1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New To Dish - Custom Antenna Install Question

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by scchang, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Apr 8, 2013 #1 of 13
    scchang

scchang Cool Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm new to Dish and ordered a 2H/2J installation in a few weeks. LOS requires a roof mount and I want to use a Commdeck as I've had good luck with them. My questions are:

1. Will tech mount antenna on Commdeck?

2. What are the options for determining a suitable location for the Commdeck before the installer arrives? In other words, I'm reluctant to mount it based on dishpointer.com and the DP AR Pro app.

3. Would I be better off having a custom installer help with Commdeck location prior to Dish tech appointment? Do the entire install? Does Dish allow this?

Thanks for advice!

Excited about Hopper!

2. Apr 8, 2013 #2 of 13
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    talk to that tech first, only he will be answer the questions

3. Apr 8, 2013 #3 of 13
    gtal98

gtal98 Godfather

Jan 30, 2011
    A true Dish tech (not a subcontractor) will not mount to a commdeck as it is not a Dish approved mount. Also, the cables need to be run to a Node or GB that is tied to your house ground and mounted on the outside of the house, not just run straight into the roof.

Your best bet would be to find a local retailer who sells Dish and get them to do the entire install for you if you really want to go this route.

4. Apr 9, 2013 #4 of 13
    charlesrshell

charlesrshell AllStar

Feb 24, 2008
    O'Fallon,...
    What is a Commdeck?

5. Apr 9, 2013 #5 of 13
    RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Apparently this is a Commdeck.

It mounts to the SHINGLES? That scares the daylights out of me.

6. Apr 9, 2013 #6 of 13
    charlesrshell

charlesrshell AllStar

Feb 24, 2008
    O'Fallon,...
    Thanks RasputinAXP. Never seen one before. Wonder how it is working out!

7. Apr 9, 2013 #7 of 13
    Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011
    When our technician comes out they will check for the best line of site, you can let them know where you want the dish installed. When they do an install they will use all DISH approved equipment, if you do not want it on the roof we can setup a pole mount (if there is a line of site).

8. Apr 9, 2013 #8 of 13
    scchang

scchang Cool Member

Nov 25, 2007
    It's actually flashed like all the other roof penetrations in a house. I wouldn't do it if other options were available, but I installed one in 2005 that didn't leak one bit for the following seven years.

9. Apr 9, 2013 #9 of 13
    scchang

scchang Cool Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thanks for the info. Does it matter if the node is inside or outside the house as long as it is properly grounded? For example, could it be grounded in the attic to a water pipe?

10. scchang

scchang Cool Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thanks for the info. I have a few questions:

1. The house is unoccupied/empty. Do I need to have any tvs in place for the installation? If so, do I need one for each location or can I move a single tv from location to location to verify function?

2. Would the tech install the antenna on a Commdeck if it was already in a good LOS position?

3. How many RG6 cables are run from the antenna to the duo node in a 2H/2J setup?

4. If I wanted to have a custom installation done, how would I proceed given that I've already placed an order and have an installation date with DISH?

Thanks again for advice!

11. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    The answers to your questions:

1. You can probably just have a TV to connect at each location.

2. If you have a LOS and this location provides the dish to be securely mounted, the technician would probably attach it there for you.

3. 3 - RG6 coax cables are run from the dish to the dual node.

4. You can call to have the work order modified for your installation needs. Please let me know if you have additional questions. Thanks.

12. scchang

scchang Cool Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Do you mean that I can have one TV and move it to each location as the install progresses?

Using the dishpointer iPhone app (DP AR Pro) and dishpointer.com, I have LOS. Is that reliable enough in your opinion? That's my biggest concern. Don't want to mount a Commdeck without being sure it's in a good spot.

Can grounding occur inside the house?

Thanks again!

13. gtal98

gtal98 Godfather

Jan 30, 2011
    No, technically the ground point is supposed to be outside the house. Also, a water pipe is only an acceptable ground source if you connect to it within 5 ft or where it comes out of the ground (enters the house). This is not the case in an attic.

You can get away with only one small tv to move to each location, but it's much easier if you can have more present.

And like I said before, I think you'll have a hard time getting a tech to mount to a commdeck - they are not approved.

You can always cancel the install with Dish direct, and call a retailer separately to create an install.