1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New spliitter??? which one???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jksellman, Nov 8, 2012.

1. jksellman

jksellman Legend

Mar 22, 2007
    I have the following
    1 HR20-100 (W/ Outboard 2-TB HDD)
    1 HR20-700
    MRV and SWM

I currently have a four way SWM4 splitter (all four outputs are used)
    I want to add another HR20-700 I have.
    I see several types of 8 way SWM splitters out there...
    If they're green lable and SWM, will they work (with MRV)?
    Thanks

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The green label indicates it works with MRV.

Given you have a 4-way, can't you reconfigure the cables to connect the HR20?

3. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    I'd think he should be able to...

You should only have one cable going to each HD-DVR. So a four-way splitter is what you should need.
    The HR20-100 should have the cable going from the 4-way to a green-label two-way splitter, with a Band-Stop filter on Sat-In-1 going to one side of the two-way splitter, and then the DECA going to Sat-In 2 and the other side of the 2-way splitter.

The HR20-700 just needs one cable going to the DECA and then the DECA going to Sat-In 1. As would any other HD-DVRs (the HR20-100 is the odd one).

What are you using your other two ports for? (CCK and power-Inserter on it's own run?)

Attached Files:

4. otaliema

otaliema AllStar

Aug 9, 2012
    Mid-west USA
    Based on the hardware on the list you "should" have two open ports on the 4way.
    Do you have a CCK? if yes gonna venture on a limb and say the PI and the CCK each how thier own lines.
    Other wise where are the lines running too?

5. jksellman

jksellman Legend

Mar 22, 2007
    I have one run to each of the DVRs, one for the power supply and one for the modem (internet)....
    I have the modem and power supply located near my UPS....

6. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    With some tweaking both of these can be on the same coax, which frees up one port of your 4-way for your new HR20.

7. jksellman

jksellman Legend

Mar 22, 2007
    What tweeking will let me run the modem and the power supply on one cable?
    Also, just so I know, which 8-way splitter(s) will work?

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006