1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New roof, realign dish?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by jane8851, Jul 5, 2012.

1. jane8851

jane8851 Cool Member

Jul 10, 2011
    My husband put a new roof on the garage where the dish is. He put the dish back in the holes where it was and we get reception on all 3 satelites but I think maybe the signal is a little lower. Should I have someone come out and realign? Or does the fact that we get reception mean it's already where it's supposed to be?

2. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    If you get signal, it is close, but probably not the best it could be.

If your husband is handy, he could tweak the dish settings (azimuth and elevation only), but first check that the mast is perfectly vertical in the north south and east west planes.

You should only make very small adjustments to the AZ or EL and wait a couple of minutes for it to stabilize, then see if the signal is stronger or weaker on the point Dish screen.

If you do not feel comfortable doing this, call Dish, get the Home Protection plan, then call back and schedule a dish realignment (w/o HPP the service call would be $95 I believe its $15 with HPP).

3. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Satellites are located 22,300 miles above the equator, new shingles under the foot of the dish change the locatipn of the dish. Even if it is mounted in the same holes that dosen't mean the new location is a perfectly aimed dish.
    Yes you need a professional realignment. Reusing the same holes also may not give the strongest mounting that wood has already been used and the dish really should go into fresh wood.

4. jane8851

jane8851 Cool Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Thanks all for the advice. I have the protection plan so I called for a realignment. Guy is coming tomorrow.