1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New NewDirecTV policy concerning locals that seems awfully bad!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Jhon69, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    Well it's day 2 that my local NBC channel 24 in Fresno,CA. has been down.Before when a local channel went down DirecTV would give us the national feed until it was fixed.Now after calling DirecTV the CSR replied"Well we only did it twice before".Thanks DirecTV your new policy sucks!.:mad:

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Not sure that it's fair to call this "new policy". You can bet that they're working to fix it.

3. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    I went to the channel yesterday DirecTV had the sign up "go to 383 NBCW for programming".I went there no authorization then DirecTV put up" don't call us your local station is having technical difficulties".So yes I would say new policy.:rolleyes:

4. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
  5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    DirecTV has historically only enabled DNS when the tranmission problem was DirecTV's. If the problem was with the station or otherwise not within DirecTV's control, they don't. I'm sure that's due to some FCC rule, but I couldn't quote it or anything.

6. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

No didn't work guess that sign that DirecTV has up is true.

7. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

Or regular programming doesn't rate as important as the Olympics or Super Bowl.;)

8. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    It depends .. Sometimes DIRECTV opens up the nationals and sometimes not. It seems random to me, but I'm sure there is a rhyme and reason to it.

9. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    DirecTV opens the DNS channels for national programming but must close it again when local or syndicated programming is on. I believe this is either due to agreements with the four networks or concerns about syndication exclusivity.

10. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Those events only happen with the permission of or at the request by the nationals. At most DIRECTV can suggest or negotiate.

Cheers,
    Tom

11. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    Check on the channel at 11:10PM it was back on so this issue is closed until the next one.I just thought it was DirecTV's policy to provide the national feed when the local went out.Which to me would be the best thing to do.;)

12. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    I'm sure DIRECTV would love to but I have no idea as to the regulations and/or the agreements they might have to deal with.

13. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    If you think about that for a second I bet there would always be some town with one down meaning that the national feed would be on for everyone all the time and they can not do that. I was kind of under the same impression but after thinking it through there must be something that they go by or like I said it would be on all the time. In my opinion they have been pretty nice to have them on as much as they have.

14. blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone Godfather

Nov 29, 2007
    If you get a Canadian dish, you get both an east and a west coast feed of nbc, abc, cbs, fox and pbs, all in hd.

15. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    This site does not support international signal theft, which is what it sounds like you're proposing.

16. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    I did not read it that way. There are many folks in the US who pay for Canadian DBS.

But there are other and better forums to discuss the Canadian services.

17. lostman72

lostman72 Legend

Nov 28, 2005
    Well you can't blame Directv. If you have cabletv,U-Verse or Fios you would not even have the option of east or west. If they channel is down you are down. So when Directv lets you have it sometimes that is a nice thing on there part.

18. blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone Godfather

Nov 29, 2007
    If you like, i can show you a copy of my credit card statement showing payment for such services each month.

I am not stealing anything.

19. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    But you are likely breaking the law. US and Canadian laws both prohibit receiving signals across the border, typically arranged by illegally supplying a false address of the receiver.

DBStalk prohibits discussion of falsely receiving satellite signals in that manner.

Regards,
    Tom

20. dgordo

dgordo Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2004
    And I'm glad dbstalk has this policy. I was previously a member of another site that encouraged this type of behavior, even by moderators.