1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New law says you can only have one dish?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by jergenf, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jergenf

jergenf Godfather

Mar 31, 2005
    B]Is there a new law comming that will force satellite companies to produce a single dish solution?[/B]

An installer claimed that this change was imminent and that installing the 61.5 wing dish was an unwise or unnecessary choice. "You're going to have your dish changed anyway real soon", he stated.
    I of course insisted that install commence because their was never any discussion that dishnetwork will eliminate 61.5 and 148 slots. The same situation would apply to direct TV.

For a one dish solution to happen and still keep all the the orbital slots the dish antenna would either have to be a very large elliptical dish supporting a rack of LNB's. Or a smaller dish with motor drive system to scan all the satellites. If it's the latter then you will have to wait a long time between channel changing because the antenna would need to reposition itself whenever another satellite is selected.

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    That post is just so much garbage reported by someone who doesn't have a clue. You can have as many dishes as you want.

3. lifterguy

lifterguy Legend

Dec 22, 2003
    Nick, I would say Jergenf does have a clue. He knew enough to insist on the second dish install despite his installer's misinformation. The installer either doesn't understand the law concerning a "single dish solution," or he is simply trying to snow his customers to get out of doing extra work. The single dish law simply requires satellite TV providers that offer local channels to eventually offer all locals in a particular market without requiring a second dish for some of the channels. Nothing says the satellite TV provider cannot continue to require a second dish for certain national channels - whether they are foreign language networks, HD, or something else. The law requiring a single dish for locals is intended to protect the smaller local stations that are often placed on the wing satellites - meaning satellite customers who opt not to have a second dish installed do not have access to those stations, making it tougher for them to compete.

4. Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Since this doesn't have anything to do specifically with the 921, moving to Dish general.

5. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    Oh. It was not. Stop being such a freakin grouch fer cryin out loud. Talk about a garbage post.:nono2:

The guy was simply reporting the misinformation his idiot installer gave him, as he didn't quite believe him, and rightfully so.

6. Dang The Hung

Dang The Hung Godfather

May 8, 2005
    Guess that happens with old age.

<------ Look at me for cryin out loud

7. larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    Regardless, as a clarification, the new law says that all locals channels from the same DMA must be able to be picked up with 1 antenna. Technically, E* could split the locals across say the 110/119/121, but that would be pretty stupid, but not beyond E*. However, keep in mind that your ANALOG NTSC locals can be on a DIFFERENT antenna from your Digital/HD ATSC locals. So they could techically have your analog locals on the 148, the main on the D500 at 110/119, and your digital locals on the 61.5. Maybe that's why they came out with the DP+44......

8. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    The title of this thread is "New law says you can only have one dish?".

How misleading is that?

The "someone" to whom I referred was the alledged installer. I have heard such BS statements from so-called experts myself, but I seldom bother to report them in a post that begins with an intentionally misleading title.

9. boylehome

boylehome Hall Of Fame/Supporter

Jul 16, 2004
    For crying out loud Nick, there is a question mark with the title! Besides perhaps this post will getting too many things on its plate (dish). :)

10. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    lifterguy said it perfect - jergenf insisted on the 61.5 install inspite of the BS the installer was saying.

11. jergenf

jergenf Godfather

Mar 31, 2005
    The purpose for this thread was to find out if others have heard the same rumor or even know some facts reguarding this (so called) new legal requirement. Personally I believe the installer's information may have been somewhat misleading. Also I don't know if this is just a proposal or already signed into law that's due to take effect sometime in the future. Hate to think that there will be satellite police that count the antennas on every house.

I needed 61.5 because of the Voom channels plus I already prepaid for the install so he had to install the wing dish.

12. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    When satellite dishes are outlawed, only outlaws will have satellite dishes.

13. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    It was a complete misunderstanding by this moro...er...installer of the new law (SHVERA) that states that all channels from any one local market must able to be received by one satellite dish. Dish300, dish500, SuperDish, or whatever may follow. That is all the new law says. There is no requirement that EVERYTHING be received using one satellite dish. It doesn't even say that local channels and regular programming have to be available using just one dish. For example, all the Amarillo, TX locals are at 148 and you need a second dish to get any and all Amarillo locals. That is still okay with this new provision that was signed into law December 2004. Dish has 18 months to comply with the new law. So by mid-summer 2006 you will not need two dishes to pick up JUST LOCALS (ie. Boston locals are on 110/119 and 61.5 requiring a Dish500 and a second dish at 61.5. The 61.5 locals must be moved to 110/119, 121 or 105 requiring a Superdish or the 119/110 locals moved to 61.5, but all the locals must be available with one Dish) You may need two dishes to pick up locals AND basic programming, but not just locals.

Hope this made sense.

See ya
    Tony

14. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    Satellite dishes don't kill people....

15. Pepper

Pepper Legend

Mar 8, 2004
    And I will be an outlaw.

16. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    No they don't, but if you live in a cummunity like I do, your bound to have a couple snot nosed neighbors who think the grey clashes with the color of their Neon Yellow Escalades and there for is an eyesore in the community. :nono2:

17. socceteer

socceteer Icon

Apr 22, 2005
    I wish we would only need one dish for all needs.

I was driving around and saw this place that sales dishes, and I thought it was ironic, they were displaying their dishes, but soon this is what most houses will look like. Mine is getting there 3 dishes and 2 antennas for OTA :lol:

Attached Files:

18. jergenf

jergenf Godfather

Mar 31, 2005
    Thanks for clearing that up. It does make sense to consolidate locals from the same city onto the same dish. Chicago has that same problem where the main locals are on 119 but several other channels like Spanish and PBS stations are on 61.5. So now Dishnetwork will have to move all of them to either 119 or to 61.5 and provide those subscribers a wing dish if don't already have it.

PS: What does SHVERA stand for?

19. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Satellite Home Viewers Enhancement and Renewal Act of 2004

this is the successor of the SHVIA (Satellite Home Veiwers' Improvement Act of 1999) This is the one that allowed satellites to sell Local channels into local markets or LIL)

This was in turn the successor to the SHVA (Satellite Home Viewer's Act) that allowed distant network signals to be sold without the permission of the program provider.

BTW, Dish would NOT be forced to provide a free dish if they move all the locals to a side slot. Again, in Amarillo you DO NOT get a free dish when you order locals--at least not without a lengthy commitment.

See ya
    Tony

20. the_bear

the_bear Godfather

Oct 18, 2004
    No big surprise, many people choose not to get PBS and the second dish. The law is simply to encourage Americans to watch something educational.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.