagine for countless other people who cannot or are not willing to add interior wiring). The better programming does not make up for it I am afraid.

8. ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn Icon

Jul 6, 2005
    DW-TV is on 121 so you will need a 121 Super Dish and a DPP44 Switch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.