1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New Subscriber - A Few Questions/Observations

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by sdpadres, Oct 14, 2013.

1. sdpadres

sdpadres Mentor

Sep 7, 2004
    Yesterday, I had DirecTV installed. I was given a HR44-200 with 3 clients. Install went smoothly. It took about 90 minutes to complete. Picture quality on the HD channels seems to be on par with Fios. I do have a few questions that I hope can be answered.
    1. The audio volume seems to be much lower compared to Fios. Not a big deal, I just have to turn the volume up a little higher. Is this common?
    2. I was surprised to see one lnb on the dish. The last time I had DirecTV it had 3 LNBs. I do get satllites 99, 103, and 101. I get all the channels, so I guess I have the right setup. Does this sound correct?
    3. I setup our series passes on the Genie, but they seem to only be recording the next episode. Will it start to fill in the other episodes in the near future? For example, I have a series pass for the "Voice". It shows that it will be recorded tonight, but not tomorrow night even though Tuesday's show is in the guide.
    Thanks for your answers in advance!

2. oriolesmagic

oriolesmagic New Member

Aug 6, 2013
    MD
    I switched to DirecTV from cable 2 months ago, and I've noticed the volume to be substantially lower. My volume range is doubled on my TV from where it was before.

On the Sunday Ticket and RedZone channels, it's even lower.

3. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    1) I see audio differences between Dish, OTA and Direct. Require different volume settings on my AVR for the same channel/show.

2) Does it look like that http://images10.newegg.com/ProductImageCompressAll300/82-250-020-02.jpg

3) Directv seems to take awhile to build things out with the guide and series passes. Been that way as long as I can remember. You can setup a season pass, itll show zero set to record, but then show the "R" in the guide on that show. Check it a day later and all is fine.

4. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    For me, using HBO as an example, Dish would require a setting of -6.0db on my Onkyo, were Directv I use about -10.0. It varies.

5. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    In terms of number 2, the LNB for 99/101/103 has one feedhorn, which means from the outside looks like it only has one "LNB". That is correct, though. Previously when you had 110/101/119, there were three separate feedhorns.

6. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    Yes, that is common. DirecTV, for whatever reason, keeps the audio modulation on the low side.

You actually have 3 LNBs, they are just in one housing. They don't use 110 or 119 for core channels or HD, so the new setups don't have LNBs that receive these slots. Since 99, 101 and 103 are so close together, DirecTV puts all 3 LNBs in one housing.

It does take some time for the "to Do List" database to get rebuilt and to include all shows that are in the guide data. It should be up to date within 24 hours or so.

7. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    As you can tell by now, you're not alone with the volume experience. I still have FiOS and D* is always much lower. Makes for an adrenaline rush when switching inputs before adjusting for the volume discrepancy at times. :)

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Now, if only commercials actually followed the CALM act...

9. sdpadres

sdpadres Mentor

Sep 7, 2004
    Thanks everyone for all the answers.

10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It used to give them plenty of headroom for the DIRECTV ad inserts. ;)

11. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    I thought that I was loosing my hearing <hee,hee>.

12. Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway Member

Jul 25, 2013
    Ocala, FL
    Interesting to read the comments about DirecTV and volume. I've had DirecTV since 1996, and since I got HD in 2007 I have always fed the audio through an A/V Receiver. I can tell from my receiver the volume has decreased significantly within the last year.

13. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    1. The audio is very quiet for Directv CHANNELS... but Pandora and You Tube will blast through when you select them. I usually have to cut the volume in nearly half for Pandora. I had to move my SAT/CBL source on my Denon to +12 and all the others between -2 and -10. All providers vary, though.

2. There are a few channels on the 119 in the "basic" packages. Most are Spanish, but there is also Jewish LIfe, CCTV-English, and 1 or 2 others that MIGHT (probably not) interest you if you're not a Spanish speaker. Most people never notice the missing channels. There ARE a few HD channels on the 119 (Unimas, beIN Español, ESPN Deportes) but are not included in non-Spanish packages. Some markets have SD locals on the 119. If you do, they should have installed that for you.

3. Directv's DVR system is slow at updating, as others have posted. It also can be unreliable. Always check. On more than one occasion, I have had to manually record The Colbert Report. Some specific episodes of many shows will ALWAYS record because Directv seems to have varied levels of program data completeness. If they don't but the First-aired date, the Genie will assume it's new. If the guide changes last minute, it doesn't update.

14. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    Actually I now receive UniMas West HD (channel 408; 119° sat) with an English base package.

15. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Is that not part of your LIL package?

16. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    It's weird how volume changes with providers. Uverse is lower than DirecTV with my stuff.

17. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    No it is not, my DMA does not carry it.

18. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    A few of the Spanish channels are included with English packages, if you have a 119 satellite.

19. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Including MEGA HD (ch. 405) as well.

20. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Same here:

Premiere package and SL-5 dish.