1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New roof

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by 420benz, Jul 19, 2010.

Tags:
  1. 420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia
    The dish is installed on the roof.Should i let the roofer remove and re-install the dish or should i call D* to do it?

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    If you are handy with a wrench and are comfortable possibly having to re-tweak it a little bit just let the roofer do it if there is no extra charge and he can do it without cutting the lines and messing stuff up. It should come off with minimal adjustment, if any at all. I have taken them down and not adjusted any settings. You could probably do it yourself as well.

If you don't feel you would be able to tweak it if needed, and it is really easy BTW, D* doing it is probably your best bet. Someone else will know if they need to both take it down and put it up or just put it up. I believe just up.

3. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Have the roofer do it. This way they can't come back and say "your warranty is void, you put a dish in the roof" If they install it, they take responsibility if it leaks. (And they won't let it leak).

Most roofers do a pretty good job of re-mounting it. If you haven't had a service call in over a year call D* and setup a service call for the day after your roof is done.

DO NOT MENTION ANYTHING ABOUT A NEW ROOF!!!!

A lot of D* CSR's will mark this as "Customer Caused" and the service call will not be free. If you say "I think my dish is out of alignment" which it will be, they will probably send someone out for free.

4. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Don't mention anything you don't have to. :)

Speaking only when spoken to seems to be the best advice with many CSRs :grin:

5. franko

franko New Member

Apr 18, 2007
    I just went through this 3 weeks ago. The roofer took down the dish and put it back in the same holes. As I expected the dish needed to be fine tuned when they were done. I didn't think this would be a problem as I have the protection plan and thought it would be covered. I was wrong and was charged $49.95 plus tax for the service call. If you have the protection plan don't tell customer service your dish was taken down so a new roof could be installed and than replaced as I did because it's not covered. Just tell them the wind blew it out of alignment and they will pay for it and save your self $50.00

6. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Yep. Pretty much what I said. However if you have already had a service call this year, then you probably won't get another for free till next year.

7. 420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia
    Great advise. But when it was installed D* installed the cables on top of the roof about 12" from the end. these cables will be removed in order to install the new roof. I don't want the cables back on the roof. I am having problems when it rains. Maybe that would be a good reason to call for a dish adjustment. How can i get them to reinstall the cables.

8. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    It's hard to say without knowing how much work it is to relocate the cables. You might be able to work something out with the tech that comes out to peak your dish.

9. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    As long as you dont have a problem being dishonest about it...:nono:

10. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    I don't see anything wrong with that.

I guess I'm just morally gray. !Devil_lol

11. 420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia
    I could relocate the cables myself. When i remove the cables from the box in the attic,will the HR-24 need to be reset?