1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New Slimline Multi HDDVR Install Friday

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by KCCraash, Apr 14, 2009.

Tags:
  1. KCCraash

KCCraash Cool Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Hi all,

After over 15 years with TWC, I'm moving to the world of DirecTV.

This Friday, I have an install scheduled with the following:

SWM Slimline
    3 HR22's.

The dish will RG6 home run to a 'wireroom' in my home. I already have RG6 runs from that location to each of my HDTV locations.

I'd love confirmation of the following, plus I'd welcome any pointers.

1. I understand that a single wire from the dish to the distribution point in the wireroom is all I need with this configuration?

2. Will a single RG6 coax from the distribution point to each H22 suffice? Do I loose any functiality with this method? Do I gain anything with a multiwire install?

3. With this setup, no BBC's are needed, since the dish handles that function.

What am I missing? ;-) Anything I should look for, or request of the installler?

Thank you very much,

2. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    To answer your questions:

1. Yes

2. Yes. You will not lose any functionality. The point of SWM is to eliminate the need for a second cable run to each DVR.

3. Correct. No BBCs are needed with SWM.

Sounds like you should be all set. Enjoy.

3. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    I agree. Sounds like you've got everything perfect.

:welcome_s to DBSTalk!!

4. KCCraash

KCCraash Cool Member

Sep 1, 2008
    My first post on this topic was MONTHS ago. I'm finially just pulling the trigger after months of study. I appreciate everyone's feedback.

5. RobertE

RobertE DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 9, 2006
    Keep in mind that there is a possiblility that the installer may not have swm available for the install. With that being said.

4 lines from the dish.

wb68 switch

2 lines to each dvr.

6. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    Well if you want to add some features to your setup like call waiting on the TV, and networking , Run 2-Cat5E to each spot. Use one for phoneline (Any tech likes this because they are required to get as many hooked up to phones as possible), and one for networking your DVRs.

7. Miller

Miller AllStar

Jul 21, 2005
    I am interested in knowing how the OP knows which dish and receivers will be installed? I read where you will receive a SWM if you have 5 or more lines installed…2 DVR’s and one standard receiver or greater but how does he know he will get HR22’s? I ordered two HDDVR’s and one standard receiver. I got a SWM and a HR22 plus a HR23.

I would consider running CAT 5 and phone line….assuming you don’t have a phone outlet near the receiver if you want Caller ID. You may get the installer to run it for you but be ready to pay extra. That and my installer told me DirectSat does not connect the DVR’s to the network even though D* promotes OnDemand.

8. KCCraash

KCCraash Cool Member

Sep 1, 2008
    I ordered through my installer, with a required list of hardware. So I know in advance what I'm getting.

9. KCCraash

KCCraash Cool Member

Sep 1, 2008
    I'm all over the IT side of it. I actually have 4 cat6's on that wall, 2 of which are already in use. They all terminate close to my phone patch, so jumping one over won't be an issue at all.

That said, any issue with running DTV over VoIP?

10. KCCraash

KCCraash Cool Member

Sep 1, 2008
    I placed a standing order with my installer, with a list of required hardware. Once he had the hardware, we scheduled installation

The ethernet is taken care of. I can use one of the spare ethernet lines as a voice feed..

any ideas on the 'will DTV work over VoIP question"?

11. Miller

Miller AllStar

Jul 21, 2005
    The more I learn, the more I wish I would of gone with a local installer...assuming I could of received the same deal.

12. KCCraash

KCCraash Cool Member

Sep 1, 2008
    I actually 'know' this guy, we go back aways. I wouldn't call us friends, but I do trust what he tells me. I've used him on multiple locations (none of which were my home). I ended up paying about $40 bucks more on a $400 hardware order, but I think its worth it to get what I want.

That said, he knows it will be an easy install, becuase of all the prewire I did when we built the house. So, I think it's a win/win for each of us.

13. KCCraash

KCCraash Cool Member

Sep 1, 2008
    I ordered through my installer, with a list of hardware I want. So, I already know it's a swm and HR22s.

14. RobertE

RobertE DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 9, 2006
    Good deal. Not the cheapest way to go, but as you've already found out, the level of service with a local retailer will be miles ahead of what the HSP force can offer.

The only drawback, which you are probably already are aware of, is that the SWMLnb supports up to 8 tuners. Could be a limit in the future.

15. dkouz

dkouz AllStar

May 5, 2007
    In my two short years of being in this business I have only had problems with VoIP a handful of times. The number one reason that I have seen for VoIP not working has been new voicemail messages. Reason being when the receiver checks for a dial tone all that it 'hears' are the waiting message beeps and does not stay connected long enough to 'hear' the dial tone. Clear the new voicemail(s) and it works as designed.

16. KCCraash

KCCraash Cool Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Very true. The money wasn't as important (to me) as getting the equipment I wanted, and being able to trust my installer.

As far as the 8 Tuner limit, is there ANY way around that limitation?

17. KCCraash

KCCraash Cool Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Great. Thanks for the info.

Just out of curosity, why doesn't the boxes default to using the internet, assuming that is available, and fall back to phone line if necessary?

I remeber back when I put a NIC in my series one standalone TIVO (not to mention a second hard drive). Even that device would default to using the internet.

18. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    Have to replace the SWM LNB with a 3 or 5 LNB with the older 4 coax out, split into a (separately purchased) SWM8 and WB68, 2 SWM8's, or 2 WB68's.

Or put up a second dish.

19. KCCraash

KCCraash Cool Member

Sep 1, 2008