1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Macbook Pro makes a pretty good Windows 7 machine

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Chris Blount, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Yesterday I loaded up Windows 7 using bootcamp into my 13" i5 Macbook Pro. I was actually surprised on how well it runs. The Windows index rating is 5.5 but that was because of the video. The other readings were 6 and above.

I'm really liking this thing. It's much faster than my 2009 Macbook Pro.

2. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Did you use 32-bit or 64-bit Windows?

We just got our first Mac (Mini) for my wife and daughter last week and now I am just looking for a reason to get me a MacBook Pro. But I definitely need Windows on a laptop.

3. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    Running Windows 7 64-bit on my new MacBook Air and it rocks! That machine is fast and thin.

4. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    I'm running the 32-bit version.

Hansen is right. It pretty much rocks. You won't be disappointed.

5. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    What's the processor in that? How much RAM? I have a year old Air, 1.86 GHz with two Gigs, and it just feels slower than my 4 year old MBP, with four Gigs.

6. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    My daughter is starting college in August. As a Music Major, she is REQUIRED to purchase the Mac Book Pro from the school (along with all the music software and a midi keyboard). Fortunately, their deal is great. She was worried that she doesn't know Macs, so this news about running W7 may be just the ticket. Maybe I'll Bootcamp and W7 her Mac Book when she gets it.

7. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    It works like Windows should work... so if she knows Windows, she'll be fine. :lol:

This may help as well: http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/

8. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    Should work fine. Just be sure you get a full version disc (not the upgrade) of W7 or it won't work. I got an OEM for $125. The Apple drivers are on the OSX install disc that comes with the Macbook Pro. All you do is run the Bootcamp utility, load W7 then load the Apple drivers and your done.

The setup guide is here: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/boot_camp_install-setup.pdf

9. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    That's a load of crap. I was a music major (well, 15 years ago) and we needed computers but all of the music software's available for both Mac and PC, whether it's Finale or Sibelius.

I hate when they do that.

10. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    Same CPU speed. 2 gigs memory but think might be faster bus speed. Big difference is the SSD. Very fast.

11. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    best use for a mac award :lol:

12. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Like Hackintosh is the best use for a PC :D