1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new sign up

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by hp123, Dec 17, 2009.

1. hp123

hp123 AllStar

Feb 21, 2009
    i have sign up for new direct tv with dvr and one regular receiver.....i have guy coming on weekend to set up ....which model dvr i should be getting...R16,R22? so i can keep eye on model # since i donot want to get old kind receiver...

thanks
    hp

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    You will most likely receive an R15 or R16. The R22 was designed for a few specific markets, and has been discontinued.

3. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    It depends on two things: If you have subscribed to HD service or SD service (high-definition/standard-definition) and what your installer has on his truck.

If you have SD service, you will get an R15 or an R16 DVR. It could be new or reconditioned. Both units are almost identical the only exception being that the R16 supports a fancier multiswitch which you will not get with only two receivers on your account.

If you have HD service, you could get all different kinds of HD DVR's again depending on what your installer has on his truck. Some are newer than others but they have some different features including the capablility of receiving over the air broadcasts and/or the capability to record more programs due to the size of the hard disk.

DirecTV's system only specifies one of two DVR types: SD or HD You can't request a particular model since the installers carry different models.

The only way to ensure that you get a BRAND NEW CURRENT MODEL receiver is to get one from a retailer like Best Buy or a web retailer. But being a new customer, even if you went to Best Buy they wouldn't let you take one home.

4. dudg

dudg New Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I signed up for an upgrade to SD-DVR on 12/10. The installer came on 12/14 with a R22-200. I was plesently supprised.

5. LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    WOW.......Lucky you... :)