1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New SHVERA draft ties Dish distants, short markets to 210-market LIL

Discussion in 'Legislative and Regulatory Issues' started by FTA Michael, Sep 16, 2009.

1. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    Essential story (if you care about such things) from Multichannel News: http://www.multichannel.com/article...rket_Fix.php?nid=2226&source=link&rid=5207347

"A house Judiciary Committee draft of a SHVERA bill (now named the Satellite Home Viewer Digital Television Act) ... still contains language that would allow Dish Network back into the distant-signal business in exchange for delivering local TV station signals in all 210 Nielsen markets"

This draft would only give temporary but renewable authorization to Dish, and would put the courts in charge of enforcement.

More details, including that short-market stuff, in the article. Go read it!

Edit: Also found a link to the story about the Senate version of the bill: http://www.multichannel.com/article..._Markets.php?nid=2226&source=link&rid=5207347

2. Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis Godfather

Dec 28, 2003
    The Senate version would also allow importation of non-commercial stations into adjacent in-state markets.

I find this somewhat confusing, since I thought importation of non-commercial stations could already be done. Isn't there a network in Mississippi or another southern state that reached a deal with one of the providers to be distributed statewide?

3. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I cant wait to see how it all turns out. It should be good news in one way or another for all who are missing all or part of their local stations.

4. Craigbiz

Craigbiz New Member

Sep 25, 2009
    How does this apply to New Hampshire? The only major station in the entire state is WMUR (ABC) but yet the SOBs consider this as part of the Boston, DMA. Is Manchester a Short Market like it should be, or will we be stuck with Boston only?

5. Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis Godfather

Dec 28, 2003
    Manchester is not a "short market" because it is not a market - it is officially part of the Boston market. In other words, it's not a case where it's a market missing network affiliates and Boston are added to the Manchester locals package, the Boston locals are the in-market affiliates for Manchester. The "SOBs" you refer to are the station owners who want the market assignment to stay the way it is.

If Manchester were its own market, it would be a "short market" and the out-of-market CBS/NBC/FOX affiliates would likely come from - guess where - Boston, so there would be no actual difference. In fact, viewers would get less, since WCVB and the smaller Boston stations would not be imported into the Manchester market.

6. Lodi25

Lodi25 Legend

Jun 23, 2009
    So dose this new BILL-LAW mean I can get San Fransisco locals too? I live in the Sacramento TV market and when I had COMCAST cable I go both locals.

7. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Im not taking it that they are trying to provide locals from 2 markets to people. Just that they are trying to make sure that everyone gets locals from the major 4 even if its not their market. If they really losen the way the sig. viewed stations work then maybe we might see some stuff like this happen. It should be interesting. They have to make the decisions soon and I for one can not wait! :)

8. greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth Godfather

Jul 18, 2005
    The situation he is referring to is that not all of NH can get WMUR. Part of the state is considered to be Burlington, VT, part is considered Boston, and yet another part is considered to be Portland, ME. Whether or not the amendment to SHVERA will fix this, I really have no idea. It is odd, though, you can watch WMUR in Plymouth, MASSACHUSETTS, but not Plymouth, NEW HAMPSHIRE:mad:

9. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I think it's pretty unlikely that Dish (or DirecTV) will choose to serve every DMA unless they are forced to. Many of those DMAs on the bottom of the list are TINY, and providing locals to them could only be done at a loss. The cost to run an uplink and monitor the additional channels would be costly enough, but there's also the problem of limited transponder space.

If it does happen, IMO it won't happen until the SD mirrors can be shut off.

10. Lodi25

Lodi25 Legend

Jun 23, 2009
    Are LA AND NYC locals still going to offered as DNS??

11. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I have heard no plans to do anything different with the DNS feeds. I would guess they are going to be around for awhile.

12. Lodi25

Lodi25 Legend

Jun 23, 2009
    oh alright cool. Just wondering. A friend of mine has a RV and gets those channels. Its cool to watch LA news when their is a high speed chase! lol