1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Modem- Dish Network Server won't work

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by dbsteel, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Jan 3, 2017 #1 of 21
    dbsteel

dbsteel New Member

Jan 3, 2017
    I'm sure this has been posted before 100 times, and I've Googled it and got some info, but I can't seem to fix this. I'm hoping someone can explain it to me in laymen terms. I'm an Engineer, but not an IT guy :) I have a hopper and 4 Joeys.

So I got a new Arris Surfboard Modem/Wireless Router combo to replace the one I had from Comcast. Now, on demand and Netflix do not work as when I try to open, it says it "can't find the server". My wireless connection, per the Hopper, is working fine. It says its connected to the internet. I've read online about opening Ports 80, 443, adding the Hopper to the DMZ, etc - and I've tried it with no luck. I'm not totally sure I'm even doing it right (I do know how to get into the setting for the router, but there is a lot of settings in there that are over my head).

One other thing- when I disable Bridging, everything seems to work fine on the Hopper, but obviously won't work anywhere else. So bridging is messing something up. I need this enabled for the internet stuff to work everywhere, right? I could probably live with it if my Hopper was in my family room, but the guy stuck it up in one of my spare bedrooms.

Anything would be appreciated to try. Thanks!

2. Jan 3, 2017 #2 of 21
    peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Are your running another router along side the new gateway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Jan 3, 2017 #3 of 21
    dbsteel

dbsteel New Member

Jan 3, 2017
    No- the only router running in my entire house is the new Arris combo router/modem. Arris SBG6580.

4. Jan 3, 2017 #4 of 21
    peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    So then why are you setting or using bridge mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Jan 3, 2017 #5 of 21
    Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    I think he's talking about Hopper's "Bridging" mode. When "Bridging" is enable it allows the Hopper to act as a gateway for other DISH devices over MOCA to have Internet access.

Personally, I never buy combo units (modem/router). I prefer separates as they are more versatile and you don't throw both out when the modem or router fails.

To dbsteel; did you contact your cable company and notify them that you changed hardware? Usually they want the new MAC Address or are you spoofing the old MAC. Are you past that point in the hardware swap?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  6. Jan 3, 2017 #6 of 21
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Bridging mode allows one DISH device to serve as the Internet hub for all DISH devices instead of individually connecting each device to the home network.

If you disable bridging mode you need to connect each device to the network separately, or not use Internet apps/content on the non-connected devices.

The modem/router may not be accepting the MAC addresses when passed through the bridge. It should - after all a network switch basically does the same function (passing multiple MAC and IP addresses over one cable to the network).

7. Jan 4, 2017 #7 of 21
    dbsteel

dbsteel New Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Correct- the HOPPER bridging mode. When it is turned OFF, everything seems to work fine on the Hopper, both the On Demand movies and Netflix. But only on the Hopper. On the Joeys, I had the On Demand movies working last night, but Netflix obviously won't work.

When it is turned ON, I seem to have issues everywhere. It kind of works sometimes on the Hopper, but everything seems really slow and I get a lot of errors. Ditto with the Joeys.

So I clearly have some kind of Network issue when the Joeys are trying to get internet info from the Hopper, that is only cleared up when I turn the Bridging OFF. I didn't have this problem with my old Modem- and I was using a separate wireless router. I assume I have some settings wrong or there is some other issue.

8. Jan 4, 2017 #8 of 21
    dbsteel

dbsteel New Member

Jan 3, 2017
    I did not contact my cable company. I thought I could swap them out and make it work like I do everything else. I don't think Dish had to contact them when they hooked it up in the first place did they?

Maybe I should bite the bullet and get a hold of Dish? I'm honestly getting sick of Dish and the issues, and tired of contacting them. I already had a Hopper go. And now I have another Joey that can't be controlled with a remote. I didn't have any issues when I was with DirecTV.

I'm an Engineer, but I'm not a Network guy, so I'm not totally sure what you are talking about with the MAC Address.

I could go pick up a separate Modem and go back to the old wireless router- but how do I know the issue isn't just the way the modem is set up?

9. Jan 4, 2017 #9 of 21
    dbsteel

dbsteel New Member

Jan 3, 2017
    PS- sorry, I see what you are saying with the Cable modem. I haven't contacted Comcast because other than this Dish Hopper issue, everything is working fine internet wise in my house with the new Modem/Router. Would I need to contact them for something? So I figured this was totally a Dish issue. When my Joeys start pulling internet from the Hopper via MOCA, everything gets screwed up. When I Googled it, I'm not the first to have this.

10. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    #1 - you swap out your cable modem - you HAVE to contact your cable company to tell them about the equipment change.

#2 - I'm with whoever else said "I prefer separate cable modem / router" - because it is more versatile and can be made to work much better.

