1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Installation

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by wolverine318, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolverine318

wolverine318 AllStar

Oct 17, 2007
    Hi, I am new to the forum. I have just been lurking around getting tips on an upcoming D* installation. I want to make sure I have my bases covered for the install. Ok, when I originally moved into my apartment I arranged for d* to come the morning and install a dish. However, I got a NLOS. :mad: Which, is pretty much expected since my apartment balcony is facing the north and my community will not let me still install a dish on the front of the building. So I have been living with comcrap for the past couple months. I desperately want to get rid of comcrap due to the all of the BS they give me and refusal to air university of michigan football games, in Ann Arbor, MI of all places :mad:.

Back on topic. This time around I have permission from both the apartment office and my neighbors on the first floor to install it a few feet away from their patio which has an open view of the southern sky. I was originally going to do the old 5 gal bucket of cement and a 2 in OD galvanized pole mount and secure it next to a privacy fence. However, I have read on here that the cement bucket trick may not be suitable for the new slimline dish's. Would it be better if I just got one of the nonpenetrating roof mounts and just used it on the ground secured by 6 cinder blocks? I would prefer a nonpermanent mount, aka digging a 3 foot hole in the ground because I will only live at my apartment for at most 3 more years till I graduate grad school.

I am also forbidden to drill any holes in the outside of my apartment. So I am planning to just use a short bit of flat coax to run the RG6 through a window that i never open. So would this be acceptable?

2. hiker

hiker Icon

Mar 1, 2006
    Take a look at the tripod mounts at solidsignal.com.
    And for the flat cable, here is recent info.

3. protrex

protrex Cool Member

Oct 11, 2007

Since you are putting this in view of others balcony's, etc. I would get a
    half barrel planter from Home Depot/Lowes, a couple of bags of quickcrete, and a 2" OD Pole (~4' Long). Set the pole in the concrete in the barrel. Leave some space at the top of the barrel where you can fill it with dirt and plant something. This will make the dish a little more aesthetically pleasing than a tripod or 5 gallon bucket.

Also, the half barrel should be pretty stable if you are using enough concrete. Be sure to make everything level!

Good Luck,
    Jamie

4. wolverine318

wolverine318 AllStar

Oct 17, 2007
    Thanks everyone. I think I will try the half barrel planter first with concrete and apparently a nice level of dirt, since that is the cheaper route. If it comes to it, I will get a tripod, stake it down, and secure it with cinder blocks. Maybe I could plant a couple tulip bulbs in it. I think that would look great with the brand new slimline 5LNB.

After I mount the pole in the concrete and secure it, I will do a few RG6 cable runs from my apartment with compression style connectors. I am ordering 2 receivers (1 HR-20, R-15). So, all the installer has to do is mount and align the dish and connect my receivers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.