1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New tests claim the Shroud of Turin is from the 1st century

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Lord Vader, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I've seen many documentaries and specials on the shroud, and since a carbon 14 test alleged to have indicated the shroud was from the middle ages, I had wondered if that test was somehow flawed. Following that test, many scientists came forward to discredit the test for a couple important reasons. Well, this news story seems to go further and explains that new tests reveal the shroud is, in fact, from the 1st century.

If so, this will have a significant impact upon many people. As one of my longtime friends, a Jewish guy, once told me, the image on the shroud is just too exact, too detailed, too unique to be a forgery.

Very interesting.

2. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    According to the latest testing, it dates to sometime in the 1st century. I'm no scientist, but I always thought it very strange that a carbon-based test could be truly accurate when the entity being tested was involved in a fire, having been burned itself, which everyone knows causes carbon to become more prominent.

3. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I'll await the peer-review studies on the process. They got three different answers and "averaged" them. I'd also like to see results of controlled experiments (as in performing those tests on things where the date of origin isn't questioned)

But that's the beauty of science. When you get something that disagrees with another observance, you study and experiment to find out why.

4. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    The Apostle Peter reported separate shrouds for the head and body.

That should be the last word for believers, no ??

:read:

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It reminds me of something Neil DeGrasse Tyson said regarding the Higgs Boson. He would be more excited if they discovered that it did not exist. But that wouldn't make for as good of a headline.

Regarding the shroud, I think some claimed that it was a hoax (or practical joke) perpetrated by DaVinci. I'd always doubted that particular story.

6. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    If my religious education recall is correct, it wasn't 2 shrouds as we'd normally understand it, whatever that means. :grin:

7. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I'd just be glad to hear they have conclusive evidence the shroud didn't originate on Vulcan.

8. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Well, from whatever science has taught us about the Shroud, IMHO, I think there's no way it's a forgery or created by the hand of man. It seems almost certain that it's the burial cloth of someone obviously brutally treated. The evidence of the injuries shown on the shroud appear to be so close to what Jesus experienced that the odds of it NOT being Jesus's burial cloth have got to be astronomical.

9. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    The shroud and it's significance have been interesting for some time.

The science used to originally determine its age has been flawed/inaccurate in other cases where carbon-dating was used...so it's no stretch to think that may be the case here as well.

It's all still interesting as we learn more over time.

10. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    The original carbon dating was called into question because it was take from an area known to have cloth that was used in the repair after the fire.

The London Telegraph also has a story.

11. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    The strange thing was that the Church, at that time, accepted the findings of that Carbon 14 test. You'd think the Roman Catholic Church would have raised objections or more.

12. bflora

bflora Legend

Nov 5, 2007
    Thank God we now have scientific proof and no longer need faith!

13. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Indeed. Science and religion working together can actually bolster one's faith. :)

14. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Sure, if you believe in fairytales.

15. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    It's no fairy tale that a man like Jesus or maybe even Jesus Himself was crucified. That much is historical fact.

16. bflora

bflora Legend

Nov 5, 2007
    The Roman Empire routinely crucified people.

17. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Really? Wow. I never knew that. :rolleyes:

But they didn't torture (via flagellation, a crown of thorns, and more) prisoners the way they did the man wrapped in this shroud. Nor did they crucify a bunch of men named Jesus. They did, however, crucify a man named Jesus, but not before brutally whipping him, crowning him with thorns, even piercing his side as was done to the man buried by this shroud.

18. bflora

bflora Legend

Nov 5, 2007
    The crown of thorns was unusual but the other tortures were the norm. The Romans were a deliberately brutal society that viewed any sympathy or compassion as weakness. They felt this made them superior to the people they subjugated. As to the name of Jesus, I did not know there was any evidence on the shroud of the name of the person depicted. As to the existence or lack thereof of physical evidence confirming miraculous events, that is not what faith is about. It is about believing that which can not be proved.

19. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    No one is saying that the Shroud specifically indicates the man buried with it was Jesus. It is extremely likely it was Jesus, however, because of the many injuries suffered by the deceased, injuries suffered by Jesus and not the typical condemned person back then.

20. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    We really don't know what he looked like. Most images we have of Jesus today are probably not accurate. Jesus was a Jew, so He likely had dark skin, dark eyes, and dark hair. Isaiah 53:2b, β€œHe had no beauty or majesty to attract us to Him, nothing in His appearance that we should desire Him.” He was ordinary-looking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.