1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New receiver old dish..

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Jwt545054, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Jwt545054

Jwt545054 New Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I have a swim-5 dish at home. On occasion I want to take one of my standard boxes (no hd or dvr needed there) to my hunting camp which has a traditional round dish already installed. When I hook the box from home the only dish options I can choose are other swim types. The round dish options are there but just can't be clicked on. Other than buying another swim dish, (i hesitate to do this as I am not electronically savvy), do I have any options? Thanks in Advance. I'm a new member.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You can get it to work, BUT receivers can be very troublesome to convert back to a non SWiM system.
    You may need to do things like "reset everything" [to factory defaults] and even then it may take a few reboots before it's shifted from a SWiM configuration.

3. Jwt545054

Jwt545054 New Member

Oct 17, 2011
    If I did this what would I have to do when I bring it home?
    Could I just leave it up there if I do not need it at home? I do not want it to be disabled if it is not at home.

4. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Going to SWiM is easy, so bring it back would be "merely" powering it up on a SWiM. If you're planning on "bouncing" it back and forth, you may want to use another receiver for "there". As long as it's connected to a dish, and active on your account, you should be fine.

5. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    A quick repeat sat setup would probably do it

6. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Maybe "should" do it, but in practice, it doesn't always AND can be a bit of a pain, as you need to repeat "every trick" you know before it "flips" back to legacy mode.

7. Jwt545054

Jwt545054 New Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Ok so I'll get to the camp and hook it up. It will try to find signal but it will not be able to because it is not a swim dish. At this point i'l go into setup and if I can't choose the circle dish what is my next step? When you recommend rebooting what does that mean. Is that the next proper step? Thanks for the step by step.

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Rebooting is just like powering it up [plugging in the power cord], so you'll need to go into the menu and find the "reset everything" option.
    When it does "reset" you'll be able to re-run the SAT setup and select the correct dish type.
    As long as it is still in SWiM mode, that option is grayed out.

I did a reset everything and it rebooted but still hadn't changed, so I had to reboot it one or two more times before it finally "flipped" to non SWiM.

9. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Why not pick up an extra standard receiver for your hunting camp instead of going through all that hassle each time you move the receiver?

You can pick them up on eBay but be sure of two things:

1. It's not a leased receiver. To do this, get the receiver ID number before you buy it and call DirecTV and ask them.

2. Make sure it HAS an RID (receiver ID number-not to be confused with a serial number). Older receivers didn't have RID's and DirecTV won't activate them on an account unless they were active on that account previously.

10. wahooq

wahooq DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    JWT try changing the switch type first then chnage the dish type to round

11. Jwt545054

Jwt545054 New Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Alright. Last two questions...hopefully. Do I change the switch in the menu, if so what do I change it to. If I get another box would I just take my access card back and forth?

12. wahooq

wahooq DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    menu button on remote.....from onscreen choose parental,favs and setup>system setup>satellite>repeat satellite setup...push the dash key (under the 7 button on remote) then on dish type screen change switch to multiswitch then change to 18 round ....then continue......no if you buy a used box you will need a new access card...if you get a new box it wll come with a card....if buying a used one be sure to get the rid and call DTV to be sure the box is able t be activated

13. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    As wahooq noted, you can't swap cards between receivers. If you pick up a used owned receiver and it is owned on your account, you can activate and deactivate it as desired. That way you will only pay mirroring fees when you are actually using the receiver.

Keep in mind your terms of service only permit having service at one location at a time. If no one will be at your primary home using service while you are using it at your cabin, you are at least honoring the spirit of those terms.