1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Setup for Direct TV...questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by JCarver27, Aug 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCarver27

JCarver27 Cool Member

Aug 13, 2007
    I'm pretty sure I'm about to dump TimeWarner for DirectTV, since I'm tired of every new sports channel being a hassle for TW & Comcast, but a breeze for DirectTV. I grabbed a brochure from Circuit City and it listed 4 different tiers:

Choice - Basic package, no HD, no DVR
    Plus DVR - More channels, DVR
    Plus HD DVR - A couple more channels, HD, DVR
    Premier - A bunch of channels, I'm assuming HD & DVR but it doesn't list that specifically

In my house I have 1 big screen HD TV, and with the new setup I've heard you can get it set up in up to 4 rooms. I would need 1 HD DVR package, and the other 3 TVs would just need regular channels with no DVR (basically the Choice option for 3 of the 4 TVs).

The HD TV would also need the ability to add the Big Ten Network & The MLB Extra Innings subscriptions.

So, Question #1
    For the big screen HD TV, would the better option be the Plus HD DVR or the Premier? In other words, can I get the BTN & MLB packages with the Plus HD DVR package? I don't need HBO or anything special aside from those 2 packages. The Plus HD DVR option is 69.99....would I be able to pay that and then an additional monthly fee for BTN & MLB?

Question #2
    Is it possible to mix and match from those 4 tiers? I want 1 TV to have the PlusHD or Premier package, and the other 3 to have the Choice package. Is that possible....and even if it is, is that any cheaper than just getting the $70/month option and having that for 4 rooms even though I only have 1 HD TV?

Cliff's Notes version: What would you do if you had 1 HD TV and 3 other TVs, and all you wanted were local channels + the ESPN/CNN/MTVs of the world (Nothing that costs extra), some HD, 1 DVR, the BTN, and the MLB package?

I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting for now. Thanks in advance.

2. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    The package you choose applies to your household, all sets.

3. JCarver27

JCarver27 Cool Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Does that mean with the DVR package, I'd get 4 DVRs? I can live with that.....watching TV without a DVR sucks :p

4. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Forgot to add, the DVR fee ( 5.99 ?)is also a one time(per month) charge that covers all the dvr's in your house. It is 4.99 per month per receiver.

5. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I meant the subscription package you choose. The DVR's are optional, standard tuners are included in the initial install. Premier I don't believe includes DVR or HD.

6. VeniceDre

VeniceDre Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    If you don't care about the premium channels go with DirecTV Plus HD DVR. The Big Ten Network will be in that package so you don't have to pay anything extra... Only additional cost would be 3x 4.99 for the additional three receivers and MLB or Sunday Ticket if you choose.

7. JCarver27

JCarver27 Cool Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Oh OK. I'd only need 1 DVR then. I'd get 3 other non DVR tuners.

I didn't know the BTN was included. Great news!

I'm assuming then you can just pay some monthly fee for any additional package you want then. Sounds really good.

Thank you everybody for your help.

8. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    And WELCOME to DBSTalk

Enjoy your new equipment:)

9. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    JCarver27,

Welcome to DBSTalk! :welcome_s

If you get an HD DVR, regardless of which package you choose, you will be required to have DVR service ($5.99 a month fee) and the HD Access package ($9.99 a month). With the PLUS HD DVR package, those two fees are included in the package price already, so you would not be charged for them in addition to the package. That package includes all the non-premium channels, your local channels, and your local Regional Sports Channel (which is determined by your zip code).

There is a package mirroring fee that pays to put the same programming on all receivers that are on your account. That fee is $4.99 a month and applies to all receivers on your account except for the first one, for which there is no additional charge.

Now I'll be danged - right now I can go to DirecTV's web site and I cannot find the pricing for the PLUS HD DVR package (probably because that's basically what I've got). But for example, if you subscribed to the PLUS DVR package, the package is $59.99 a month and it would already include the $5.99 DVR fee. Because you have HD equipment, you would also automatically be charged $9.99 for the HD Access fee. In addition, the 3 additional receivers would cost $14.97 a month for a total before tax of $84.95 a month.

The PLUS HD DVR package would already include both the HD and DVR fees, so the only additional cost above the package cost (someone please chime in if you know what that package price is???) would be the $14.97 for the additional receivers.

