1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New service/receiver tips?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Driver_1, May 22, 2009.

1. Driver_1

Driver_1 AllStar

May 22, 2009
    I'm looking at HR22's on ebay, since that's what DTV is promoting, for the most part. Any feedback on that one?

I'm doing the install myself (I shot birds for Uncle Sam, so I can handle that one). What is the bearing(s) for their birds now?

I'm going no-contract, probably just minimum program package.

Thanks for input there...

2. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    Welcome!

You ,however, need to do more research.

1) Doubt you can get anything w/o 18 or more likely 24 month commitment.

2) Doubt you can activate New account w/o a tech install.

3) I'd be leary of any e-bay Directv receivers.

Most everything is leased. Must get RID (receiver ID) # and access card # and check with Directv about status.

Doctor j

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
  4. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    If you get a IRD of eBay make sure to check the RID with D* before buying to check if the IRD isn't leased. Anyway add $20 to the price for a new card if the IRD isn't mint in box.
    DirevTV's slimline dish is centered on 101. There's plenty of threads here with instructions.
    You won't be able to go no contract. You would be able to do that with E* but not sure in combination with self install.

5. Driver_1

Driver_1 AllStar

May 22, 2009
    The DTV cusreps did say buy with care (lease machines/previous balances/etc).

I did not ask if supposedly 'New, factory sealed units' cannot be owned by the end user. Is this possible - that legitimate new, factory sealed units CANNOT be owned?

None have said 'no contract service' would be a problem (without trying HARD to get me to go that way anyway).

Thanks for the link JDS...

What's 'E*'?

6. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    E* = Dish as opposed to D* which stands for DirecTV.

7. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Unless you are paying about $500-600 for a HD DVR you are paying a "LEASE UPGRADE FEE" not an ownership fee. That means a 24 month contract. It ain't rocket science but you need more research.

8. Driver_1

Driver_1 AllStar

May 22, 2009
    No matter the subject, I usually know the questions to ask...

Ok, googled DirecTV Lease Upgrade Fee, and didn't find that answer yet..., BUT, in another forum, someone says they bought a receiver retail (CirCity), and when he activated the service, he was later led to believe he 'gave' his receiver to D*, and began leasing it from THEM. :confused:

Is that possible? Was that in the CirCity sales receipt? Was it not possible to have service and retain 'ownership' of his receiver?

Post #5...
    www scam com/showthread.php?t=17550

9. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    It was not possible. If you pay $200 or less for a receiver, it is a payment to start a lease. It doesn't matter what anyone, including a sales rep, tells you.

10. EricJRW

EricJRW Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    Keller, TX
    Here's a little reading on that lease thing...

In conjunction from "buying" an HR23:

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=HR23

Drat... Well ya know I could have sworn that page had the print on the lease, but when I looked at it, it was not there... Anyway, you still may find the info of interest.

[edit] Guess it was this part:

As of 3/1/06 DIRECTV® now requires a 24 month commitment and all equipment must be returned to DIRECTV® if customer cancels service with DIRECTV®

11. Driver_1

Driver_1 AllStar

May 22, 2009
    I think this is pretty accurate, because:

Just got back from BestBuy, and after about 15 minutes of Q&A, and lots of uncertainty, we got a pretty definitive answer that ended immediately the session.

He had an HR22 - supposedly the best on the shelf, that I told him let's ring it up (only $199 tho' :confused:) I said if get home, call them up, and it changes to 'lease' (contrary to what the D* reps said), then I can bring it back, he said yup. So the release that's part of the sale said "Cust agrees to commitment for [insert 4 components of D*] service".

:confused:

Then I was figurin' it IS lease, and something was said for which the answer was "ALL HR22 receivers from BB get service as LEASED hardware". Apparently, it's an agreement at the corporate level.

So, what are my options with respect to equipment sans contract?

Can I get ANY HD service without a contract, as the 2 different D* reps said today?

And how about SD? That quality is okay with me; surely almost ANY SD receiver can pull service as owned equipment?

12. Driver_1

Driver_1 AllStar

May 22, 2009
    So a store seller of HR22's on ebay has also just replied to my question about a statement he has on his ads "Ownership of units might be up to D*, and leased service might be necessary".

Might?

13. fredandbetty

fredandbetty Godfather

Jan 28, 2007
    Oh, and... :welcome_s

14. netraa

netraa Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    You might be able to get a no contract setup with the following:

Buy your own dish, lnb, and do your own install.
    BUY your own HR21-PRO rcvrs seen for sale on various web sites from 299 to 699 *currently listed at 399 on solid signal's web site. These are purchased units, not lease upgrade units so there should not be a contract commitment with these.

only stickler would be if they imposed a contract time period for establishing new service and that's something that you would be best calling direct tv and confirming.

So, by the time you spend:
    100-200 bucks on the install,
    400-800-1200 bucks on the rcvrs....

the 240ish ETF is looking right cheap.

15. Driver_1

Driver_1 AllStar

May 22, 2009
    Thanks; good info to think on there...

Anybody else with thoughts?

With nothing on paper from D*, all the research that I can do is really futile, although I CAN record the conversation (for 'quality assurance and [protection] purposes' of course :lol:)

16. EricJRW

EricJRW Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    Keller, TX
    Does D* offer any equipment at zero cost? Since SD came up, and I know my upgrade to HD (sans DVR) would have been free (until I went with the DVR and then just paid "shipping", but still did not even require a new contract - though this was during the big MPEG-4 push), I just wonder if you go with a basic SD package, maybe the equipment (and install? mine was) can be had for free...

Plus I wonder with AT&U with it's free U-verse receivers, D* might be more aggressive.

But then you never know until you ask.

17. cariera

cariera Icon

Oct 27, 2006
    You mean the $480 ish ETF:)

18. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Sure. The standard deal is the first receiver is free, from a regular standalone SD receiver all the way up to an HD DVR.

19. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    You can think on that info, but it won't do any good. DirecTV simply will not allow a customer to sign up without a contract. Period.

20. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Actually, per a DirecTV CSR here, there IS in fact a way, and it's a decent bargain too:

I'm not clear on this, but I *believe* that the customer would either have to purchase a dish and do his own install, or pay DirecTV to provide installation (likely $99). If I'm mistaken, please correct me.

Anyway, these options are ONLY available *directly* from DirecTV, and you may need to escalate beyond first-level CSRs to find someone who knows about this, because it is VERY rare for a customer to insist on owning and go through the hassle to do so. But it *can* be done.