1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New To Board - First Post-Directv Voice Search on TV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by sydkar, Nov 29, 2013.

1. sydkar

sydkar New Member

Nov 29, 2013
    New Jersey
    I had The Genie (HR 34/700) installed on Wednesday and I am having a problem with both of my iPad and iPhone apps utilizing the "voice search on screen feature".
    It works mainly for the first search, and then returns a message of "technical problems", "please try again later".
    Has this happened to anyone else? It's a real downer due to the new technology and my ability to use it immediately. I have gone through all of my settings and set-up options, making sure that my receivers and phone are all hooked to the same wifi networks.
    Anyone ??
    Love this site and board. You guys do a hell of a job here.
    Happy Thanksgiving1

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    have not seen that message. What is the verbatim

3. sydkar

sydkar New Member

Nov 29, 2013
    New Jersey
    The first one, on the app, says " I'm sorry, voice control could not be initialized"....That's when it won't even let me get to the TV screen, like now.
    When I can get on, I said "Search for Seinfeld", and it found all upcoming shows. And now, I will try a second command...
    "search for "honeymooners"

ERROR--Sorry, there appears to be an issue
    We're sorry, we encountered a technical issue. Please try again later.

4. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    Yes...I've seen that too. Trying to use voice command on my iPhone 5s results in exactly the same problem. On startup, voice command fails to initialize 3 out of 4 times. If you get it to initialize, it actually returns a result the first time you use it, after that it just says "We're sorry, we encountered a technical issue. Please try again later"

Even when it works, the results are underwhelming. When asked to "find James Bond Movies" yesterday (when 3 such movies were playing) it returned the response that it could find no James Bond movies and returned about 30 other titles. If asked to find "Bond" movies, it returned a dozen films, only one of which was actually a Bond movie and totally missed the other two that were on, and the 4 or 5 scheduled for later in the day.

5. sydkar

sydkar New Member

Nov 29, 2013
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the replies. You hit it right on the head. I'm going to keep testing it out . On my iPad last night I had three successful searches.

6. sydkar

sydkar New Member

Nov 29, 2013
    New Jersey
    Just wanted to thank everyone for the feedback.
    It seems as though the app has improved, and speaking a little bit clearer, as well as with shorter, more concise commands, has helped a great deal.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I think it has improved, and always helps to be extra clear. I have a Blackberry, but have used the feature a few times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk