1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Tailgating Dish Setup

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Kev4Bama, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Going to try out this new setup this weekend. Have to wait and do my walk through until tomorrow when my access card comes in.

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    How are you going to hold it down. The wind load on the dish could easily tip the tripod.

Or is it attached to that magic carpet? :)

I see more than one line coming out of the LNB arm, so that must not be a SWM, right?
    Why wait for the weekend?

3. Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    I have to wait for my card and sat meter to get here tomorrow so that I can do a run through the same way I will on gamday. It is actually pretty sturdy on the tripod. It has feet attached that are made to attach to a roof so I can also put some screw in ground anchors in those. Im more worried about people bumping into it than the wind. on the tripod it is centered pretty well over the legs with the elevation and tilt so the weight of it helps keep it pretty sturdy. If wind is expected I might take a 20lb dumbell with me and tie it off to the tripod.

4. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Let us know how it works out for you.

Good luck!

5. humanjas

humanjas Cool Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Best of luck this weekend. I use the 18x20 dish modified with the Sl3 SWM LNB and havent' had to use a signal meter. Hopefully it's just as easy for you.

Not sure how far your home is from where you tailgate, but mine is relatively close, so I just fine tuned the tilt at home.

Once I get set up at the game, I just make sure the mast is plumb and level and swing the dish around to the general area of the satellites. From there, I just watch the signal meter on the TV until I get signals in the 80's. The picture looks great all day and the entire setup takes less than 10 mins. Hopefully you have the same LNB type (SWM or non-SWM) that you have at home. It's nice to not have to change the satellite setup once I'm out there.

6. Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    It is non Swm , it is the same dish that is on my roof and the same setup however I also purchased a receiver just to use with tailgating so i dont always have to hook and unhook one of my other boxes. I am using a sat meter because where I am putting it it is about 30 feet from our tent and I might have to squint to see the ole LCD from that distance I found a cool digital sat meter on eBay for about 35 bucks that had some good reviews so i am anxious to use that too

7. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    If you are new to this ,one of the more important parameters is that the mast is PLUMB. Setting up on the patio or level driveway is one thing, finding level ground at your tailgate may be another.

A bullet level or post level is an essential tool.

Some method or securing the tripod in a level position is good.

If mast level and you setup at home prior to travel the result in an easy setup.
    A general Azimuth and a little LT/RT fine tuning has you in business.

Don't under estimate the wind. Over the years two "Blow overs" with bent LNB arms were no fun.
    Pedestrian traffic or errant children's football have been < 1/year and usually easy to retune.

Good Luck

Doctor j

8. cborjon

cborjon Cool Member

Aug 13, 2008
    I highly recommend you build a base for your tripod. I have been through this drill several times at many a football game. Wind and drunk tailgaters are your enemy. An un-level soft dirt (makes it hard to get the mast plumb) tailgate area is even a worst enemy.

Get a couple of 2x4's and a piece of plywood. I had the guys at Lowe's cut me a 3x3 square from the cheapest plywood they had and then went home and cut the 2x4's and made a platform. At the tailgate sight, I used some wood screws to attach the tripod to the base and then put a 50lb bag of sand on the base to make sure it would not tip over if a gust of wind hit it.

***HUGE Advantage of the base is that it makes it easier to get your mast plumb.

9. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Tailgating for what team?

10. Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    Tailgating in Tuscaloosa for The Crimson Tide. I already have a post level that I can check front to back and side to side and attaches to the mast by magnet. There is a concrete pad I am planning to put it on and if not there in the parking lot. We are lucky to have some concrete and access to AC power I thought of building a platform but I need to fold the tripod up to put in the SUV.

11. Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    Thanks I only live about 60 miles from Tuscaloosa and according to dishpointer the numbers are the same. Im going to aim at 101 peak it out and hope for the best

12. Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    Well I did my run through today and NAILED it on the first try. Locked in a 100 on transponder 2 on the 101 and had high 80's and low 90's on the 99 and 103. It really is very easy I dont know why some make it out to be difficult. I did not have to adjust the elevation or tilt at all from what I had preset them to either. Lets hope I am sucessful today when we do this for real!

13. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Nice. Just remember to take your time and don't forget any of the little steps.

14. Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    Well not bad for the first run. Sidewalk where I place the dish had a very slight angle to it so I could get everything almost plumb but not quite. I adjusted my elevation about .5% and got a signal lock of 97 on TP1 on 101 and 100 on TP2 but my 99 and 103 were in 60's not where I wanted them to be but everything came in with not interuptions. What I might do it adjust my skew about .5 of a degree opposite the sidewalk slant and see if that helps because I cant go any further as far as leveling using the tripod adjustments.

15. Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    according to dishpointer at the game my skew should be 70.4 as opposed to 69.5 at home. I am thinking of moving my setting to 71 as opposed to 70 where is is now and seeing if this will not get my 99 and 103 numbers up a little hoping that since I can get the mast about 96% plum that will make the .5% difference back towards 70.4 what are your opinions when numbers are like that should I round the next nearest number?

16. wall-e

wall-e AllStar

Jul 19, 2009
    Hey Kev4Bama

what was the make and model of the signal meter that you found on ebay. i have been looking for an inexpensive one for a while.

great to hear that your setup worked. i might be visiting some relatives for a few weeks this christmas and would like to bring my box and want to try and avoid spending the entire time trying to find a signal :)

17. Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    I may build something like this but put the OEM mounting pole on the platform such as you would on your roof that way I can adjust front to back and left to right to get completely levell no matter what. I as going to attach rubber feet on the bottom to keep it from moving.It wouldnt be high off the ground but that shouldnt matter.

18. eakes

eakes Godfather

Sep 21, 2007
    I would cut a square of 3/4 inch plywood big enough for the tripod to fit on. I would drill a hole in each 'foot' of the tripod so it could be attached to the plywood base (permanently affix a bolt in the base at each foot attachment - set the tripod over the bolts and secure with a nut). At each of the four corners of the base attach a 1/2 inch diameter bolt to use to level the base (feed the bolt through a plate attached to the base - turning a bolt would change the height of that corner of the base).

In my garage I would level the base and attach the tripod. Adjust the tripod to get the mast plumb. Now when I arrive at the tailgate site, I can level the base and the mast will be plumb without any further adjustment.

I would carry two or more sandbags to weight the base to keep things from turning over. Also a large plastic garbage bag to cover the bottom of the tripod and base in case of rain (I don't want the base to get wet - water and plywood don't mix well).

19. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    a 1/4" or 3/8" threaded bolt cut about 4 to 8 inches with some kind of foot ( i use furniture sliders since they're easy to get at Homr Depot works.

Most tripods have holes in the foot. Bolts on either side allows a 4 to 8 " play on each foot and doesn't affect stability much.
    Doctor j

20. Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    What about instead of using the tripod attaching the mount that would normally attaches to the side of your house or the roof. I was going to use 4x4s for extra weight with 3/4 plywood screwed to the 4x4s. It would maybe be 2 feet off the ground but it would make it where all I have to do is set the platform in the same spot on the sidewalk each time and I would not have to adjust it each week. That mount has front and back and side to side adjustments which would help