1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New remote control

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bhigh8, Aug 17, 2013.

1. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    I went to my buddies house and he had some nice looking new remotes for his receivers. he was told they came out like a week ago. Anyone know what they are called? or if they do anything different? Just was curious. I have like 25 of the old ones, but these were smaller and looked cooler.

I am trying to find a way to hook up 3 tvs in same room and still be able to control them all separately even if they are same make. if they are same brand the volume will change when controlling at least two of them.

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    They are the new RC71 and came out with the HR44's a few months ago. They no longer have the color buttons, except red, and are missing a stop button. If you search RC71 you'll find plenty of posts on them.

3. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    thanks. I just got an HR44 and didn't get a remote. I had plenty though.

4. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Another difference is the HR44 receives only IR signals from the older remotes. It will receive RF from the new remotes.

5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The old DirecTV remote has 4 modes. Directv and TV modes are specifically for those devices. That leaves you with AV1 and AV2. you can program either a receiver or TV under those modes. so if you have 3 receivers, you can control all 3 (independently of each other) plus a TV with a single remote

6. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    I was told I could not if the tvs are the same. I could make one IR and one RF but the third one would still have issues with the volume being controlled on two tvs/

I am hanging 3 tvs on the wall and wanted them to all be the same tv.

7. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Unless the TV allows you to change remote codes you're out of luck. If it does allow you then you're not going to be able to do it with a single DirecTV remote.

8. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    I was told the RC71 can only be used with a Genie. so could I use that with one TV and then use a different remote on IR and one on RF and not have a problem. or will it still be an issue with volume.

9. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    TV will only work on IR

10. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    If all TVs are the same brand you are going to have issues regardless

11. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I bought an RC71 to play with and to help my friend when she calls with a problem.
    I have tried to program it for use with my Samsung and my Vizio. An HR24 is the receiver for each.
    I found one code that will partially operate the Vizio. I can not make it operate the Samsung at all.
    The remote does operate the HR24s with no problem at all.

12. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    The RC71 in IR will work with any H2X or HR. The RC71 in RF will only work with an HR44 or C41. You won't be able to use any DirecTV remote to control your TV via RF.

As I pointed out before... Unless your TV's will allow you to change their remote code set you won't be able to have 3 of the same model in the same room and control them independently.

13. bhigh8

bhigh8 Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    okay. thanks for your help. stinks I cant have same tv but oh well. unless there is a way to do this with a non directv remote.

14. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    But again the problem with what you want to do is on the TV's end, not the remote.

You need a TV model which allows you to set different remote codes for operating multiple TVs of that same model in the same locale, if a TV even exists with such a feature.

Short of that, about all that can be suggested is a home control system with separate IR blasters to each TV. such as the "Ocelot" HC system here;

http://www.smarthome.com/73101/Applied-Digital-OCELOT-Modular-Home-Control-System/p.aspx.

Not that cheap, but I imagine certainly a whole lot cheaper than replacing two of the TVs with different models.

15. chroma601

chroma601 Cool Member

Jun 6, 2010
    Sylva, NC
    I'm wondering why there's no STOP button. Is there a hidden workaround?

16. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I'm wondering why there's no STOP button. Is there a hidden workaround?
    for which particular function in which screen? People don't realize it did quite a bit in different screens.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

17. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you are wanting to stop and get out of a recording you can press Guide and just change to what you want and the recording stops.
    You can also press the Exit button and the recording will stop.

18. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
  19. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    A lot of us are wondering the same thing. Unfortunately there is no workaround. Their idea is to use "back".