1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to Genie, looking for come clarity

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by cambo357, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Oct 9, 2013 #1 of 11
    cambo357

cambo357 New Member

Aug 23, 2012
    I just moved, and dealt with Mover's Connection. They are "upgrading" me to a Genie package for my new install. Yeah, new 24 mos contract, free HBO, etc for 6 mos, Sunday Ticket Max, the usual things. Now, I think I heard the phone rep say something about replacing one of my two DVRs with the Genie, but am not positive that was what he said. He also said I am getting a "Cinema Connection Kit", or something close to that name. I did a bit of reading up on the Genie, and the mini Genie clients. Is the Cinema Connection Kit the same as the mini Genie? Will the Genie work with my existing DVRs? What happens if the streams are crossed?

Here is what I have now:

TV1- HD DVR (not sure which model, I did notice the manuf date was in 2009, and overall it is laggy)
    TV2- HD DVR (again not sure which model, about the same as the other one though)
    TV3- HD receiver

What I think I would like to do:
    TV1- Genie
    TV2- HD DVR
    TV3- HD DVR

Is this physically possible? As in, can the HD DVRs access what is on the Genie? Will DTV allow this? I have WiFi, but have no issue running network cabling to where needed. Would this be needed/reccommended instead of WiFi?

The install is today, and I have a meeting at work that I just can't get around. The step daughter will be there, but has no clue as to what to ask.

Please DBSTalk, help guide me.

2. Oct 9, 2013 #2 of 11
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    All HD DVRs can see one another in a house set up for Whole Home viewing. One ethernet connection, which goes to the other units via the same coax that carries the sat. signal.

Relax! All should be good.

3. Oct 9, 2013 #3 of 11
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'm hoping the step-daughter is 18 or older though.

4. Oct 9, 2013 #4 of 11
    kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    If you don't specify, then the installer will install what's on the order. Take a look at the order sheet he has (or info on handheld). Which model HDDVRs do you have? Personally, I would agree..the Genie + 2 HDDVRs would be nice..however, that's 9 tuners and it will be a different install (SWiM16). He'll need to know this before he begins.

Good luck!

-=K=-

5. Oct 9, 2013 #5 of 11
    cambo357

cambo357 New Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Thanks for the help guys.

LAXGuy, not a LAX bro myself, but I do work for a huge LAX retailer.

dpeters11, yeah, she is way over 18, and yeah, still living at home...

kaminar, I left a note for the installer asking if we could do the Genie + 2 DVRs. Hopefully they will be able to do so. Not being there, I am kind of winging it from the office. I just looked at my account on DTV, and it shows my receivers as:

TV1- HR23-700
    TV2- HR21-100
    TV3- H21-100

We do not use the HR21-100 all that much. The HR23-700 gets the most use, but is also very slow, up to 20 seconds to change channels at times. I find rebooting it helps when it gets that bad.

6. Oct 9, 2013 #6 of 11
    Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    By the way, the Cinema Connection Kit is the internet connection device that Direct TV uses to set up internet access for all your receivers. It is connected to your router via ethernet and to your receiver via coax. This way all receivers can access the internet via coax through the Genie.

However, the Genies can be directly connected to a router via ethernet without a cinema connection kit. You can do this part on your own after the install is over.

7. Oct 9, 2013 #7 of 11
    cambo357

cambo357 New Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Well, the install is done. Looks like I had nothing to worry about. He was able to do the Genie with both existing DVRs. My account says it is an HR44-500. So now I should be able to watch what is recorded on any DVR/Genie on any other receiver? And 9 tuners? That is just begging to be abused by the GF and a ton of horrible housewives and reality shows.

8. Oct 9, 2013 #8 of 11
    Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Do you know where your SWiM-16 is located? That's the 'hot' grey box that has 4 wires going in from the sat dish and two lines out that feed all your receivers in your home.

9. Oct 9, 2013 #9 of 11
    cambo357

cambo357 New Member

Aug 23, 2012
    No clue where it is as I am not at home. But I am guessing that it is in the living room near where the Genie is located. There was an existing slimline HD dish on the house, but no power neat it at all to power thw SWiM.

10. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Hope you enjoy! You can turn on sharing of playlists, or turn it off: your choice!

And my lax is far removed from the airport, if that's what you implied earlier! Lacrosse is the game, often shortened to lax in writing.

11. cambo357

cambo357 New Member

Aug 23, 2012
    LAXguy, nope, nothing to do with the airport. We are one of, if not the, largest online retailers of LAX equipment. Literally everything you need to play the game.