1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Sub and Install....remote location.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by mattclarke, Jul 21, 2010.

1. mattclarke

mattclarke Cool Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Hi All,

I recently signed up for DTV and WHV for my cottage. The problem is, the cottage is in a remote area and is without telephone and internet.

The install is scheduled for this weekend, and I have ordered 2 HDPVR and one HD receiver. The reason for 2 HDPVR is because there is a studio/guest house on the property that I want to have a second HDPVR in case I cannot get the WHV working (over 100ft away from main house.).

Can anyone suggest any potential pitfalls for my install? and offer any suggestions.

Thanks.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    No internet will just keep you from doing the On Demand feature.
    No phone line will prevent you from ordering a PPV with the remote.
    Other than that there should be no problems.

3. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    You may have some trouble with that much cabling in the system. The SWiM/DECA system appears to be pretty sensitive to signal degradation.

4. mattclarke

mattclarke Cool Member

Jun 22, 2010
    what if I used a slimeline dish WITHOUT SWiM?

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    How much "over 100ft away" is it really?
    Normally you have about 150' without issues.
    You can use RG11, instead of RG6, for longer runs which may be a good idea for this as you could still use the DECA network to interconnect all the receivers.
    150' of RG6 with SWiM would have about 13 dB loss, where RG11 would be closer to 220' for the same loss.