1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New SWM installation - Help spec out the system

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by JDookie, Nov 25, 2009.

1. JDookie

JDookie Cool Member

Nov 25, 2009
    I'd like to set up a full SWM system, but am not exactly sure what parts would be the best to buy, and don't want to make a mistake. I went to solidsignal's website, but got confused when I saw all those dishes, splitters, lol.

I had my house prewired for cable, but now that I've decided to switch to satellite, I see that the DVR boxes require two connections each vs. only one like cable DVR's, but I don't want to run any more cables in my walls, aside from the fact that it's virtually impossible due to the fire blocks that were required by my local building code.

Anyway, I'm going to be using 2-HR23's, and 1-H23. This is all I've figured out so far.

Exactly what equipment do I need to buy to make these work with one feed line from the dish, and one drop to each receiver?

Links to solidsignal would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, is there any kind of quality loss by using a SWM vs. a multi output lnb with dedicated lines going to each tuner?? I apologize if my terminology is wrong, I'm still learning. What I mean by this is, would it be better to use a dish that has say four outputs that all go to the SWM multiswitch vs. a SWMline dish that only uses one?? I can install any dish I want, I just can't increase the number of drops to the receivers, but I can certainly run whatever line(s) I need from the dish to the switch in the attic.

Thanks guys, looking forward to your suggestions.

2. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    The first thing that will need to be determined is where your SD locals originate from. If they are from the 101, you can use a SL3s ie, this one:http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...MBPWS)&c=DIRECTV Dishes&sku=AU9-SL3-SWM-B-PWS

If they come from 119, then you would need the SL5S http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...nd-SL5SWM-LNB-Combo-(AU9SL5SWMBPWS)&c=DIRECTV Dishes&sku=AU9-SL5-SWM-B-PWS you would also need the SL5S if you want Jadeworld or Par ToDos programming.

Both those kits come with pretty much everything you need

3. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Have you had DIRECTV installed yet? If not, good chance you'll get a SWM system from DIRECTV. If not, you'll get an AU9 dish which is easily converted to SWM by swapping out the LNB and adding in the power inserter and SWM splitter.

4. JDookie

JDookie Cool Member

Nov 25, 2009
    We're moving the service from our hunting camp (which we are selling) to my house, and canceling my current cable service. I've decided to install it all myself, with the help of a buddy that works for the cable company, lol. I know, ironic, huh? :lol:

I could probably call D* and see about upgrading all the old hardware, but I honestly just prefer to do it all myself. I wasn't happy at all with the installation they did in the camp, and I know for a fact I can do a better job. I like doing this type of stuff. ;)

Is there an online tool or something that I can input my info to see which sat. my locals are coming from?? If not, can I just go into my current boxes menu and look at the signal strengths to see which satellites its picking up? Would that work? The two locations are only about a 30 minute drive apart.

5. JDookie

JDookie Cool Member

Nov 25, 2009
    RobertE,

Thank you very much for posting those links. I have a question though.

In general, wouldn't it be better to just go with the SL5 vs. the SL3 which would limit the receiving frequencies to only three of the available five? Or am I reading the specs wrong?

It appears that the SL3 only receives 99, 101, and 103 vs. the SL5 which receives the same 99, 101, and 103, but also 110 and 119.

Is this right?

6. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    More or less.

For the most part, the SL3 is the "standard" slimline LNB. It will get all current SD channels (with 1 or 2 exceptions, it's a religous channel), the XM buisness channels and all the Mpeg4 HD channels.

Using the SL5 is only required when your locals come from the 119 slot, you want that religous channel, want Jadeworld or Para ToDos programming. If not, the SL3 will suit you just fine. There is no harm in using the SL5 if you have a clear line of sight to all 5 slots.

The simplest way to determine where you locals come from is to look at your neighbors dishes. If most have the basic 18" dish, then they are from the 101, if most everyone has the triple sat, then 119 it is.

7. JDookie

JDookie Cool Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Okay, I understand. I'm going to find out tomorrow where the local channels come from so I can order what I need.

I'll post back with what I find.

Thanks again for the help.

8. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Also, if you do not need the SL5, then I would recommend the SL3. Easier to align, fewer ling of sight problems due to trees, neighboring roofs, etc. As RobertE noted, you gain nothing unless you specifically need the few channels that are on 119.

9. JDookie

JDookie Cool Member

Nov 25, 2009
    I definitely don't need those *extra* channels, and I'm going to look at the signal strength menu tomorrow to find out which ones I'm currently picking up.

10. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    isn't there a problem with self installing if you do not have an existing account at that location?
    thought I had read where some were not able to activate units w/o an installer coming out.

11. JDookie

JDookie Cool Member

Nov 25, 2009
    I'm moving my service from one location to another, and will have the "installer" come out to actually align the dish and such. I just want to do the installation myself. They can set it all up.

Have a question guys. I'm at the camp right now looking at the signal strength menu. It appears that its picking up the following:

32 transponders from 101
    3 from 110
    11 from 119
    14 from 99(c)
    16 from 99(s)
    16 from 103(s)
    14 from 103(c)

Judging from this, would you say that I should go with the SL3 or SL5 for the new location?

12. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Just because you pick them up, deosn't mean you need them.

13. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    You currently have a SL5.

14. JDookie

JDookie Cool Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Okay, but like you said, do I *need* an SL5 or can I get away with an SL3? Is there anything I can look at, menu wise, to help make the decision?

15. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    As previously stated, you need to determine where your locals come from. UNless they come from 119, you gain nothing from the SL5.

16. JDookie

JDookie Cool Member

Nov 25, 2009
    I understand that part, I'm just trying to figure out how to get that info. How do I tell where they are coming from?

17. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Look around the neighborhood to see what others have.

Or you can narrow down your location a little more than "southeast." What DMA is your service address in?

18. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    You can look up to see what sat/transponder your locals come from. One of us might have been nice enough to do it for you, but 'southeast' is a bit vague. ;)

19. JDookie

JDookie Cool Member

Nov 25, 2009
    I'm so sorry about that guys. That's all you had to say, lol. I live in New Orleans, LA.

I'm changing my location right now. Didn't realize you guys even looked at that.

20. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    We look at everything.