1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

New to DirecTV, question about wireless

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by speeddeacon, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speeddeacon

speeddeacon New Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Well after much mulling it over, I'm switching from DishNetwork to DirecTV. I'm scheduled for installation on 12/5 which will be 2 HR21s and a Slimline Dish.

My first and hopefully only question (we'll see about that) is in regards to the wireless connectivity for online programming. I use a wireless router in my home for DSL internet distribution. What hardware will I need to connect the HR21s to my wireless network? My installer may have all the info but I'm not holding my breath and figure this is the place for all the answers.

Thanks in advance.

2. davidord

davidord Godfather

Aug 16, 2006
    You will need a wireless ethernet bridge and connect the bridge into the HR20's ethernet port. There are quite a few threads and discussions on this topic. I am using a 4 port Buffalo bridge that works well.

3. gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    Does the HR21 have networking enabled yet??? I am always unsure of that one.

4. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise DBSTalk Club

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Yes, Media Share is enabled, but no DOD yet.

5. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain New Member

Dec 7, 2006
    gcisko,
    Yes the HR21 does have the network enabled.

speeddeacon,
    You will need an ethernet bridge for each HR21. The HR21-700 has two ports on it that are a switch, both will work. If both are going to be in the same area, you can daisy chain the ethernet ports together and use only one ethternet bridge to make the connection to the wireless router. Otherwise each will need a wireless bridge.

You can click on the network help link in my signature for more networking help.

6. speeddeacon

speeddeacon New Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Thanks for the info. I found the excellent thread in the FAQ about it with more info than I can comprehend. Looks like I need to buy a couple of bridges.

Speed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.