1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New News Channels?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by pablo, Jan 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. pablo

pablo Icon

Oct 11, 2007
    What is the possibility of DirecTV adding some news channels they currently do not carry with D12, even in SD? I'm mainly talking about international English-language channels like BBC World News and Euronews (available on Cablevision and Dish), as well as others like CNN International, Al Jazeera English, Russia Today, and I'm sure others I'm leaving out. We have cable at work, so I like watching those international news channels, they are very different from our CNN and Fox News. Would be great if DirecTV added them. Has there ever been any inkling?

2. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    Lots of wishing. Nothing but boilerplate responses.

So far.

3. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    I want CLTV it is a Chicago area news channel (not on OTA)

4. Araxen

Araxen Icon

Dec 18, 2005
    I would love to have all those channels on Directv. I prefer to have different viewpoints from different parts of the world.

5. bjamin82

bjamin82 Godfather

Sep 4, 2007
    Colorado...
    SkyNews is another one

6. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    Al Jazeera English....do they have that gameshow:
    "Who Wants To Be A Suicide Bomber".

7. pablo

pablo Icon

Oct 11, 2007
    Al Jazeera English is not something like Al Qaeda TV, as it's sometimes though of. It's a very good and fair news channel (and it's in HD, too). You can watch it for free live here: http://www.livestation.com/channels/3-al_jazeera_english Having different viewpoints from different parts of the world, like Araxen said, is very important today, I feel.

8. myselfalso

myselfalso Godfather

Jan 25, 2006
    PCN (Pennsylvania Cable Network) would be cool to have. But I doubt that'll happen.

9. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    Sky News HD is comeing soon.

10. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Riiiight, because it must mean extremist because you've never heard of it. :rolleyes:

11. pablo

pablo Icon

Oct 11, 2007
    Speaking of regional networks, how about NY1?

12. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    NY1, CLTV, PCN, News 12 LI/NY/NJ/Whatever, The Comcra... er, Comcast Network and all other regional/local news channels like that will never be on any DBS provider. Why? They were set up by cable companies to give them exclusive content that satellite doesn't have-kinda like the 101 Network on DirecTV.

13. Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    Yeah but those channels air new content on a daily basis, the 101 airs every show 10,000 times.

Anyways, I'd love to have more free international English language news channels. CNN is way too repetitive and MSNBC and Fox News are too biased.

14. kc1ih

kc1ih Legend

May 22, 2004
    Salem, NH
    I'de like to see Canadian stations CBC Newsworld and CTV News Channel.

15. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise DBSTalk Club

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    How about Northwest Cable News, which is run by Belo, not a cable company? I suggested that they put it on an OTA subchannel (16.2 in Seattle is currently just a SD 4:3 cropped copy of 16:1), but they didn't respond.

16. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    I want Ohio News Network....

Oh and Naked News....

17. bjamin82

bjamin82 Godfather

Sep 4, 2007
    Colorado...
    Really?

18. Jaspear

Jaspear Godfather

May 16, 2004
    Probably because they (Belo) have given exclusive rights to cable operators for NWCN. OTA subchannels would be nice (Belo has stations in Spokane, Portland and Boise.), but I would rather see Belo and DirecTV cut a deal to include NWCN on the spot beams for the various Northwest markets. Belo would end up with at least as many new viewers as OTA (and better demographics) and DTV would get new content for Northwest subs. Seems like a win-win for everybody.....except the cable companies of course.;)

19. oldcrooner

oldcrooner Godfather

Feb 23, 2004
    I've been wanting BBC World News for years. Their coverage of world news is superior to anything we have available domestically. Why Directv and most others have been so reluctant to add them to their channel lineups is a real mystery to me. Another good news source not mentioned is the English service of Deutsche Welle from Germany which is also available. ....And no, Al-Jazeera English is not "terrorist TV" as some are prone to call it. I have seen a lot of their programming and have found it to be generally excellent. We can indeed benefit from having access to many and diverse news sources, not just those who serve to reinforce our already established, narrow outlooks.

20. pablo

pablo Icon

Oct 11, 2007
    And yet another international news source is Japan's NHK World, in English and in HD, I believe. So there's plenty to choose from, should DirecTV want to.