For new customers, DirecTV is currently running a special in which you pay $69.99 a month for four months and receive the Premier package (which includes all the movie channels and the full sports package which is all of the Regional Sports channels) PLUS in addition to the Premier package, you would get the full 2007 season of NFL Sunday Ticket. At the end of that four months, you can continue with the Premier package for $99.99 a month, or change to one of the other packages. I do believe that both the $9.99 HD Access fee and the $5.99 DVR service fee would be charged above and beyond the $69.99 and/or $99.99 Premier Package price - plus the $14.97 for the additional recievers.

For what you are trying to do, I would say if you want to get Sunday Ticket, go with their current deal. If you would not be wanting Sunday Ticket, it sounds like the PLUS HD DVR package would be what you want.

Be aware that there would be an equipment charge for the HD DVR that I believe would depend on how your credit is and some other factors. In leasing the HD DVR you would also be required to agree to a two year commitment to maintain your account with at least a programming package of $29.99 or more per month.

Finally, there is the DirecTV Protection Plan that you could choose to add to your account (you would not be required to). That plan is $5.99 a month and basically covers all the equipment from the satellite inputs on the back of your receivers to the dish itself (and cables, multi-switches, etc. in between), as well as realignment of the dish should that be necessary. Without the protection plan, service calls (haiving a tech come out for problem resolution) can cost at least $70. The receiver itself is covered under the lease, but with the PP replacement receivers would be shipped free of charge.

A lot of information, but I hope it gives you a pretty good idea of what you'll be looking at. Good luck with what you choose to do!

10. cariera

cariera Icon

Oct 27, 2006
  11. JCarver27

JCarver27 Cool Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Thanks for the extra info!

Another thought popped into my head this morning. What is the latest and greatest equipment that I should expect when the guy comes to install? I don't want to get ripped off with somebody trying to get rid of an outdated dish or the wrong HD receiver.

12. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    There are a lot of equivalent models of SD receiver, so don't worry about that.

The dish will probably be the AU9 "Slimline".

The current receiver is the H20, and the DVR is the HR20. There is more than one model of each but they look almost identical and are functionally the same.

13. msmith198025

msmith198025 Member of the Year

Jun 28, 2007
    Sounds like you need the PLUS HD DVR package with whatever sports package add ons that you want.

14. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    The premier includes DVR but not HD access. HD access is another $10 a month. It also does not cover the $5 for each add'l reciever, but you get more for what you pay for. I think HD dvr package is good as long as you don't want premium channels like hbo...etc etc. cause the hit them ala carte and it gets more expensive. No it does not mean 4 dvr's either you will have to upgrade if you want that too. Now with Direc you need an h20 or HR20 (DVR) for all the new channels that are coming next month.

15. Homebrew101

Homebrew101 Legend

Jul 12, 2006

All you would need is the Plus HD DVR package and then pay for EI and it would all be available to any box you get whether a dvr box or not. Big Ten package is already included and not extra:D.

If there is even a chance you would want/need an over-the -air (OTA) antennae for your local channels, you might want to specify the H20 box in case they start rolling out the H21 which doesn't include a tuner. OTA has saved my butt with the missus a few times during a heavy storm.

FWIW, I have 3 HD tv's running off of 2 boxes. In other words, to save the $4.99/month equipment fee per additional box, you can run more than 1 off of a box if that isn't too inconvenient for you.

16. DishCSR

DishCSR Godfather

Jan 14, 2004

17. JCarver27

JCarver27 Cool Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Possible stumbling block: According to the guy I talked to today on the phone, I can't get the local channels that I want. I live in Pennsylvania, but I live on the NY border, and the local channels I watch now (mostly for news) are based in NY. The guy on the phone said there is no way I could get the local channels from NY (about 20 miles away) and I would have to get the ones from PA (about 60 miles away).

Is this true? Is there no way I can get the NY local channels?

18. msmith198025

Jun 28, 2007
    It is possible that you cant, but it wouldnt be anything to do with D*. Its the way the lines are drawn. Did you have them with whatever service you had before? Would an antenna be an option for you? You could always "move" closer to NY

19. JCarver27

JCarver27 Cool Member

Aug 13, 2007
    I have TimeWarner now, so I get both the Scranton (PA) and Binghamton (NY) local channels for ABC and CBS.

If the antenna you're talking about would be something separate from the dish, then we're getting into too much of a hassle for not enough benefit.

20. msmith198025

Jun 28, 2007
    well then your only option may be to use an address inside the market area that you want. But of course you would have to "move" after it was installed at your home

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.