1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Plan For Existing System Move/Improvement

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by mrdbdigital, Aug 12, 2010.

1. mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital AllStar

Oct 3, 2004
    I have posted here previously about wanting to install an SWM dish and also drive legacy DVR's, and received great advice on that subject. Now, my plans have changed:

I am moving components of my present system to another building next door. Due to the death of my mother, we are going to be selling our present house, so I'm going to move the existing system to this other building and make some improvements, and also get the account moved into my name.

It's amazing what walking around with a compass can tell you. The location where I wanted to put the new AU9-SL3 dish is not going to work, due to some serious pine trees. I have found another location out in front of this building that is free and clear for all 3 satellites: 99, 101 and 103. However, this location will require about 150 feet of coax. I'm already getting ready to order the RG-6 with solid copper center conductor.

I have on hand a Sonora power inserter/locker from a previous installation plan, still new in the box. My question is this: would it be prudent to drive the 150 feet of RG-6 w/solid copper center conductor to the LNB with this power locker to save strain on the SWM-8 that I am going to be using? I am using the SWM-8 so that I can derive both SWM for my new HR20-700 (still in its' box) as well as a couple of SD series 1 DVR's that I want to keep running. I will be using a 2X4 switch on the legacy outputs of the SWM-8 to drive the SD DVR's, and then migrate to SWM on everything as I phase these DVR's out in favor of HD models.

My thinking here is that the power inserter/locker will do a better job driving the LNB and well take the "strain" off the SWM-8 and serve as a "buffer".

My initial total system will consist of a AU9-SL3 dish, driven by the Sonora power inserter/locker into the SWM-8., then into the new HR20-700 via SWM, and into the legacy Philips DSR6000 and an R10 with a 2X4 switch driven off the legacy ports of the SWM-8. I'm a retired television engineer, so I have all the equipment necessary to do this installation myself, which I would prefer to do anyway.

Sorry to be so long winded.

How does this sound?

Dave

2. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    Sounds good to me.
    Enjoy the project.
    It should work fine.

Voltage drop is more of a problem over distance than signal strength so the polarity locker works great.
    Just for info you probably still have 100' or so before distance is a real problem without amps.
    Recall the SWM-8 has AGC of ? 30 dB.

Doctor j

3. mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital AllStar

Oct 3, 2004
    Thanks for the reply.

I figure about 100 feet of this distance is from where the cables leave the building, so if the voltage drop becomes an issue, I can move the power locker right inside the building where the cables enter, and then have the rest of the 50 or so feet to the SWM-8. I'm going to try it first at the end; the run may be slightly shorter. I haven't measured it exactly, just used my "practiced eye" :)

4. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Except you can't transfer names on accounts.

5. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Yes you can, it depends entirely who you end up with on the phone...

6. mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital AllStar

Oct 3, 2004
    DirecTv customer service is telling me they can't change the name on the account; that I will have to cancel the account and open a new account for me. This is via email.

Funny thing is, they didn't seem to have any problem 6 years ago when my dad passed away in putting the account into my Mom's name. Maybe I should just close the account and open a new one. I should be a new customer then. Maybe I can get a good deal on an HR24? :)

I'd like to keep the original account, though. It's been open since 1995.

Another thing I just thought of. I used to have a DirecTv account in another city which I closed about 2 years ago. How long do you have to be gone to be considered a new customer if you come back? Maybe I should just get a new account, and then after it is up and running, turn off the old one.

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Accounts can be transferred between married or divorcing couples, but that's generally the only exception with DirecTV.

The SWM8 has a power-locker built-in. That's the primary reason for the power inserter. The Sonora would be completely redundant with a SWM8. They are intended for when you are running non-powered switches like the WB68.

8. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008

Negative ghost rider. Now the account holder can take it with them or the person who wants it can create a new account.

Death is the only exception now.