#3 - If you want the Internet apps to work on the Joeys, you need to turn ON bridging on the Hopper.

#4 - depending on your equipment - you may have run out of IP addresses. This goes back to "use separate Modem / router "

Another preference of mine is to use ethernet rather than wifi on equipment that doesn't move. This means Cat 5/5e/6 UTP cable.

Yes - I'm an IT professional. I've forgotton more about this than most people ever learned. Friend of ours is using TWC / Specturm's modem/router against my advice - and she wonders why her printer keeps changing IP address (if the stupid printer could set a static IP on it's own, it would work better - short of this you need a router that can hand out to the same MAC address / same IP address).

11. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    Well wouldnt that be easy enough to do? Just set a static IP for whatever MAC address the Hopper has? Meaning in the modem/router, whenever it gets an 'offer' request from 'h0.pp.er' MAC, to hand it '192.168.1.50' IP., or whatever. Worth a shot.

12. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    Presuming the network setup in the H3 fairs no better than the HwS, the only thing you can do is set a IP Reservation in the router. That's how I have it configured here. Even though I've narrowed the DHCP pool down to two IP addresses, my Hoppers are the only reason why I keep DHCP enabled in the router.

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    dbsteel, does your h3/js sharing coax cabling with the modem ?

14. dbsteel

dbsteel New Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Thanks for the inputs. I will contact the cable company.

I guess I could go get a separate Modem. Can I just use the Modem part of the combo, and go back to my old router? I'm just trying to get rid of the rental fee on the router.

EVERYTHING else in my house works fine. Playstations, XBOXs, Kindles, Ipads, Laptops, BluRay players, Roku- you name it. Its ONLY the Joeys when I try to bridge internet functions from the Hopper (when bridging is on). When bridging is off, the Hopper internet works fine. That's why I thought it was more of a Joey/Internet thing than anything.

It seems like its something with the MOCA, as the Joeys are pulling their internet from the Hopper, right? I've read online where a lot of people with Dish have had this same problem but its not clear if it can be fixed or how. I could probably get Dish out to my house once again to try and set it up.

I'd love to use Ethernet but running all that cable is somewhat difficult in my setup. Its clear on the other side of the house.

I don't think I'm running out of IP addresses and they always seem to be mapping the same- at least it looked that way to me when I looked in the router settings. But unlike you I am NOT an IT guy, so I could be off base :)

The easy thing for me to do is just use the BluRay player (or get another Roku) that is in my family room for internet (and thus Netflix). It works fine. I might just do that and be done with it. Having it with Dish is only a minor convenience.

15. dbsteel

dbsteel New Member

Jan 3, 2017
    I don't think it does? I believe my Dish cabling is all separate and was run separate when I had DirecTV. The Comcast feed runs into the Modem and that's it.

16. dbsteel

dbsteel New Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Thanks. I will look into that. I think it is always the same when I've looked at it.

I think this explains my problem, but honestly, it's kind of going right over my head and it's not clear what the "fix" is.

DISH Network Hopper DHCP Issue • Chris Colotti's Blog

17. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    CHris Collotti may be a VMWare archetect, but he's forgetting about APIPA internet addressing - Which is -

When there is no DHCP server, all the devices on the network will self generate a 169.254.x.x IP address. His network setup is also wonky - only ONE device should be hooked up to the internet when bridging - i.e. one (and ONLY one) Hopper should be connected to the internet router, and everything else Dish through the MOCA network. Or - you connect EVERYTHING to it's own ethernet/ Wifi connection and don't use the MOCA at all. You don't have both MOCA and ethernet /WIFI on any device except the one providing the bridge between the two. YOu can do mixed - - as long as each device has only 1 connection (except the bridge).

18. dbsteel

dbsteel New Member

Jan 3, 2017
    I had only the Hopper connected to the internet through wifi, Bridging enabled on the Hopper, and the Joeys connected to the internet through the MOCA network. It used to work fine until I replaced this modem.

So I disabled the Bridging on the Hopper and changed a few settings in the Modem, and now it seems all of the ON Demand stuff works on the Hopper and Joeys (I'm pretty sure it didn't used to do that)..... I'm surprised because I thought ON Demand movies were an internet function. Netflix will also obviously work on the Hopper.

Nonetheless, the only thing that doesn't seem to be working on the Joeys is Netflix, and I can get that on those TVs via other methods, so I'm going to leave it that way and be done with it. There must be a way to fix the issue, but I am done, unless I talk to Dish sometime to come out and fix it. It's above my paygrade!

Thanks for all your help and knowledge.

19. Troch2002

Troch2002 Member

May 7, 2016
    Did you reset your Network on The Hopper?
    You need to do this if you changed the router.

Its under Network settings in the Hopper menu settings.

20. dbsteel

dbsteel New Member

Jan 3, 2017
    Yes- 50 times.