1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New remote? Old remote? Huh?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by deebeeeff, Dec 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deebeeeff

deebeeeff Legend

Oct 10, 2006
    I saw a reference where someone got a replacement HR20 and it had a "new" remote.
    How does one know if one has the "new" or "old" remote and what is the diff?

2. jaywdetroit

jaywdetroit Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
  3. deebeeeff

deebeeeff Legend

Oct 10, 2006
    Thanks for the info.
    Read the reviews. Didn't quite understand everything. Must be a dunce. :lol: :confused:
    I have two remotes, one of which was "accidentally":lol: left behind when I returned a HR20 to D*. (Hey, the instructions said "DO NOT RETURN REMOTE"!:lol: )
    That one has an FCC sticker on it and is the "newer" of the two.
    The other does not have an FCC sticker on it.
    Both work in RF or IR mode.
    Both look identical.
    Neither has backlight.

4. jgriffin104

jgriffin104 Mentor

Sep 21, 2006
    The RC24 has the FCC sticker on it and will work the H-20-700 in IR and RF mode.

The RC32 is IR only.

5. deebeeeff

deebeeeff Legend

Oct 10, 2006
    The new remote is IR only? Did I miss something? Obviously that would mean it is not an improved remote, just newer?

6. jgriffin104

jgriffin104 Mentor

Sep 21, 2006
    Call D and tell you want the new RC32RF. That your receiver is in a cabnet and the IR won't work.

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The newest remote is the RC34. I got one with my replacement HR20. It's so new the CSR's don't know much about it. Here's what I can guess so far:

-Looks like the RC32
    -Both IR and RF
    -Can send IR commands to some components while sending RF to HR20 (according to others, I haven't tested it)

8. ajwillys

ajwillys Godfather

Jun 14, 2006

Yeah, I have the RC34 also and agree with lamontcranston. Mine came with the RC34 also.

9. deebeeeff

deebeeeff Legend

Oct 10, 2006
    Sounds like what I have.
    It works so I guess I shouldn't care.

10. HolmesCo

HolmesCo Icon

Dec 4, 2006
    Yes mine came with RC34, is RF and I also bought an RC32RF.

I don't see any difference in the two personally, and also don't see what is backlit about the RC32RF.

I do not see a button in upper corener to back light it. There is no backlight when I push any button, and there is no button in upper right to turn the backlight on, as Earl stated in the other thread, at least I am sure not seeing it. Do others with the RC32RF have it backlighting? Where is the switch? Wonder if I got a 'lemon'

11. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Southern Ca
    The button is along the right edge of the remote.

12. HolmesCo

HolmesCo Icon

Dec 4, 2006
    Thanks, I finally found it after I got unstuck from looking at upper right corner. I have tunnel vision. :)

13. JoshFink

JoshFink AllStar

Dec 11, 2006
    Does anyone know if there is a version of the RC34 that is backlit? My wife is complaining she can't see the buttons in the dark.. :D If so, where can it be ordered?

Thanks

Josh

14. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    yep can be ordered from D*

15. JoshFink

JoshFink AllStar

Dec 11, 2006
    Do you need to call them or can it be ordered over the website?

Thanks

Josh

16. german72

german72 AllStar

Sep 1, 2006
    You can order on their website. It is listed there under "remotes".:)

17. JoshFink

JoshFink AllStar

Dec 11, 2006
    Thanks.. I must be braindead this morning.

Josh

18. JoshFink

JoshFink AllStar

Dec 11, 2006
    Actually, that looks like the RC32 not the RC34...

Am I wrong?

Josh

19. lyalem

lyalem New Member

Jan 7, 2007
    I upgraded both my receivers this weekend. One to HD20 non DVR and one to HD20-700 with DVR. I want to control the other TVs in my house that don't have a receiver with the HD20 non DVR. This used to work great with RF, but I can no longer control my TVs that don't have a receiver like I used to. I'm guessing that is because they were connected with coax and the new receiver is not.
    I was told by another member here to buy an RF modulator, connect the composites to the receiver and then the "coax that goes to the other tvs" to the modulator's output. I think I understand that- newbie- but two questions.
    1. The "coax cable that goes to the other tvs"- is this the coax cable that is currently laying on my floor because the installer told me that I would have one less cable since the new box doesn't use coax?

2. I'm assuming I need RF remotes for this to work. The remote that came with the non-DVR receiver is a 32, only IR. The remote that came with the HD20-700 is a 34, an IR and RF remote. The installer "sold" me two more receivers but they are 32, won't work for what I want. Can I use the 34 as an RF on a TV that doesn't have a receiver and just use one of the 32 remotes with my HR20-700? And where can I buy a couple more 34s as I have two other TVs in the house that I want to control via the non DVR receiver.
    Hope this makes sense. I'm just beginning to understand all of this.
    Thanks.

20. JoshFink

JoshFink AllStar

Dec 11, 2006
    Anyone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.