1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New setup

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by dorant, Oct 25, 2010.

1. dorant

dorant New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Thanks in advance for the help!

I have a two TV setup currently with 2 HR20's and a slimline dish circa 2006. I am not connceted to a network or a phone line so I have never used any bells and whistles. I currently have 4 wires from dish (2 to each)

My HR20's are dying and havnt been keeping up with DTV technology so the question is:

What so I need to get the newst most advanced system including MRV, on demnad, etc (any other suggestions? What are the recievers to get now? New dish? how to wire?

Doran

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The simplest thing would be to connect ethernet cables to the receivers and your router, then send an email request to have MRV added to your account "unsupported".
    Now to go the supported method which be to have the connected home networking upgrade. This will add DECAs and change the dish to a SWiM type [required for DECA]. Normal cost is $99 + service call $49.
    This may not change your HR20s though since they can work with DECA.
    There is also a Cinema connection kit for internet access and about $25.
    Seems like you should make a call to DirecTV and see what they can offer you.

3. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Depending on what model HR20 he has, the MRV upgrade could get him new receivers, but you are right it does not gaurantee it.

4. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Nope. Directv isn't going to give him free HDDVR's to replace his HR20's for MRV. Even if they're those darn -100 types. :grin:

5. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Actually there have been many people on here who had their HR20s replaced because the installer couldn't get them to work on MRV, especially the HR20-100. I'm not saying they should be, but I think many techs don't know how they are supposed to hook upt the HR20-100 so they just hook it up like any other HR21-23 and then say it doesn't work and replace it with a newer unit.

6. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    That's laziness, not policy. If you swap those IRD's on an upgrade, they'll need to be added to the work order, at which time you'll have to pay for them. The Order Management Dept. will make sure of that.
    There's no reason to be swapping out these boxes, especially during an HD equipment shortage. Doing so is a huge waste of time and resources.

7. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Wrong!!! They did it on my HR20-100 and I had two of them and it was FREE!!!

And I got an HR24-500 for them. Along with my DECA/SWM and WHDVR Service and HBO Free for 6 Months and a SWM16 all for $75 plus the charge for WHDVR.

Now maybe they aren't playing as Nice now that there are shortages in supplies but I got a Steal, I mean Deal!!!

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    While you did this some time back, I don't think it does anybody a service to suggest this will happen to them now.
    When the HR20 first came out, they "gave me" two of them for free and threw so many credits at me that they'd paid me over $150 to use them.
    Clearly those days are gone and telling someone to expect something like this, will only end up bad. :(
    Where if they know what to expect and get a better deal, they're :hurah:

9. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    IF that's the way that the upgrade was set up at the time of order, then yes, it'll be included. It's dumb, because the HR20-100's will work just fine with MRV.
    But if it's not, and the tech arrives and decides he just wants to be lazy and swap the IRD, either he's going to pay for it (if he calls the call center to swap them) because those IRDs will not come out of his inventory, or you will (because he called the OMG to get them added to the work order).

10. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Well, he called them and told them that there were problems with the HR20-100 constantly rebooting and I had other issues so they told him to Replace it and they did not bill either him or me.

I got a HR24-500 for it.

11. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    That's not the same thing.

That (While untrue, except for 3D) seems to be the issue. "Dying" is different than DEAD. What is dying about them? They're slow?

12. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    He meant the HRs are Dying and that He hasn't been keeping up with the latest technology not the HR2X DVR.

Mine weren't Dead either but were just having Issues from being an older unit with perhaps a Failing Hard Drive or a Failing or Marginal Power Supply Unit so I pushed for a new unit and got one even though it still worked but had Issues.