1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New setup with genie's and clients?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by circlessat, Nov 13, 2012.

1. circlessat

circlessat New Member

Feb 18, 2012
    I have a friend who had the whole home setup installed 6 months ago. His equipment consists of HR 24, and 3 H24's. I'm interested in getting the whole home setup also. I'm confused because everything appears to be different. Now there talking about Home media center, genie and clients. I don't have a clue what all this new equipment is. I understood the whole home setup with the equipment that my friend has (HR24 & H24). Now with all this new equipment, I'm lost. Should I get the whole home setup that my friend has, or get the new setup with HMC, and genie and clients? I would appreciate it if someone could explain the new setup and how it compares to the (HR24 & H24) setup. What are the advantages of one over the other? What is the Home media center, genie, clients?. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The genie is the hr34 which has 5 tuners, larger hard drive, supports 100 series links and PIP. The clients are the C31, which can rewind/pause live tv which the h24 can't, but use one of the genies tuners. You don't have to use the C31, you can use regular receivers.

What do you currently have? (Or will you be a new customer)?

3. circlessat

circlessat New Member

Feb 18, 2012
    I am an existing customer looking to upgrade my equipment. HR21 & 2 D12. Thanks for your response.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    So your friend has something sort of like what you have, but because they have HD receivers, they can watch recordings from the DVR on the HD receivers.

The Genie is a slightly different animal, as "everything" is done on the Genie [server] and then the clients are the slaves to the server.
    5 tuners get shared with the [non tuner] clients, which means you have a [remote] DVR in every room. Pausing live TV at any time, playing recordings, starting recordings, etc.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Whole home like what your friend has can be done with your current DVR. Your D12's would need replaced. DirecTV will not guarantee an HR24, so really the only way to know that you get a new DVR is to go with the Genie.

Functionally speaking (based on DirecTV's definition), the HR21 is equivalent to the HR24. In actual use, the 24 is faster and has a larger hard drive, plus has one of the whole home components built in. On the HR21, it's a box that's external to the DVR.

6. jborchel

jborchel Legend

Oct 7, 2005
    Can I do PIP on the C31 client?

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    No, Genie only.

8. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    It is possible to get an HR44 and not a 34 as your Genie. And C41's instead of C31's as clients.

Edit - just noticed the date on your post! I didn't realize how old the thread was initially. Sorry!!

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The new responses would be better in a separate thread, but I'll leave that to a mod :)